Page 231 of 282 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233241281 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,310 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 231

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    +1, exactly what she said!

But is that a physiological or a psychological response? So many of us have been ruined by CW diets. I have a dreadful history of reactionary binges. Doing primal/lc has helped a lot - I'm just not liking most of my old binge favourites any more. But the emotional attachment to the food is the real stumbling block. I'm hoping that I've finally moved past that self-defeating rubbish. I want to want the crap food, because of the emotional significance of those foods. And then I get angry and upset that I don't want them, as though I'm taking pleasure away from myself, and in the past have eaten them anyway. So I'm really looking to short circuit that whole self-sabotaging process.

Sometimes I want to scream, this can all get so fraught with emotional landmines!

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    for me, at least so far, I believe my current "binges" (which are not binges in the way I used to do them) all start with a nutritional deficit of some sort and are physiological as opposed to psychological. Because this last one I had forgotten I had not eaten lunch until I was trying to figure out why I couldn't seem to stop eating all of a sudden. Now, once started, I have trouble stopping. What I don't have anymore is the nausea or lightheadedness that used to come with skipping a meal.

I feel confident that after using tracking to lose the weight you will have pretty much learned what has protein and what doesn't. I also think that once the weight is lost, that maintenance will require at least a cursory continuation of what ever it takes to get there. If that means tracking and moderate proteins, well for me that is a small price to pay.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Couple of questions : the keto calculator recommended 101 g protein and 66 or 100 g of fat depending on my calorie choice. This is different then the calculated on front page of thread. Anyone else end up with higher protein using the calculater.

Do you add your expended calories to your daily calorie allotment? Livestrong adds whatever calories I expend exercising to my allowed calories for the day. Does that make sense?

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    A lesson in tracking - I have just eaten an 1oz of cheddar because I fancied it. Thought I was being good having a 'small' piece. Then I looked it up. 7g of Protein!!! Oh well, I wont be getting my chicken broth tonight. This moderate protein is very difficult to do on the fly. Doing this long term is going to mean a lifetime of tracking
    Same problem here. A lot of my problem, I think, is because I'm so used to centering my meals around protein. It's habit, and it's hard for me to break because I LOVE protein. Almost all sources of it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around not needing more than 3 oz of meat at a time and it's hard.

I WAY overate protein on Monday and that set off a little mini binge reaction. I've been "wanting" to eat more since then even when I'm not hungry, which hasn't been a problem since I started EMF. Even yesterday when I tried eating 1T of fat in between my two major meals. Carbs are definitely associated with emotional reactional eating for me, but I didn't think protein was.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Deborah105 is offline Member
    Oh dear. All this above ^ re: tracking forever, emotional responses to food, hardwired behaviors; is making me so sad. Depressed perhaps. I'm only speaking for myself here, but I'll just never freaking be normal. Gah

I still am feeling a bit 'bingey' the past few days. I have eaten more calories than I'm used to, but have kept my macros in a very good range. I'll post amounts at the end of the week for my accountability.

sigh!

I didn't even weigh this morning which may be a good thing. I only should weigh once a week because I get a big bit entrenched in getting results.

Apologies for the ramble! I should perhaps start a rambly journal.

I thank all of you again for this thread.
    SW 209 | PSW 203 | GW 158

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal123, I do not consider the calories "earned" by exercise in my daily allotment. I have my goal range memorized because MFP also adds to the calories whenever I do anything (even the day I slept off anesthesia I got calories added in!)

252dlp, I find that if I drink a version of bullet proof tea with a touch of stevia that helps quell cravings. What I add to the tea depends on what space I have left in my macros.

Ran across this article today and thought it was interesting, especially where it talks about levels on the blood ketones...Lose Weight by Achieving Optimal Ketosis | DietDoctor.com

EDIT: Deborah105, there is no such thing as normal! I have a dear friend who is very thin, and she is constantly worrying about what she eats. Now, she actually cannot gain weight - she has tried, but she still watches what she eats in order to not have cellulite, not get cancer, have a healthy heart, etc. So I think what you can expect is to find what works for you and do it until you have lost your weight and then beyond that continuing it to maintain your loss, until the habit becomes the way you eat and then it will feel normal. But you absolutely will not be able to go back to the way you ate to get to where you are.
    Last edited by demuralist; 03-13-2013 at 01:37 PM.

mks8500 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    Couple of questions : the keto calculator recommended 101 g protein and 66 or 100 g of fat depending on my calorie choice. This is different then the calculated on front page of thread. Anyone else end up with higher protein using the calculater.

Do you add your expended calories to your daily calorie allotment? Livestrong adds whatever calories I expend exercising to my allowed calories for the day. Does that make sense?
    Mine also came up higher. For example, I know I can't have 25g of carbs right now. I also know that the higher protein that they suggested bumps me out of ketosis also. So, I just adjusted a little bit. I moved the 109 to 70g of protein (it freaked out a bit because that's "too little protein") and then adjusted the fat to be closer to 80%.

Very cool tool!

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Primal 123, If you read the comments section, you will notice that the creator of that keto calculator does not believe that you need a certain level of fat to reach Nutritional Ketosis, nor does he believe that limiting protein is necessary. For those reasons, I am going to take the calculations with a grain of salt.

The EMF thread is based on the NK research of Jan Kwasniewski, Phinney and Volek, and Rosedale

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    252dlp, I find that if I drink a version of bullet proof tea with a touch of stevia that helps quell cravings. What I add to the tea depends on what space I have left in my macros.
    I've been thinking of trying tea or maybe BP broth...the two spoonfuls of coconut oil were okay I guess, but tea or broth seems much more appealing, lol. What kinds of things might you put in your tea? I drink tea from time to time, but am far from an aficionado. I've been looking at teas at Whole Foods, but really know nothing about them. My experience is with Bigelow or Twinings, lol.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Primal 123, If you read the comments section, you will notice that the creator of that keto calculator does not believe that you need a certain level of fat to reach Nutritional Ketosis, nor does he believe that limiting protein is necessary. For those reasons, I am going to take the calculations with a grain of salt.

The EMF thread is based on the NK research of Jan Kwasniewski, Phinney and Volek, and Rosedale
    What I did was take the low end of the range they suggested for protein and then played around with total cals until I got the percentages that closely match the Atkins For Seizures keto parameters.

You can also alter the carb amount. the 25 number is just a suggestion.