Page 22 of 282 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 22

valmason01 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sorry, I did not mean to be confusing. I'm not sure why there is angst?
    I was being dramatic for the most part . There is just so much information to sort through and find what fits best. I do know that I lost weight going low carb w/out counting calories or paying attention to fat. I am at the point though where I have to be more conscious of what I am doing.

This may sound like another dumb question but is insulin resistance the same as type ii diabetes? I see the term but I realized I am not entirely sure what it means. I am type II diabetic. I also have hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia. The fibro makes me feel like an old woman lately and I have to be very careful of any activity. I walked about an hour yesterday w/ phigment but today I am going to start w/ 15-20 minute walks and build my way up. I am starting a second job and very concerned about my energy levels. Any advice, thoughts, prayers, etc are greatly welcome. (and thanks for 'listening' to my whining, I have been doing it too much lately!)
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

calee is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jan,

Welcome! It sounds like we started at the same time. I started Primal on January 1st. I don't think of things as screw ups, I try to just think of them as my learning curve. My 1st month I had popcorn once and 2ounces of bread another time. I think that over the course of a month that evens out in the 89/20 of Primal Blueprint. I'm doing this to get as healthy as possible.

I think 11 pounds is amazing! You are clearly doing something right.

Val, I find that eating very low carb, high fat gives me a lot of energy. It sounds like you have health issues to heal so I bet patience is going to be your best friend. Other, more knowledgable people will chime in.

Post whatever you need/want to help you stay on track!

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    valmason01, I'm glad my tendency towards info overload did not push you away. I like to put it all out there. But This program can be done very simply without too much figuring. One could even pick a cal level like 1500 and then let a program like MFP tell you how many fat grams makes 70+%.

Insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome increases your risk of getting Type II diabetes and other diseases. I have insulin resistance, but have stopped short of type II diabetes.

Metabolic syndrome
    Insulin resistance syndrome; Syndrome X

"Metabolic syndrome is a name for a group of risk factors that occur together and increase the risk for coronary artery disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Metabolic syndrome is becoming more and more common in the United States. Researchers are not sure whether the syndrome is due to one single cause, but all of the risks for the syndrome are related to obesity.

The two most important risk factors for metabolic syndrome are:

Extra weight around the middle and upper parts of the body (central obesity). The body may be described as "apple-shaped."

Insulin resistance. The the body uses insulin less effectively than normal. Insulin is needed to help control the amount of sugar in the body. As a result, blood sugar and fat levels rise."
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-03-2013 at 09:26 AM.

After two days in bed with the stomach bug, my back was aching! This morning I got out in the sun to walk my 5k. I usually zip around the lake. This morning I flt like I was dragging myself the entire way. Amazing how week I got in two days!

I came home and ate sour kraut, cabbage and salt only ingredients. I want to add back some good bacteria to what I lost being sick.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Hey Pebbles! Welcome to Fun Gadget Land!

I have a Bodybugg and I LOVE IT... have had it for a few
    years now. Good times and totally fun.... and kinda addictive. Ha!

In other news, fail on protein again yesterday, but at least
    the fat was up:

Cals - 1343

Protein - 75g
    Carb - 11g
    Fat - 110g

% = 22/3/75

I guess my libran ways could justify the extra protein cuz I lift weights, but I'm still
    going to TRY an concentrate on getting it a little lower. However, I DO know that
    my lean body mass is 92lbs give or take, from a DEXA a year ago....so....... whatever.

Julie

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    Just a little n=1 experiment.. I have done the BP in the morning and the evening. I think I really prefer it in the morning for a couple of reasons:
    -it really gets me to lunch
    -it sets my mind up positively in that I do not feel restricted in my foods for the rest of the day.
    -I like seeing my stats afterward 1-c, 47 fat, 1-p something about seeing this after breakfast gives me hope and does not make it seem I am locked in a calorie/macro battle.
    Sorry to seem dense but what is BP?

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    bullet proof coffee I do believe!

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Hi Julie, I have had my Go Wear Fit (BodyBugg alter ego) for three years. I've never had so much fun with it as I have doing EMF.

Jan It is possible that you lost water and some fat all over and that is why it did not translate to inches. Keep up the good work!

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    I was being dramatic for the most part . There is just so much information to sort through and find what fits best. I do know that I lost weight going low carb w/out counting calories or paying attention to fat. I am at the point though where I have to be more conscious of what I am doing.

This may sound like another dumb question but is insulin resistance the same as type ii diabetes? I see the term but I realized I am not entirely sure what it means. I am type II diabetic. I also have hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia. The fibro makes me feel like an old woman lately and I have to be very careful of any activity. I walked about an hour yesterday w/ phigment but today I am going to start w/ 15-20 minute walks and build my way up. I am starting a second job and very concerned about my energy levels. Any advice, thoughts, prayers, etc are greatly welcome. (and thanks for 'listening' to my whining, I have been doing it too much lately!)
    Basically, yes, Diabetes type 2 is insulin resistance. It's just insulin resistance to the point that the pancreas is unable to make enough insulin to get enough effect anymore. It can only scream so loud into the ever deafened ears of the cells. So you add a megaphone, injected insulin. Now that's until the pancreas gets so bad it doesn't make much insulin at all anymore which is on down the road, but for the most part, people with diabetes are making a ton of insulin, it's just not working anymore.

That's why people who go low carb, or even torture themselves with low calorie/raw food diets, can get better. Because they are making insulin, it's just not working. Greatly reducing the blood sugar by diet will slowly improve insulin sensitivity. Exercise and good mineral/vitamin nutrition and balancing omega fats are necessary as well. They just won't typically work without the dietary component first.
    Last edited by AshleyL; 02-03-2013 at 09:43 AM.