Page 229 of 281 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 2806

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 229

mks8500 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Regarding the shoes and barefooting...my doc wanted me in padded shoes, not necessarily arch supports, my home had all tile and wood floors. AFTER it was healed he wanted me barefooting mostly in sand (I lived in Florida at the time-so the prescription was to do a lot of beach walking).

My DH now likely has too much scar tissue for surgery, which he wouldn't submit to anyway.

To my doc, the thing was that while you sleep (or rest) you are healing, you need to make sure your foot is at a 90 degree angle to the leg, or smaller while you are doing either, because if you step down on it after it has started to heal in a shortened position (greater than 90 degrees) you re-rip the fascia and create a bit of scar tissue. The less often you do this the better. Anything you can do to reduce or eliminate inflammation is also a good thing.
    I'm in Florida now and the tile floors that you mention are exactly what I have. I have the 5 finger shoes and try to wear them but hadn't worn them in a while. I think I'll give it a few days rest and see how things go. I feel like I'm doing everything I can to keep the inflammation down with this diet so that's good.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by martinus View Post
    You can change the carb count in the calculator, just enter your desired amount of grams in point 5. I think 25g is already quite low, you are certainly in ketosis if you stay that low and don't overdo it with protein.
    Thanks I've just realised & updated my original post. I typically stick to below 10g but I think the protein number is the most important (assuming you already low carb)

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mks8500 View Post
    I'm in Florida now and the tile floors that you mention are exactly what I have. I have the 5 finger shoes and try to wear them but hadn't worn them in a while. I think I'll give it a few days rest and see how things go. I feel like I'm doing everything I can to keep the inflammation down with this diet so that's good.
    I got a pair of slippers with memory foam bottoms to wear around the house. That is no support but actually pads against the tile floor, probably acts a little like sand when you walk on them. I really think the key is that anytime you stop moving whether to sit or sleep that your feet are in at least that 90 degree angle. Yep, I bet the diet helps quite a bit regarding the inflammation!

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    For shits and giggles, I decided to break out the measuring tape and do some measurements. Neck=16", Bust=39"(down 3"), Waist=41"(down 5"), Hips 46"(down 5") Thigh=23"(down 1"), Calf=15.5"(down 1.5").
    Yay!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mks8500 View Post
    Has anyone ever had plantar fasciitis? I got THAT about the same time I caught my cold and it's KILLER. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions since it makes my runs really difficult. I've done ice, rubbed it on a golf ball and tennis ball, night splint and stretches. I have a triathlon in less than 2 weeks and have a feeling I'll just be after the "finish" rather than improving any times.
    My experience with plantar faciitis was that it took everything you said plus never walking barefoot (especially on hard surfaces) and letting it rest.
    Regarding the shoes and barefooting...my doc wanted me in padded shoes, not necessarily arch supports, my home had all tile and wood floors. AFTER it was healed he wanted me barefooting mostly in sand (I lived in Florida at the time-so the prescription was to do a lot of beach walking)....

To my doc, the thing was that while you sleep (or rest) you are healing, you need to make sure your foot is at a 90 degree angle to the leg, or smaller while you are doing either, because if you step down on it after it has started to heal in a shortened position (greater than 90 degrees) you re-rip the fascia and create a bit of scar tissue. The less often you do this the better. Anything you can do to reduce or eliminate inflammation is also a good thing.
    I got a pair of slippers with memory foam bottoms to wear around the house. That is no support but actually pads against the tile floor, probably acts a little like sand when you walk on them. I really think the key is that anytime you stop moving whether to sit or sleep that your feet are in at least that 90 degree angle. Yep, I bet the diet helps quite a bit regarding the inflammation!
    Yes. I had plantar faciitis in both feet at the same time. I got cortisone shots in both (horriblely painful by-the-way), which didn't help. My doctor said mostly the same as Demuralist's did. He wanted me to rest as much as possible for a couple of weeks with my feet up, ice, take an anti-inflamatory, NO walking around the house barefoot, and stretching the back of the heel (i.e., the runner's strecth where you put your hands against a wall with feet a few feet out so the back of the heel stretches). He suggested Birkenstocks for around the house and I got custom orthotics, which seemed to help a lot in my case. After it was healed I could walk around barefoot...I think once it is inflamed, the treatment is different than just maintaining.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    Yes. I had plantar faciitis in both feet at the same time. I got cortisone shots in both (horriblely painful by-the-way), which didn't help. My doctor said mostly the same as Demuralist's did. He wanted me to rest as much as possible for a couple of weeks with my feet up, ice, take an anti-inflamatory, NO walking around the house barefoot, and stretching the back of the heel (i.e., the runner's strecth where you put your hands against a wall with feet a few feet out so the back of the heel stretches). He suggested Birkenstocks for around the house and I got custom orthotics, which seemed to help a lot in my case. After it was healed I could walk around barefoot...I think once it is inflamed, the treatment is different than just maintaining.
    oh, I should mention that I had it 16 years ago, and not since, and I always go barefoot now.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Love the keto calculator and love that it uses MFP as it's preferred calorie tracker. I just wish I could adjust MFP to 7% carbs...

The keto calculator tells me November 2013. Love it. If I wanted to get to 20% body fat, I'd need to keep going til the end of January. Not sure where I'll be weight wise come 25% body fat, so we'll aim for that and work down from there.

The August date is putting me at 15.5% body fat. I'll be a fracking beast at that percentage.
    Georgette

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Okay, no personal experience, but I just read the 'Alternate Day Diet' by Johnson. You know how those diet books are, there's alway a range of personal anecdotes. Well, one concerned plantar faciitis. The diet is supposed to reduce inflammation, due to action by SIRT1, activated by the fasting days. He experimented with it on asthmatics(How do you spell that? It looks funny.) and had good success. A friend of his had plantar faciitis, and tried the diet, found relief in two weeks or so. I'm not saying try it, but you might want to read the book, or see if you can find any other research about it, to consider.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I loved the Keto Calculator until it told me I would not reach goal for over a year.

The thing seems to have "calorie fear" built in. it didn't like that I wanted to eat 85% fat and around 2000 cals

EDIT: If I put in Moderate exercise, it says I hit goal (25% fat) on 11/29/13. That is slightly better.

ah, but it has me hitting my goal in over 2 years. Of course would be better than the last 2 years so I shouldn't complain!

mks8500 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Okay, no personal experience, but I just read the 'Alternate Day Diet' by Johnson. You know how those diet books are, there's alway a range of personal anecdotes. Well, one concerned plantar faciitis. The diet is supposed to reduce inflammation, due to action by SIRT1, activated by the fasting days. He experimented with it on asthmatics(How do you spell that? It looks funny.) and had good success. A friend of his had plantar faciitis, and tried the diet, found relief in two weeks or so. I'm not saying try it, but you might want to read the book, or see if you can find any other research about it, to consider.
    I'll look it up for sure. I'm wearing the 5 fingers around the house now and I swear I'd love to hate these shoes because they're so ugly but it doesn't hurt as badly as it did earlier today. I appreciate all the comments. I have soooo much sympathy for anyone that's ever experienced this. Yikes!!

Megan