Page 204 of 282 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214254 ... LastLast
Results 2,031 to 2,040 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 204

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    just an fyi, in case you forget your dressing, you could always ask for vinegar and oil, and usually something like a blue cheese dressing will be relatively safe for every once in a while. I know that there is a probability that they use less than desirable oil sources, but the rare occasion is not going to do that much damage. Also watch out for the condiments on the burger, that is where you will often find hidden sugar.
    Thanks will report back

Thumbs up

Good morning everyone!
    I just need to give myself a public pat on the back: I went for an hour hike with just my dog yesterday morning - my first physical activity in a very long time. The weather was perfect and the desert is just starting to green up.
    Then I started preparing a dinner I was having for old friends visiting from out of town. I didn't want to change my menu to include anything non-primal, and I didn't want to have to explain anything either.
    I made a spinach salad with avocados, roasted grape tomatoes and full fat Italian dressing. Then I served three recipes from Everyday Paleo: Family Cookbook by Sarah Fragoso. Slow Cooker Chicken Curry served over Riced Cauliflower and Roasted Squash Bites. They brought two bottles of red wine (perfect!). Everything came out great, my guests loved everything, and nobody missed the absent starches. I was so proud of how everything looked and tasted! (I tried to take a photo but my camera battery was dead! Crap...).
    Anyway, I just wanted to share something good on a Monday morning... Hope everyone has a great week!

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Hello All!

I am working on getting back into ketosis, with the goal of losing weight. I had surgery in Jan with a really tough recovery, was eating for pain control (not good) and exercise restrictions. Now fully cleared for activity, and need to get back into the swing of things!

I have been working out hard and clean paleo eating for about 3 weeks now, with only a 2 lb weight loss. Frustrating. Last week I realized that I need to get back into ketosis, so started modifying eating accordingly. I am now doing a 16-18 hour fast daily (through breakfast), then lunch and dinner with no snacks between or after. I have been using MFP to start tracking, and working on getting my macros under proportion. I am amazed at the quick add up of calories!

For example, today (so far):

Tea with 1 tb HWC (alright, for the purists, I technically 'broke' the fast here with 20 cals)

Lunch: Salad with
    @ 3 cups lettuce, celery, cabbage, carrot (a little)
    1/2 can sardines
    1 HB egg
    1 slice bacon, chopped
    1/6 cup sunflower seeds
    2 Tb olive oil
    splash balsamic vinegar

For a grand total of 720 calories!! My goal in 1200/day, so I have 480 left over for the day. Macros for this salad are dead on 77/15/7, but kripes a 480 calorie dinner is tough! Any suggestions on how to modify this?

I am exercising 5 days/week, with boosting daily activity also (more walking). Hoping to see some forward progress soon. Yesterday during a fasted workout I finally hit stinky ketosis breath, so maybe I will start losing soon.

I am a 38 y.o female, 5'5", 170 lbs right now. Goal is 140. I will be weighing frequently, as my issue is ignoring the scale and saying 'I feel thinner!" with a heavy dose of denial. I need that objective check in to keep me on track.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    This has been a revelation to me too since starting EMF. I used to quite happily eat a large chicken breast in a single portion & think I was being good. Now I know a correct portion size for me is approx 3oz a single chicken now lasts me 5-7 meals instead of 2, which is great news since I am on a stupidly tight budget at the moment. It also means, of course, that eating grass fed or organic should not break the bank as the extra cost can be off-set by the money saved using the correct portion control

NB: I used to buy a small kebab (meat & salad only) from the local vendor occasionally & split it into 2 meals. Now I would have to split it into 3 to keep within my daily macros

I think a lot of the western worlds obesity issues have stemmed from fast food vendors & restaurants introducing stupid portion sizes.
    ohmygosh.. this!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertcreature View Post
    I just need to give myself a public pat on the back...Anyway, I just wanted to share something good on a Monday morning... Hope everyone has a great week!
    Great job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    I am a 38 y.o female, 5'5", 170 lbs right now. Goal is 140. I will be weighing frequently, as my issue is ignoring the scale and saying 'I feel thinner!" with a heavy dose of denial. I need that objective check in to keep me on track.
    Don't really have any suggestions for dinner calories...I'm still struggling a bit to get my macros right. I have to weigh everyday to keep myself on track...I definitely have a denial streak.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Unicorn By my calculations, You should be eating 1536 cals 140 lb = 64 KG

64g protein
    32g carb
    128 g fat

This is based on the formula in the first post of this thread and is a good place to start.

Your BMR (cals your body would burn in a coma) is about 1500 as well. You should not eat under your BMR. You could force your body to slow down your metabolism. With exercise you are burning 2000 cals.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 03-04-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    desert creature Awesome job! I need to use that cookbook. I own it too.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Yes. This is a new book written by Phinney and Volek. The same guys who wrote "The Art and Science of low carb living".
    Thanks, I'll go have a look.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    For example, today (so far):

Tea with 1 tb HWC (alright, for the purists, I technically 'broke' the fast here with 20 cals)

Lunch: Salad with
    @ 3 cups lettuce, celery, cabbage, carrot (a little)
    1/2 can sardines
    1 HB egg
    1 slice bacon, chopped
    1/6 cup sunflower seeds
    2 Tb olive oil
    splash balsamic vinegar

For a grand total of 720 calories!! My goal in 1200/day, so I have 480 left over for the day. Macros for this salad are dead on 77/15/7, but kripes a 480 calorie dinner is tough! Any suggestions on how to modify this?

I am exercising 5 days/week, with boosting daily activity also (more walking). Hoping to see some forward progress soon. Yesterday during a fasted workout I finally hit stinky ketosis breath, so maybe I will start losing soon.

What I usually do is to track everything I want to eat, before I eat it, in MFP. Then I look at the macros and totals and see if it is workable-ie. are the numbers falling in line and do I have enough left for the rest of the day. I have now gotten into the habit of pre-tracking the whole day, this gives me better control to decide where and how I want to spend my macros.

For today, fish and chicken are pretty cheap caloried nutrition, as well as leafy greens say some spinach with a cream sauce.

p.s. I don't think there are any purists on this thread (at least I hope not).

geostump is offline Senior Member
    This was the first day in about 2 weeks I've worked out and OMG, I could definitely tell a difference in my lifting ability. I was still using the same weights I always have (12 pound dumbbells) but they were so much lighter? I ended up increasing my reps and the slowed down the moves and got a killer workout in. Felt good, real good.
    Georgette