Page 202 of 282 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 202

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Would someone remind me again about the name of the Atkins book that covers Low Carb, High Fat?
    If you're looking for the book by Atkins, as opposed to up date of his program written after his death, you can look for The New Atkins Diet Revolution. That's the update of his original 72 edition.

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    Yes, emotional eating is what got me to where I am today...and you are right, didn't fix a thing and only made me feel worse. {sigh}}

I like to track normally, but hadn't been very diligent about it for the last year. When I finally decided to get back to it, it was an eye opener. I was WAY overeating protein, which I really didn't think I was doing.
    It's staggering how Western society routinely over feeds itself. Once you know what you actually need for physical health, and eat to that level, it's shocking to see how little that is, comparatively. A friend and I were talking about that tonight. I cooked. We had half a small roast spatchcock each, with homemade tomato sauce and broccoli. Totally within recommended limits and so filling, now that I'm used to sensible portions!

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OzK View Post
    Draid, from what I understand there is some 'lbm' lost with the fat loss because of the non-fat supporting structure around fat cells. So it might not be desirable muscle that's going, but the stuff that's in support of the fat.
    Ozk yes you are absolutely right. I read somewhere the other day that contrary to CW, fat cells eventually die off & if you are losing rather than gaining fat, they will not grow back. As such the mitochondria belonging to the dead fat cells will be lost as well, hence some LBM loss is inevitable. Also as the weight is loss, additional bone, connective tissue etc supporting the extra weight is also lost so the body remains in proportion.

This is why I have decided not to panic – as long as the Fat:LBM loss remains at 3:1 I’ll probably live with it for a few weeks.

PS: have just found this site which, if true, is quite revelling:
    http://www.shapeup.org/bfl/basics1.html

1) It has a table of healthy body rat ranges:

Age Female Male
    18-39 21-32% 8-19%
    40-59 23-33% 11-21%
    60-79 24-35% 13-24%

My calculated BF (not based on BIA) of 30.7% puts me in the healthy range for my age – so that is a tick in the box for health.

2) When gaining weight it suggests that ‘the extra weight you gain is about 60-80% fat and 20-40% lean body mass. Therefore, if you gained 10 pounds, about 6-8 pounds would be fat and 2-4 pounds would be lean body mass. This would mean increases not only in your fat tissue but also in your muscles, stomach, intestines and other organs, bone and water’ as per above

3) When you lose weight it suggests that ‘Experts have determined that:

During the early weeks of weight loss, at least 75% of the weight you lose should be fat loss and not more than 25% should come from lean body mass. (this is what has happened to me in week 1)

As you continue to lose weight, especially if certain types of exercise are included in your weight loss plan, fat loss should be about 90% of the weight you lose and lean body mass should be about 10%.’

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bifcus View Post
    Pebbles,

I won't do the boullion cubes as I don't trust their contents, so will need to find a way of getting more in. Maybe I'll just eat it off a spoon.
    Sure. Or you could have 1000mg sodium in warm water a couple of times a day. I use the cubes for travel convenience and because the sodium content is pre measured. If I ever see detrimental effects from them then I will stop using them.

PS to everyone, 1) 1000mg of salt does not necessarily equal 1000mg of sodium. 2) If you have high blood pressure, proceed with caution. *I also added these notes to the original post.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 03-04-2013 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OzK View Post
    It's staggering how Western society routinely over feeds itself. Once you know what you actually need for physical health, and eat to that level, it's shocking to see how little that is, comparatively. A friend and I were talking about that tonight. I cooked. We had half a small roast spatchcock each, with homemade tomato sauce and broccoli. Totally within recommended limits and so filling, now that I'm used to sensible portions!
    This has been a revelation to me too since starting EMF. I used to quite happily eat a large chicken breast in a single portion & think I was being good. Now I know a correct portion size for me is approx 3oz a single chicken now lasts me 5-7 meals instead of 2, which is great news since I am on a stupidly tight budget at the moment. It also means, of course, that eating grass fed or organic should not break the bank as the extra cost can be off-set by the money saved using the correct portion control

NB: I used to buy a small kebab (meat & salad only) from the local vendor occasionally & split it into 2 meals. Now I would have to split it into 3 to keep within my daily macros

I think a lot of the western worlds obesity issues have stemmed from fast food vendors & restaurants introducing stupid portion sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    1000mg of salt does not necessarily equal 1000mg of sodium.
    I just checked it out - to get 5000mg of sodium I would need to eat 12722mg of salt - that's 2 1/2 tsps, a hell of a lot of salt!

Sodium Versus Salt - Difference Between Salt and Sodium in Sodium Chloride
    Chemical Analysis of Natural Himalayan Pink Rock Salt | Salt News

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    I just checked it out - to get 5000mg of sodium I would need to eat 12722mg of salt - that's 2 1/2 tsps, a hell of a lot of salt!

except that food you wouldn't necessarily expect to have sodium also has some in it naturally. MFP does have the ability to follow your sodium when you track, if you add it.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post

Sadly, this is another reason why I use the bouillon cubes.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    The Rapunzel brand of vegan vegetable bouillon with sea salt, that I bought yesterday at Whole Foods does not have msg in it. It is also gluten free-unless yeast extract has gluten (?)- I was at Whole Foods and that was all they had in the way of bouillon.

Rapunzel Vegetable Bouillon Nutrition Information | ShopWell

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    except that food you wouldn't necessarily expect to have sodium also has some in it naturally. MFP does have the ability to follow your sodium when you track, if you add it.
    I have just put both my current meal plans in just for interest under today & tomorrow. One came out at 602mg & the other at 806mg (includes cheese). The meal plans are not exact because I used the foods available (I’m only interested in the sodium content not the macros), rather than adding lots of new foods & 300mg per day is for chicken bone broth. I have no idea if the person who entered this added salt to their broth or whether the sodium is leached from the bones. I do not currently add any form of sodium to my broth so this number is questionable. The other big number comes from tinned mackerel in brine (makes sense) but again the one I use is a different brand.

The really big surprise for me was spinach 100g raw contains 79mg of sodium, but then I was surprised to find it contains 3g protein when I first looked.

Still it was an interesting exercise so thanks for suggesting it.

PS If anyone can confirm whether or not 1 cup of home made chicken broth really contains 300mg of natural sodium I would love to know.

UPDATE: I found a broth somewhere on the internet which suggests 1 cuppof unsalted broth has 50mg sodium which makes more sense so my daliy menus would be 402mg & 606mg (my broth portion is 2 cups worth)
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-04-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: update