Page 21 of 280 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 21

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    just reading Ashley's response I realized that my arthritic thumbs have not been bothering me (well except after I spent hours using scissors to cut up DD's t-shirts for a t-shirt quilt I am making).

another non-scale victory!!!

p.s. I have decided that if I don't really lose weight on my March weigh in that I will invest in a blood meter as well as reading their book, our library doesn't have it as an e-version yet.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    I would love to find out more about the lotions as well. Thanks for bringing this up. I'm taking MSM and fish oil now. I started last month and am not sure how long it takes to kick in but I see some early signs of sag starting to happen....there's a hint of it at the very top of my thighs in front, and of course the dreaded under arm thing. I'm 58 and have about 80 lbs to lose so I think it might be inevitable but boy am I going to fight it tooth and nail. I am aiming for slow weight loss here, so my skin can *hopefully* catch up with the rest of me. Also lifting weights. I will add the skin brushing to my routine, and get some vitamin e caps as well. What about applying vit e to your skin?
    Vase, from what I read, applying vitamin E oil to the skin is good, but optimum is to ingest it. Like with food, it heals your body from the inside out. I'm going to start this today.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    For those interested in arguments for and against managing your carbs and protein (read - managing your insulin) for weight loss and behavioral success (binge control?), I suggest Do not miss | Ad Libitum and reading all the links she provided (Wooo's blog is ... intense ).

I can't find a way to copy it, but the graph on page 11 of 144 (location 205 of 2184 in the Kindle edition) of Phinney & Volek's Art of Low Carbohydrate Performance is what you need to understand -- especially, if (like me) your carb tolerance is pretty low.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    For the person asking about why some of us are doing this. I will be 37 next month and have essentially spent the past 26 years of my life overweight and at some points morbidly obese. I am an emotional eater, have been know to binge on occasion. I also am working on overcoming issues such as PCOS, periodic high BP and now, as of yesterday, I can add arthritis to the mix. IR is gone(thank God) and just getting into overall better health. This WOE has kept me from having major binges which at any sign of stress, I can eat like no other. Plus, I am a much happier person and I have noticed improvements in health in other aspects of my life. Like everyone has said, this is an extreme form of primal for those of us with extreme issues. If you are new to this lifestyle, please follow regular old primal for about 3-6 months and adjust from there.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Has anyone read this? Eat Fat Grow Slim! From 1958. Might be interesting. I'm going to look through it. Interesting that this was being promoted so long ago.

Eat Fat And Grow Slim by Richard Mackarness (1958)

Jan
    Jan is offline Junior Member
    Hello everyone. This is my first post since joining MDA. I have been primal of a month now and am doing pretty well. I have had some screw ups but for the first time I am not beating myself up. I just get right back up and start again. I have been reading this post about high fat and ketosis. I believe I am doing this at a modest level. I lost 11 lbs my first month which I was excited about but I have a question. I did not lose any size. I measured myself again at the end of the month and there were no changes. I was really surprised about that. Do you think I just lost water the first month? Everyone talks about how many inches they lose even when the scale doesn't move. Is this normal starting out? I'm not really discourage but it makes me wonder if I'm doing this right? Any ideas?

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Just a little n=1 experiment.. I have done the BP in the morning and the evening. I think I really prefer it in the morning for a couple of reasons:
    -it really gets me to lunch
    -it sets my mind up positively in that I do not feel restricted in my foods for the rest of the day.
    -I like seeing my stats afterward 1-c, 47 fat, 1-p something about seeing this after breakfast gives me hope and does not make it seem I am locked in a calorie/macro battle.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Hello everyone. This is my first post since joining MDA. I have been primal of a month now and am doing pretty well. I have had some screw ups but for the first time I am not beating myself up. I just get right back up and start again. I have been reading this post about high fat and ketosis. I believe I am doing this at a modest level. I lost 11 lbs my first month which I was excited about but I have a question. I did not lose any size. I measured myself again at the end of the month and there were no changes. I was really surprised about that. Do you think I just lost water the first month? Everyone talks about how many inches they lose even when the scale doesn't move. Is this normal starting out? I'm not really discourage but it makes me wonder if I'm doing this right? Any ideas?
    A lot of this could be water, however if you are lifting heavy things or working out, you could be adding muscle. There are others more knowledgeable than me. One thing to consider as well is after years of eating a CW diet, your body is healing on the inside.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    It could also be that you are losing visceral fat, the stuff that is lurking around internal organs.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Jan
    Jan is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I haven't been working out yet. That was going to be my "month two" goal. I remembered the ketosis strips from my Atkins days years ago. I was using those occasionally and they were almost always purple. Which, I thought, meant I was burning fat. Like I said, I'm not really discouraged but sure hope month two shows some reduction in size not just weight on the scale.