Page 2 of 282 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 2

Kotato is offline Junior Member
    I've been reading the old thread for a while and was waiting for the new one to join in!

I spent a while in college tracking my calorie consumption in a spreadsheet with great success (100+ lbs lost), and I realized it might be helpful for me to start doing it again, now that I've been Primal for most of the last 2 years without much recent weight loss. Eating lower-calorie, low-carb, and high-protein made me feel pretty terrible, though, which is when I happened to see the original EMF thread. I lowered my protein a bit, added some fat, and felt better on the same calories! So I think I'm going to try making this a thing.

I might track my macros once or twice, but since I can't bring myself to stick with online tracking sites (Excel all the way for me), I'm going to keep it simple: keep tracking my calories (most of the time), eat little starch or fruit (used to this already), lower my protein portions to approximately the right range, and eyeball that most of my calories are coming from fat.

I'm also exercising way more than I was when I was working on apps all last fall and early-winter. Yay!

I'm not a very active poster, but I'll post an update on how this goes...
    23, F, 5'5" and ~140lbs
    My mostly-dormant journal

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Welcome Kotato! Periodic updates will be great.

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    January EMF Results -11 lbs
    SW: 233.8
    CW: 222.8

February EMF Goals -lose 8-10 lbs
    * hit macros (reduce protein)
    * exercise for stress relief
    * full month of February compliance with WOE

shrinkinglo is offline Junior Member
    Thanks pebbles - what I thought I would do is complete a weeks worth of food diary on fitnesspal and then link it and ask some advice.

That way I will know I am heading in the right direction.

But to give an example today I had:

Breakfast
    British Mild Cheese, 40g
    3 eggs
    Olive Oil - Extra Virgin 4 tablespoons

Lunch

Chicken Leg Quarter W/ Skin,
    Cabbage - Savoy, raw, 200g
    Salted English Butter, 60g

That equated to roughly:

Carbs / Day 21 g
    Fat / Day 142 g
    Protein / Day 85 g

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Looks pretty good, Shrinkinglo, depending on your calorie needs.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Shrinkinglo- have you tried Tomi's version of fried eggs? One whole egg, plus 2 yolks. Toss the extra whites. I call it the Triclops, and it is becoming one of my favorite new breakfasts. Brings the fat up near 80% without too much extra protein(since I like to have sausage with my eggs). Some people have difficulty keeping the protein at moderate portions, and this is a good way to not overload at breakfast.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Hi all. My January recap:

SW: 197
    CW: 186

Total weight loss: 11 lbs

Measurements: nothing significant to report. Last time I measured was in November, so the results would not be authentic to EMF anyway.

Non-scale victories: more control over sugar cravings, looser fitting clothes (despite what the tape measure says), and a new found love for cream cheese clouds!! Oh, my ring is spinning again and my watch is loose.

I plan to continue. Currently, I'm 5 days into the perfect keto diet after last week's dinner out for DH's job (absolutely no control over the food served, but was told certain foods would be served, made the best decision I could, then learned the menu changed and absolutely nothing would fit the plan). I believe I am starting to enter back into keto, but I'm not deep yet.

What I learned: 1 day of poor eats will yank me out of keto, make me feel horrible, give me terrible acne for days, put on 4-5 lbs that take all week to get rid of again, and makes it so terribly hard to get back into keto/stay there b/c of horrendous sugar cravings.

February goals:
    Stay the course with no cheat days (cream cheese clouds are cheat enough for me, honestly)
    Hit the gym regularly
    Work on flexibility (my IT Band is tight and making my hip/knee hurt)

Carbs: 38 or fewer grams
    Protein: 75 gm
    Fat: 117 gm
    Calories: 1500 (except on exercise days when I can go higher per MFP)
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

shrinkinglo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Shrinkinglo- have you tried Tomi's version of fried eggs? One whole egg, plus 2 yolks. Toss the extra whites. I call it the Triclops, and it is becoming one of my favorite new breakfasts. Brings the fat up near 80% without too much extra protein(since I like to have sausage with my eggs). Some people have difficulty keeping the protein at moderate portions, and this is a good way to not overload at breakfast.
    Thanks sabine - I do like a sausage as well so will try this.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    ** The BMR Calculator on the first post says my BMR is 1612. MFP says my BMR is 1524. Not sure which one to believe. Why is it so low???
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Jenn, 1612 would be your non movement burn. There is a link on the same page for doing the Harris Benedict calculations. Not sure how MFP does it.

Harris Benedict Equation

sedentary BMR x 1.2
    light activity BMR x 1.375
    moderate x 1.55
    very active x 1.275
    extra active x 1.9

The BMR calculator in the first post has been accurate for me based on my GoWearFit info.

Page 2 of 282 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast