Page 223 of 281 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233273 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,230 of 2806

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 223

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah105 View Post
    I don't have a scale that measures body fat. What is the best way to find out your BF? I'm not going to go for a DEX scan, but I'd like an approximation. Or shouldn't I even worry about that?
    I probably wouldn't bother they are all different. the best one is probably the US Navy one which uses neck measurement (this is vwry similar to the one the British Army use too).

It's just that I am more hung up on BF than scale weight. I use a BIA monitor daily (which I know is out) then take the average of the British Army/US Army/US Navy ones every month when I measure just to get some sort of perspective. Another way is by eye (I posted a link to a group of pics on here a while back).

But I think it all depends on body type & personal perspective really. At the end of the day, if you are losing scale weight & eating the right amount of protein then you must be losing BF

PS for a female to show abs you need to have really, really low BF - its much easier for men
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-11-2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: ps

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Well, that was a cluster@#$% of a weekend!

Alright, not a total disaster (I fasted through breakfast both days, light dinners) but my downfall came in the form of a black and tan at the St. Patty's day parade at 12 noon. Combined with the immediate availability of sweet girls in green selling boxes of crack cocaine laced cookies, and well...

I am also fighting off a cold, and upped my (good) carbs a bit yesterday because I am feeling rotten. Back on the wagon today!

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    There was a conversation going on somewhere about low calories & starvation mode. Found this today:

Starvation Mode - Why You Probably Never Need to Worry About It - Fitness Black Book

PS I'm not advocating a low calorie diet for everyone - eg people with past binging issues or those worried about a slower metabolism & Volk & Phinney strongly suggest not going below 1200 cals but it is nice to know starving is not really an issue
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-11-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: PS

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    That is fantastic!

I want quick results because I'm a beast, but I'm hanging in there. I'm going to read your profile to see if you're in my age group. I know that being in my 50s does not help me losing weight. blah and grr
    I never would have guessed this looking at your profile pic.

I am going to be a grandma!
    Congratulations!!

I don't have a scale that measures body fat. What is the best way to find out your BF? I'm not going to go for a DEX scan, but I'd like an approximation. Or shouldn't I even worry about that?
    I use the Army's method. It measures neck, hips (at wides point of the butt), forearm and wrist (these last two to judge "body size" - i.e. small, medium, large frame). It doesn't really matter which one you use, as long as you stick with one method to see the downward trend. They all measure differently so they're all going to find different results. Consistency with one measurement is the key. They say caliper testing is the best if you can't do a Dex scan, but there again, you need to have the same person do the measurements each time for the smallest margin of error possible.

There used to be a site called MyBodyComp.com that had an AWESOME body fat measure... it took measurements from all over the body - head to toe - and used ALL of them in calculating your %. The site has been down for many years, sadly.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Figuring out my body fat comp is too much for me. I don't like measuring body parts. I prefer going by clothing as a measurement. When I start obsessing about numbers, things go downhill for me very easily.

After Saturday nights debauchery, one Capt and diet coke and two long island iced teas and shared wings, mozzarella sticks and jalapeno poppers with my husband. It was a belated birthday celebration. After that, I can tell I am back in ketosis. Breath is metallicy and I absolutely got dizzy and came close to passing out. I did one and a half cubes of bouillon and immediately felt better.
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Figuring out my body fat comp is too much for me. I don't like measuring body parts. I prefer going by clothing as a measurement. When I start obsessing about numbers, things go downhill for me very easily.
    I find body fat to be interesting b/c two people can wear the same size clothes and have vastly differing body fat measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    After Saturday nights debauchery, one Capt and diet coke and two long island iced teas and shared wings, mozzarella sticks and jalapeno poppers with my husband. It was a belated birthday celebration. After that, I can tell I am back in ketosis. Breath is metallicy and I absolutely got dizzy and came close to passing out. I did one and a half cubes of bouillon and immediately felt better.
    Wow... that was quick..

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've been reading that there really is no reliable bodyfat testing method. Errors from reading to reading on most methods can be larger than the difference you might be expecting. Even caliper readings in the hands of a skilled practitioner can be greatly affected by your individual distribution of bodyfat. So a series of readings can tell you whether you are gaining or losing fat, but not tell you how your present bodyfat relates to any absolute scale.

I'm watching how my jeans fit.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I find body fat to be interesting b/c two people can wear the same size clothes and have vastly differing body fat measurements.

Wow... that was quick..
    Both of these are true. For example, my 14 yr old and I have roughly similar body weights(both in the 190's) and she seemingly has a higher body fat percentage than I do. Yet, she can wear a jr's size 13 and I can't. Juniors size are definitely not meant for women's curves.

Oh yeah. Typically, when I do something like eating off plan, I can be back in ketosis in 1-2 days. It's really weird.
    Georgette

Lucky. It takes me about 4 days of perfect eating.

Deborah105 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    LOL, Deborah, I've always referred to myself as "fluffy". Even at my fittest and lowest weight (which was pretty skinny and carried a lot of muscle), I had a layer of fat that just wouldn't go away. My nice, hard earned muscles never really showed.
    More squeezin' for the teasin'! Or something. Apologies - I am so very funny in my head!

I love seeing abs and when women are working so hard for them it doesn't seem fair that they wouldn't show.

But with that said, I don't expect to ever have abs and I'm alright with that. In fact, I was watching Monster-in-Law starring Jennifer Lopez yesterday and she just might have the perfect body that I would like to strive for. I have always thanked her for bringing back the bootie, but she has a tiny waist, and is so slim from the side, yet has not-skinny everything else. She is my goal body. My GB. My fantasy hsis.
    SW 209 | PSW 203 | GW 158

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter