Page 230 of 282 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232240280 ... LastLast
Results 2,291 to 2,300 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 230

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    Thanks I've just realised & updated my original post. I typically stick to below 10g but I think the protein number is the most important (assuming you already low carb)
    Thanks for finding that calculator. That is the most all on one page and accurate tool for this I have seen.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I have had plantar fasciitis a few times. Stretching my calf before bed and when I woke up was critical also I was either barefoot or wear Birkenstocks. Both times it went away once I consistently stretched before bed. Reducing inflammation with diet probably didn't hurt either, I've learned that various things lead to inflammation for me including things like cashews, even a smidge of sugar etc...

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    I really don't think height has anything to do with how your pants fit or what size you wear. Just looking at the cross sampling of everyone here, it is clear that we are all different and there really isn't a "one-size-fits-all". When I was at my most physically fit, all muscle, I could not get below 160. We're talking 130-pound-hay-bale-stacking muscles. Before my life was that physically active I held steady at 135. Same pant size. Contrary to what CW would have us believe, the number on the scale isn't the be-all-end-all. I'm working hard at being comfortable in my own skin, regardless of weight, rather than stressing about the number on the scale not being low enough.

Believe in yourself
    Like who you are
    Never say quit
    Positive mental attitude
    I think you're absolutely spot on there. Body composition/frame size dictates so much of what the scales say. Just looking at our body in the mirror will tell us if there's more fat to go. It's too easy to go nuts being guided only by the scales!

Geostump, those results are awesome.

And here's an interesting new twist. Last year a Brit doctor did some extensive research into the impact of IF on health. The doco is called Eat, Fast, Live Longer, and it's screening in the US on PBS April 3. There's a website about it too, at:

The Fast Diet the secret of intermittent fasting: lose weight, stay healthy, live longer

Anyhow, the whole thing is really interesting, especially tying in to everything MS has to say about the benefits of IF here at MDA. In a nutshell, the program is: eat normally 5 a days a week, fast 2 non-consecutive days eg Mon and Thurs. On the fast days women stick to 500 calories and men 600. In the doco there's lots of great official medical/scientific info and test results. If you happen to hear a lot of scaremongering about IF putting your body into starvation mode, being dangerous etc, roll your eyes. The idea that the human machine is going to implode after 1 day of reduced calories is such nonsense I can't believe any self-respecting so called scientist would even suggest it.

I'm officially giving the program a go, but instead of going hog wild on the 'feed' days, I'll be sticking to regular primal eating, with my 'treat' foods consisting of some sweet potato and some berries with double cream. Non-primal folk have enjoyed huge success even eating non-primal carby stuff, but I don't want to get back on that roller coaster. And I'll report on what happens with me. I'm adding in an extra fasting day (Mon/Wed/Fri fasting, the other days regular eating) because I want to accelerate the fat loss. I'm also working out 6 days a week, 3 days non-chronic cardio, 3 days ncc with some weights as well.

For the record, I've dropped nearly 6 lbs since March 1st. I'll be very interested to see where I'm up to at month's end.
    Last edited by OzK; 03-12-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OzK View Post
    And here's an interesting new twist. Last year a Brit doctor did some extensive research into the impact of IF on health. The doco is called Eat, Fast, Live Longer, and it's screening in the US on PBS April 3. There's a website about it too, at:

The Fast Diet the secret of intermittent fasting: lose weight, stay healthy, live longer
    I saw this program when it first came out. Michael Mosley is a well-respected Dr/journalist who is always trying out the latest nutrition craze to see if it works. He is the UK’s human guinea pig. (BTW he first introduced the UK to HIT exercising) He started his ‘2 day diet’ by exploring weekly fasting but decided it was too brutal and ended up doing 2 days of lo cal over a week. Lots of people have had good results with it over here.

It was what got me looking into IF. I was going to try his diet but then realised the health benefits of daily IF are greater & found NK so never actually bought the book.

Well done on your loss. It will be interesting to see how you get on.

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    I saw this program when it first came out. Michael Mosley is a well-respected Dr/journalist who is always trying out the latest nutrition craze to see if it works. He is the UK’s human guinea pig. (BTW he first introduced the UK to HIT exercising) He started his ‘2 day diet’ by exploring weekly fasting but decided it was too brutal and ended up doing 2 days of lo cal over a week. Lots of people have had good results with it over here.

It was what got me looking into IF. I was going to try his diet but then realised the health benefits of daily IF are greater & found NK so never actually bought the book.

Well done on your loss. It will be interesting to see how you get on.

Well, he's a game one! I'd never heard of him before this. That's interesting about the HIT stuff. Clearly he's a man more interested in truth than protecting turf. I bought the book on spec a few days ago, then watched the doco that he did. What I like about the process is that you can easily incorporate low carb primal (which is a perfect health match for me) with the health benefits of IF, while not having to severely restrict calories or deny yourself a treat now and then or be too picky in difficult social situations. So for me, it looks like a flexible, doable, long term proposition. Which I'm not entirely sure strict NK is. Today's been my first fast day, and while not entirely terrible it is a bit empty. I'm hungry, but I understand once the body adjusts, the strong hunger fades. Brad Pilon 's been talking about this for a while with his Eat, Stop, Eat philosophy, but he advocates total fasting. This one gives you a bit of food, so it's more widely user friendly.

Of course there's much hysteria from the CW crowd - especially the ones who stand to lose a lot of diet industry money should this WOE take off. *g*

Even so, following this, if you make wise feed day choices, it is possible to remain in NK, at least lightly. And that's all to the good.

And thanks! I've got a long way to go, but at last I'm starting to feel I can reach the goal, after many years of struggle.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    In regards to the idea of fasting, I can maybe fast through a meal here and there and it doesn't disrupt weight loss. Anything more than that, and I can almost guarandamntee a binge.
    Georgette

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    In regards to the idea of fasting, I can maybe fast through a meal here and there and it doesn't disrupt weight loss. Anything more than that, and I can almost guarandamntee a binge.
    +1, exactly what she said!

calee is offline Senior Member
    It's interesting how different the jeans sizing is. I'm 5'4.

At 249 I wore a 22/24 in jeans.
    Now at 146 I'm an 8, or a 6 in Old Navy. Last summer at 142 I was 6 or 8. some old brands still a 10. I am trying to drop these 5 pounds. I hate dieting and counting every crumb but if I don't I gain immediately even with 60-90 minutes walking daily. 1400 is the top end of my calories to not gain immediately.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    A lesson in tracking - I have just eaten an 1oz of cheddar because I fancied it. Thought I was being good having a 'small' piece. Then I looked it up. 7g of Protein!!! Oh well, I wont be getting my chicken broth tonight. This moderate protein is very difficult to do on the fly. Doing this long term is going to mean a lifetime of tracking

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    The August date is putting me at 15.5% body fat. I'll be a fracking beast at that percentage.
    That you will! Holy balls! lol

This moderate protein is very difficult to do on the fly. Doing this long term is going to mean a lifetime of tracking
    That's what bothers me the most.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)