Page 218 of 282 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228268 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 218

Deborah105 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    FBS-Fasting Blood Sugar. I check mine daily with a glucose monitor.
    Thanks!
    SW 209 | PSW 203 | GW 158

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah105 View Post
    I'm not certain if I have carb flu, but yesterday was interesting. Felt great when I woke, but during the day was a bit fuzzy. Kept going to the kitchen. I did drink one cup of bouillon. My calories were way over the mark. Weight didn't change.

This morning, after sleeping a good seven hours (yay!), I feel very groggy.

I'm wondering if the kitchen visits were more about bad habits (always scrounging for snacks) or if it was still carb cravings. I wasn't hungry, but I sure felt like I needed *something*. It's interesting to be paying attention to things I normally don't give a second thought to.
    ahh yes, habits. This one is tough to break. A hobby helps with the keeping you busy so you do not scrounge.
    Karin

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Deborah105 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    ahh yes, habits. This one is tough to break. A hobby helps with the keeping you busy so you do not scrounge.
    True this! I am very excited that spring is soon to be here. Even in Minnesota.
    SW 209 | PSW 203 | GW 158

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Deborah105, keep doing the bouillon it will help. Also, in the beginning I was a little bit looser with the calorie count as long as I kept the ratios in tact. It didn't take more than a week to feel comfortable dropping to where I wanted to be calorie wise. And it kept me from feeling like I was on a diet or deprived and thus triggering a binge.

mks8500 is offline Member
    Wt. 225.1 (-1.5 for the week, -22.5 since 1/1/13 )
    FBS 88
    ketones moderate

waist -1 inch

This has been a very interesting week.
    Sodium Intake
    I upped my bouillon intake to 2 cubes (2000mg sodium) thereby bringing up my total sodium intake to 5000mg as recommended by Phinney and Volek in "The Art and Science of low carb living" I had a one lb bump up in weight as a result of the change, which I lost within a few days. The biggest change as a result of this was in my energy and mental clarity. I had an extremely successful work week. I kept up with grading and I had a lot of energy for teaching. My students think I am on speed.

Lower Protein I feel fine on less than 65 grams of protein, but I am not seeing the lower FBS (under 80) numbers that one would expect on such a low protein and low carb plan. Maybe Dairy is keeping me out of deep ketosis? or artificial sweeteners? Not sure I want to go so austere with my program...

Weight loss etc. Of course, I would like more than 1.5 lbs/wk, but I haven't seen this weight in nearly a year. I am feeling uber sexy this week (as opposed to just plain sexy ). I know that I need to be patient, but I am dying to get back to my lowest Primal weight of 210 lbs. I dream of hitting 199 before the next musical auditions in early May. (I'm an amateur actress & singer)

Nice job Pebbles! I'm also reading Phinney and Volek and finding it interesting.

I caught a cold and dropped out of ketosis last week (maybe Nyquil?) so I took a little break from tracking the blood ketones. I also took a break from the scale because it seems like when I take anything (advil, aleve, tylenol sinus), I gain weight. Maybe water retention?

Anyway, reading through the book has been helpful but the podcasts have been great for me. I have quite a commute so I just listen to various low carb podcasts and before I know it, I'm at work. I'm planning to start back on the measuring of ketones next week. A few things that Dr. Ede mentioned in response to one of my questions had me thinking so I'm going to mess with those also. For example, she thought maybe exercise was lowering my ketones on the following day. She also thought that maybe dairy fat was causing my ketones to drop. So, I'd like to test each for one week but I need to get a week long menu ready so I can keep things the same.

Looks like everyone is doing well. I've been following the thread, just not posting. Still trying to kick this stupid cold.

Megan

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Ddraig Goch I need my Lean Body Mass guru(ette) I posted this in my journal, but in case you miss it.

I have done 9 days at the 65 gram level and have seen no marked change in my FBS. I think in order to reach Dr. Seyfreid's ideal FBS level, the second part of the formula has to be low calories. Dr. Ede got to the ideal FBS and the 4.0 mmol ketone level (and was miserable) eating around 1000 cals and 50-60g protein. I do not see that as smart or necessary for me at this time.

This week I gained 1.5% body fat, but still lost weight. My fluid intake was steady. This tells me I lost lean body mass, not fat. (Ddraig Goch, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.)

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    ^. Pebbles - didn't you up the sodium this week? So, if fluid stayed the same, but body had to adjust to sodium, wonder if that could impact things?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah105 View Post
    I'm wondering if the kitchen visits were more about bad habits (always scrounging for snacks) or if it was still carb cravings. I wasn't hungry, but I sure felt like I needed *something*. It's interesting to be paying attention to things I normally don't give a second thought to.
    When you open the refrigerator looking for something to do... Consider a hobby or a good book.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Ddraig Goch I need my Lean Body Mass guru(ette) I posted this in my journal, but in case you miss it.

I have done 9 days at the 65 gram level and have seen no marked change in my FBS. I think in order to reach Dr. Seyfreid's ideal FBS level, the second part of the formula has to be low calories. Dr. Ede got to the ideal FBS and the 4.0 mmol ketone level (and was miserable) eating around 1000 cals and 50-60g protein. I do not see that as smart or necessary for me at this time.

This week I gained 1.5% body fat, but still lost weight. My fluid intake was steady. This tells me I lost lean body mass, not fat. (Ddraig Goch, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.)
    I've replyed in your journal - we have a time zone difference remember

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    you know, organizing or cleaning as long as you are in there is not a bad way to spend a trip to the fridge. And if you have to do that every time you open the door I can guarantee that, unless you enjoy cleaning your fridge, it will cut down on the trips you take there.

I don't do the fridge though, there isn't anything fast and off plan in there, I am usually prowling the pantry where all the fast carbs and nuts are.