Page 234 of 281 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 2806

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 234

mks8500 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Great Job Ddraig Goch!

Megan, wonderful report. I was curious to see your diary. I am now doing something similar. Keeping protein down also keeps calories down. That will be something new for me.
    I believe the only dairy I'm doing is HWC (LOTS) in my coffee in the morning and cream cheese. I think this helps me make it through lunch. And then the cream cheese is really only at the end of the day. I'm starting an herb cleanse today on the suggestion of a friend of ours that's does colonics. I'm not doing the colonics part but some of what she said about residual gluten and grains made sense so we'll see how we do on this for the 3-5 days that it lasts. We are able to eat normally during the cleanse so we'll see.

I'm hoping to drop the cream cheese during/after the cleanse because I really don't think it's good for ME. I've recently found out that my brother (we're built just about exactly the same) has a dairy intolerance and so does my son. Kinda makes sense that I might have one too. The cream cheese really helps with my fat at the end of the day so I've been mixing it with nut butters and coconut oil and just trying to keep it low.

My calories aren't affected much by the protein being lower but I'm still not quite where I need to be with the fat, I don't think.

:-)

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Ddraig Goch and Megan congratulations! Awesome progress. Keep up the good work.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mks8500 View Post
    and I'm down 24.2 lbs.
    WOW!!! Congratulations!

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Megan i have to say that what you are doing is obviously working so i would be loath to change anything. Also the Diet Doctor just posted an article about Optimal NK numbers and the are not as high as Dr Attia suggests.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Megan i have to say that what you are doing is obviously working so i would be loath to change anything. Also the Diet Doctor just posted an article about Optimal NK numbers and the are not as high as Dr Attia suggests.
    +1 well done on the lose Megan

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mks8500 View Post
    I believe the only dairy I'm doing is HWC (LOTS) in my coffee in the morning and cream cheese. I think this helps me make it through lunch. And then the cream cheese is really only at the end of the day.

I'm hoping to drop the cream cheese during/after the cleanse because I really don't think it's good for ME. I've recently found out that my brother (we're built just about exactly the same) has a dairy intolerance and so does my son. Kinda makes sense that I might have one too. The cream cheese really helps with my fat at the end of the day so I've been mixing it with nut butters and coconut oil and just trying to keep it low.

My calories aren't affected much by the protein being lower but I'm still not quite where I need to be with the fat, I don't think.

:-)
    LOL I was wondering why you were responding to me about dairy. I said I looked at your diary on MFP. I was commenting that you are in general eating under your calorie goal. Your fat percentage for the last week was 71%-77%. Excellent. When I eat 60-70g of protein and keep fat at 75% or below, my calories are under 1400, which is much less than I have been eating.

Soooo, I just gave the Keto Calculator another chance. Keto Calculator It really is a good tool. I like how it gives you so much info.

When I input my new macros. 75%f/20%p/5%c 117g/70g/18g with 1400cals, it tells me that I will have hit my goal of 165lbs and under 20%BF by 9/24/2013. That date is my 3 year Primal Anniversary.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 03-16-2013 at 07:22 AM.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Pebbles, that is a happy coincidence!

martinus is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Primal 123, If you read the comments section, you will notice that the creator of that keto calculator does not believe that you need a certain level of fat to reach Nutritional Ketosis, nor does he believe that limiting protein is necessary. For those reasons, I am going to take the calculations with a grain of salt.

The EMF thread is based on the NK research of Jan Kwasniewski, Phinney and Volek, and Rosedale
    Actually I think that limiting protein is absolutely necessary. You should not eat much more than it recommends or it will kick you out of ketosis, but you also should not eat much less or else you will lose some of your muscles.

The only thing necessary for ketosis is lack of insulin, which can be achieved by low carb and moderate protein. The amount of fat you eat is pretty much irrelevant for ketosis, because for the body it does not really matter much if it uses the fat you eat or your body fat for fuel. With the lack of carbs and protein, it will happily produce ketones from whatever fat is available. There is also a lower limit of fat intake because the body can give off body fat only quite slowly, but the calculator should take care of that.

PS: Yesterday I've updated the calculator to make it a bit more intuitive: Keto Calculator. I am happy for any suggestion to improve it!

martinus Thank you for your response and for your work on the calculator. Hopefully, you noticed that I tried the calculator again and posted about it on the last page. When I posted the above, I was having trouble making the calculator work with my chosen Macros and I was responding to another poster who was confused by the macros suggested for her. Once we figured out that you could change the values to fit your own n=1 it was fine.

While it may be true that the amount of fat does not matter to get into ketosis, being satisfied enough to stay there would be an issue (for me). Most NK gurus recommend at least 65% fat for satiety.

When I say limiting protein, I mean limiting to the least necessary for me. I was a little annoyed when the calculator told me that my chosen protein level was too low at 60-70 grams, but I am going that low as part of my own n=1 based on Dr. Rosedale's Plan. When I eat too much protein, I have a hard time keeping Fasting Blood Sugars low enough for deep ketosis. I am also concerned with cancer prevention. For most people, Your calculator comes up with a good protein ranges.

Thanks Again.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67