Page 212 of 282 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214222262 ... LastLast
Results 2,111 to 2,120 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 212

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    take care of yourself tomi!

regarding the bone broth...I save the trimmings when I cut up veggies, onions, and garlic and put them all together in a container I keep in the freezer, because this is what my grandmother did. This includes the end and skins of everything. But I have no idea, nor can I find anything online, that will give the macros. When I roast the bones it renders fat, and I pour that off to use for cooking. I also filter off fat after I strain it, again for cooking. So it is pretty low in fat, and I would add a pat or two of butter if I was drinking it out of the cup. But mostly I use mine to make soups and general cooking. When I track there is a homemade bone broth in MFP I think, and I just use that.

Geo, it freezes beautifully if you end up with leftovers.

p.s. I forgot to mention, the broth sits at least 48 hours in the crock pot. But it depends on the bones, it needs to go long enough to release the marrow, then I usually let it go another overnight after that.
    Last edited by demuralist; 03-05-2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: add p.s.

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I did my first walk today through the hilly 'hood I occupy and for the first time in like ever, I didn't need my inhaler half way through the walk. I am an asthmatic, so I take it with me. I did use it when I got home to help slow my breath down but that was it. No hyperventilation or anything like that. I walked for 27 minutes and it was amazing to me how easy it was. Even going uphill seemed like a breeze.
    Brilliant!

I found my 15k on the cross trainer yesterday morning felt easier. I'm approaching the end of wk 2 in NK and I think my body is starting to settle in. I had my second day of suppressed appetite, which is really going to take some getting used to.

Question for the hive mind: How do you reconcile the need for a certain calorie intake to stop slowing of the metabolism with the suppressed appetite thing?

For me the fat calories add up quickly enough that I don't have problems hitting my calorie intake even with appetite suppression. fat doesn't take up much room in the belly and I can always add it to drinks and whatever I do eat.

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    For me the fat calories add up quickly enough that I don't have problems hitting my calorie intake even with appetite suppression. fat doesn't take up much room in the belly and I can always add it to drinks and whatever I do eat.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. My appetite is feeling very suppressed, so I'm struggling to eat enough to hit my calorie total. Even with fat. So what does being in deep NK/appetite suppression do to the BMR requirements? Is the body automatically making up the difference with increased fat burning for energy requirements?

Ah. Sorry that one is beyond the scope of my knowledge. In fact i would venture to say that at best, with a bit of googling, you will find an educated guess. From an N=1 stand point, you can keep meticulous notes and see what happens to you when you dont reach your BMR. Having read Dr. Attia's blog as well as a couple of others doing a Deep Nk experiment, I dont remember seeing anything about not being able to eat enough, fat or orherwise, to reach BMR. In fact Dr. Attis eats over 3,000 calories daily. Have you checked out his blog to see if there is some insight to glean from it?

ps are you on MFP just curious about what it you are eating to get into the deep nk/appetite suppression
    Last edited by demuralist; 03-05-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Add ps

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    OzK, How much below your BMR are you eating?

Some believe that you can follow the lack of hunger and lower your calories significantly, but the people who have been successful long term in NK have kept their calories up to at least their BMR. I believe "starvation mode" exists no matter what eating plan you are following, especially for women. I believe eating two few calories long term will eventually lead to stalls if not binge behavior as your body begins demanding nutrition. That's my 2 cents.

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    OzK, How much below your BMR are you eating?

Some believe that you can follow the lack of hunger and lower your calories significantly, but the people who have been successful long term in NK have kept their calories up to at least their BMR. I believe "starvation mode" exists no matter what eating plan you are following, especially for women. I believe eating two few calories long term will eventually lead to stalls if not binge behavior as your body begins demanding nutrition. That's my 2 cents.
    If I eat via the Optimal plan macros I'm sitting pretty much on target of my BMR, which is another nice coincidence. And I'm quite comfortable with that intake, or I was until yesterday/today when I've really noticed the difference in my hunger cues. So that's pretty new to me, not being hungry, not needing to reach for food the minute I wake up. So yes, I guess I need to keep an eye on the scales and how I'm feeling, not feeling weak and undernourished and stuff. You're right, long term there is some health risk. Ah, the joys of N=1 *g*

Demuralist, I am reading through Attia's blog, I like it a lot! But right now I'd gag if I tried to eat that much. Mind you, I'm not working out the way he is. Right now I'm doing @60 mins steady state, non-chronic cardio. Need to rebuild my base level of fitness before I start getting jiggy with it. I'll see how I feel increasing exercise next week, add in some kettle bell work.

Food wise, my macros per the Optimal formula (because I do not have the time or patience for MFP, which is sad for me!) is 60 gms protein, 30 gms carb, 120 gms fat. Given that I have a history of emotional/binge eating, I'm extremely reluctant to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry. I guess I'm heading into suck it and see territory!

Thanks for the input, gals!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you have it all under control.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertcreature View Post
    Thank you for this tip - I will use the whole onion. I don't know if I am patient enough to wait 72 hours though!
    I've got a batch of chicken bone broth in the crockpot right now and will have a cup of it in the morning. I'll add more water to make up the change in liquids and add a little more vinegar to the stuff.
    Georgette

Hey i just thought, I think someone asked about the smell of cooking the bone broth. Mine doesn't have that smell when I include the veggie clippings including garlic. Also, if you saute garlic and onions while cooking even if you arent going to eat it cause it makes the house smell amazing.