Page 214 of 281 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224264 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,140 of 2806

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 214

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    ***I still advise newbies to start with the calorie level that comes with the formula in the first post of this thread, then lower calories later if needed..
    I absolutely agree with you that the formula you give in the first post is the one newbies should start with and work from there.

I only posted to show O2k we are all different & what works for some doesn’t necessarily work for others. (I think we are singing from the. same hymn sheet here)

What I love about this thread is the freedom we all have to work on our own n=1.

Once again I am so grateful to you for starting it & your continued advice & support

Re the BMR: I wish I had a go wear fit device, I've heard they are very good - I'm having to do it through informative trial & error
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-06-2013 at 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    for me, my BMR almost always is the same using various calculations, it is when I start working in the activity level that messes me up. So I just try to make sure I stay below BMR but not too far below and figure it will work itself out.

I am totally with Pebbles regarding the eat when you are hungry situation. If I was any good at that I would not be here trying to lose weight. I also think that long before your body starts to eat its own muscle, you get into serious cravings and binge eating.

Anyone ever read this study?....They Starved So That Others Be Better Fed: Remembering Ancel Keys and the Minnesota Experiment I read the book and I will tell you that it is amazing what the human body will do to try to get the nutrition it needs.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Started this week at 195 (Monday)... down to 192 this morning (Wednesday). I'm glad to be shedding the water weight.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Good morning all!

Quote Originally Posted by BklynGirl View Post
    Oh and I promised myself a while ago I would buy a Grok On tee shirt from the website once I could do 3 real push-ups, so it looks like I'm almost there!
    Great job! I love your reward to yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    Today I hit another mini goal. My BIA monitor indicated my BF% was 39.6 so now I only have excess body fat. Lol.
    Woohoo!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Started this week at 195 (Monday)... down to 192 this morning (Wednesday). I'm glad to be shedding the water weight.
    Another woohoo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    That IS good.

A couple of years ago I read "The Beck Diet Solution" (which actually wasn't a diet though she has another book with one), and one of the things that she went over were some "tools" that developed the ability to say no. One of those tools was preplanning. One of the other things she advocated was to eat only when you are hungry and then only enough to satisfy the hunger. I lost a lot of weight following those two rules and using some of the exercises to develop the will power.

For me, the first bite is the key. If I take that first bite, I open myself up to eating the whole thing. I've never had a good "stop" mechanism, but I have a good avoid mechanism, lol. So, a good example is my desk at work. I have my ledge completely stocked with a few small bowls of chocolate candy. People ask me all the time how I can sit with that there and not eat it. The key is always the first one. I can sit here all day and not think about the candy, but if I eat one of them, I'll eat 10. I can even look straight at the candy and not want it, until I eat one.

And, that reminds me that I had a huge small victory (lol) yesterday when someone put an open box of See's candy in the lunchroom. I did look at it, and to my dismay, my all time favorite See's candy (coconut) was there. I thought about eating it--it was only 1 piece, but didn't. YAY!

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

RestlessLegs is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    Good morning all!

For me, the first bite is the key. If I take that first bite, I open myself up to eating the whole thing. I've never had a good "stop" mechanism, but I have a good avoid mechanism, lol. So, a good example is my desk at work. I have my ledge completely stocked with a few small bowls of chocolate candy. People ask me all the time how I can sit with that there and not eat it. The key is always the first one. I can sit here all day and not think about the candy, but if I eat one of them, I'll eat 10. I can even look straight at the candy and not want it, until I eat one.

And, that reminds me that I had a huge small victory (lol) yesterday when someone put an open box of See's candy in the lunchroom. I did look at it, and to my dismay, my all time favorite See's candy (coconut) was there. I thought about eating it--it was only 1 piece, but didn't. YAY!

Ahhh - coconut candy is my favorite, also. Congrats to you on resisting! Doesn't it feel good to exercise control like that? I also struggle with a faulty "stop" mechanism! Eat one, then the craving for more sets in. So good for you!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    I would agree that his strategies are a program for success. But where I differ is I think the very concept of willpower represents system failure.

What he did was basically to cut willpower out of the picture entirely.

What is the natural order of things? We get hungry, we find what we are hungry for, we eat that, then we are no longer hungry. The idea that we would intentionally go out hungry and while so resist eating for an extended period of time is not part of our natural program. Eliminating between-meal desire to eat means no willpower is even necessary to stay on course, as so many of us have found.

We are surrounded by people who have an interest in making sure we believe that it is about willpower, because people who believe it's about willpower will continue failing and rewarding companies that surround us with junk food and fast food, yet they will keep blaming themselves for not having willpower, for being "emotional eaters", etc.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I find that when my body "needs" something, all the willpower in the world will not stop the binge. By the same token, if I am getting everything I need, then my willpower is stronger. So how much is nutritional and how much psychological?

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    excellant points made. I am loving this discussion. I have to rethink the whole willpower role in my life. I can relate with if I eat 1, I am doomed to eat 10+. My stop mechanism has been broken for a long time, hence why I am here. I have a lot of "junk" in the house and as long as I do not have a taste or a nibble, it can be there no problem (usually). This is a timely discussion as I will be heading home in another week or so on a break and will not be at-home-in-total-control-of-my-food etc. I am planning strategies for me to remain successful. I also remind myself that its not like there will not be a variety of food or that I can not get myself to the grocery store if need be. Old habits though...
    Karin

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I find that when my body "needs" something, all the willpower in the world will not stop the binge. By the same token, if I am getting everything I need, then my willpower is stronger. So how much is nutritional and how much psychological?
    Yes, I can also relate to this. And perhaps this very thing is why I was able to resist the See's yesterday. I wrote in my journal this morning that I am finally feeling a bit more energy. Not a lot, but more than I've had in the last 2 years. I feel satisfied, but not too full or stuffed...just satisfied, and maybe that's why I was able to leave the See's.

I remember a few years ago...I had a HUGE craving for chocolate. At that time, it wasn't even about the sugar (which I think I might have a small addiction to), but I stared at my container of unsweetened cocoa powder for a long time wondering if I could get a spoonful down, lol. I finally did mix it with something, but the urge to eat that was strong. What could be in cocoa powder that my body would need? I asked a few people that, including my doctor and someone (not sure it was my doctor) said it might be a magnesium deficiency. Don't know if that is true, but I did start taking some magnesium and thereafter my cravings were mostly for sweets. Could all be in my mind though, lol.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html