Page 235 of 281 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,350 of 2806

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 235

mks8500 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    LOL I was wondering why you were responding to me about dairy. I said I looked at your diary on MFP. I was commenting that you are in general eating under your calorie goal. Your fat percentage for the last week was 71%-77%. Excellent. When I eat 60-70g of protein and keep fat at 75% or below, my calories are under 1400, which is much less than I have been eating.
    Oh duh! Diary, dairy...same difference ;-) I'm almost afraid to eat any variation of my menu last week since whatever I was doing was working. I really think for ME, the skipping of the middle meal makes the 60-70g of protein more attainable. Eating 3 meals a day makes it tough for me not to go over my protein. I'm also adding just a tad bit of coconut oil to my little evening nut butter concoction and I think that helps keep the digestion tract moving. ;-)

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Well, don't change anything because I am copying you. Just Kidding.

I may in the end have to admit that eating below BMR is the way to go. I lost 1.5 lbs after my first day on lower calorie after gaining this last week eating 10% above BMR.

mks8500 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Well, don't change anything because I am copying you. Just Kidding.

I may in the end have to admit that eating below BMR is the way to go. I lost 1.5 lbs after my first day on lower calorie after gaining this last week eating 10% above BMR.
    Copy away! It seems like our bodies work similarly. My calculated BMR has never ever been close to being correct. Has anyone felt the same? Maybe once my metabolism is fixed, but not right now.

I saw the 1.5lb drop today. Awesome! You're not doing dairy either, are you?

True, I dropped dairy because I am following Dr. Rosedale's recommendation of limiting sat fat in the first weeks. It has only been one week since my last binge, so I am essentially starting over. I am just looking for the right macros and calories for weight loss. So far 75% fat seems good. 80-85% was too much for me and I was doing too many bulletproof coffees to get there rather than eating real food.

As far as BMR is concerned, the calculations are correct for me. I have a GoWearFit armband that measures actual calorie burn. My actual TDEE matches the TDEE of the calculators fairly well.

I have always believed that one must eat no lower than BMR in order to stay healthy and still lose weight. Healthy meaning that the body is getting enough so that it won't feel the need to turn down the metabolic rate. That has worked for me. What I am testing now is the idea that I might be able to eat 10-20% below BMR, still be healthy and lose weight faster. Some NK gurus believe that one can eat below BMR if the food intake is well balanced. With 1200 being the low limit for most well formulated NK plans. We shall see how this works.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 03-16-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by martinus View Post
    PS: Yesterday I've updated the calculator to make it a bit more intuitive: Keto Calculator. I am happy for any suggestion to improve it!
    Have tried the new version. It is definitely clearer (can't mistake adjusting the carb no. now) so great work.

According to the calculator (I am 5'6 aged 49, 168lb, 39% BF, no exercise) my TDEE is 1691.

My Protein intake is 46g 184 cal (yes I know too low according to P&V but that number is working for me right now)
    My Carb intake is 10g 40 cal
    The calculator says min Fat at least 30g 270 cal
    Giving me total daily calories 494, which would give me a 2.4lb/wk loss, which fits in with the forecast.

Given discussions 1) & 2) under minimum fat I wonder if its possible to go this low & remain healthy & not lose LBM. CW suggests not.

Given that I have just gained 3lb this week (no loss of LBM) whilst averaging 1200 cals with Protein & Carbs as above, maybe I should give it a go
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-16-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by mks8500 View Post
    Copy away! It seems like our bodies work similarly. My calculated BMR has never ever been close to being correct. Has anyone felt the same? Maybe once my metabolism is fixed, but not right now.

I have never thought calculated BMR to be correct. For one thing the different calculators fluctuate too much. Congratulations on your success. Keep doing what you are doing.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    Have tried the new version. It is definitely clearer (can't mistake adjusting the carb no. now) so great work.

According to the calculator (I am 5'6 aged 49, 168lb, 39% BF, no exercise) my TDEE is 1691.

My Protein intake is 46g 184 cal (yes I know too low according to P&V but that number is working for me right now)
    My Carb intake is 10g 40 cal
    The calculator says min Fat at least 30g 270 cal
    Giving me total daily calories 494, which would give me a 2.4lb/wk loss, which fits in with the forecast.

Given discussions 1) & 2) under minimum fat I wonder if its possible to go this low & remain healthy & not lose LBM. CW suggests not.

Given that I have just gained 3lb this week (no loss of LBM) whilst averaging 1200 cals with Protein & Carbs as above, maybe I should give it a go
    So are you saying you want to eat less than 500 calories every day?

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    So are you saying you want to eat less than 500 calories every day?
    I'm not saying I WANT to. I'm just saying maybe it would work & prehaps I should give it a go. Desperate times require desperate measures lol.

I have been on 10g carb, 46g protein av 1130 cals for 3 weeks now so I must be fat adapted by now. From all I have read over the past month, carbs are un-necessary & fat is only required for satiety until the BF% gets into single figures. Protein should be restricted to an appropriate level. If the body burns 22 cals/lb/d then I have more than enough to keep me going in a fat adapted state.

I suppose in theory, as long as all those bases are covered 500 cals would give me optimum fat lose. Whether I could work out a menu to fit the macros exactly is another matter

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    good luck with it. I have been that route, several times in several different ways. Yes I lost it, but here I am with a seriously messed up body from the yoyoing. For me what is important is that what I am doing is not only successful in the fat loss category, and healthy (makes me feel good physically), but that I can sustain it for life. Restricting calories to any degree for every single day of the rest of my life is not sustainable.

Ancel Keyes did a study on starvation, interesting. Someone wrote a book about it. Very good, and enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    I have never thought calculated BMR to be correct. For one thing the different calculators fluctuate too much. Congratulations on your success. Keep doing what you are doing.
    You know, I have used three different calculators and I get the similar (within 20 cals) reading every time. I could see it being logical that your body doesn't actually burn the BMR calories calculated, but the calculators themselves are pretty similar even when they use a different calculating method.

As for only eating 30g fat, that seems scary low to me and was why I had a problem with martinus' calculator in the first place. It seemed ridiculous that he would suggest something like that could be healthy. The /r/keto FAQ everything about keto that the Keto calculator is attached to seems to suggest a higher level of fat..