Page 192 of 282 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 192

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey ya'll. Something is a bit off with me today - I'm really tired. Resolving some crappy bed issues in the near future, but what's strange is that yesterday I had similar or worse sleep and I was just bounding with energy. Food hasn't changed too much, though i did have some vegetables in the morning whereas I have generally been keeping it strictly fat/protein. Not experiencing any change in satiety and no cravings though, so I'm doubtful it's that. I wonder if it could be a side effect of the magnesium I started last night? I had some other, um, interesting experiences (described in my journal) that led be to believe that I should definitely decrease my dosage. Thoughts?

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Just an interesting note in passing ...

I'm being guided by Pebble's sticky post on page 1, re: how to work out what to eat in what proportions. I multiplied it out to calories this morning, and my macros (goal weight 60 kg = 60 gm protein, 30 gm carb, 120 gm fat) comes to 1240 calories. Which is pretty much what standard weight loss wisdom suggests for a women my height. So there you go!

Also, somebody up-thread was asking about how to get the right fat intake. I apologise for not doing the direct quote thing. Anyhow, fwiw, here's my approach:

I scramble my 2 whole eggs with a good chunk of grass fed butter plus a tbspn of CO. I eat 1 small/1/2 large avocado with protein for lunch, with olive oil/lemon vinaigrette. I eat fatty protein for dinner, cooked in butter/CO - plus butter melted on my veggies, or cooked in butter/CO. Or else, if I'm having roast rack of lamb, I make sure to buy a small rack that's got a really big fat component, and eat all the fat along with buttery veg. Plus I have 3 mugs of broth a day, with a tbspn of CO in each mug. If in between meals I'm feeling too hungry to wait, I'll eat an oz of triple brie, which is also very high fat.

I haven't weighed every bit of fat yet, and I won't unless something goes wrong. I'm more eyeballing things and so far so good. For the record, 1 tbspn of CO is 14 gms fat. So I'm looking at roughly half my daily intake is CO, which is good for a lot of health things as well as the fat intake.

Hope that's of use to someone!

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    So I never thought I was much of an emotional eater but I recently had a falling out with my closest friend and we are no longer friends and yesterday it hit me that it seems like I may have lost some other friends as a result.
    I'm so sorry......... How painful. But your thinking is going the right way - eating won't fix anything and you'll feel worse if you let the urge to eat take over. Jenn is right - sometimes a change of scenery can help you work things through.

Is there no hope for mending the friendship? It might feel like Middle School - but as adults we have the tools to work things out - to forgive and (sorta) forget, or at least choose to put aside things that hurt.

Feel free to vent here all you want - thats they we're all here. For support........... and we all need it!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Things I choose to let go:

All grains - including rice
    Refined sugars
    Legumes - including peanut butter
    Nuts and nut butters
    Alcohol and soda
    Chocolate
    Acidic foods, such as pineapple and tomato
    Coffee and tea
    Eggs
    Curry
    White potato
    Dairy - including butter

I'm choosing to do this......... I don't HAVE to.

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

BklynGirl is offline Member
    Just a question for all of you, how do you manage to keep your calories so low? I'm still working on upping the fat and replacing some of the protein, and I keep telling myself that hopefully hunger will come down once that happens, but I'm skeptical. I had gained weight recently and was losing steadily for a few weeks, then stopped--hence my EMF experiment. Could the increased hunger just be my body's reaction to losing fat? Also, just FYI I've been doing at least a 16 hour IF 4-5 times a week.

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BklynGirl View Post
    Just a question for all of you, how do you manage to keep your calories so low? I'm still working on upping the fat and replacing some of the protein, and I keep telling myself that hopefully hunger will come down once that happens, but I'm skeptical. I had gained weight recently and was losing steadily for a few weeks, then stopped--hence my EMF experiment. Could the increased hunger just be my body's reaction to losing fat? Also, just FYI I've been doing at least a 16 hour IF 4-5 times a week.
    Hmm. Well, I'm a newbie here but I'll chuck in my .02c worth.

Firstly, I'd give the IF a miss for the time being. It could be messing with your system. Going EMF really puts your body in a crunch, switching over to totally fatburning mode.

Secondly, I'd check that your macro ratios are spot on - have you looked at the easy peasy formula Pebble's put as the first sticky post in this thread? Make sure you're not under eating your fat levels.

It can take up to a week for your system to even out to the very low carb, since your body keeps looking for glucose to fuel you, not yet realising it's got abundant fat stores to burn.

If all else fails, try upping your protein and fat intake by a couple of ounces. And make sure you're adequately hydrated.

Most of all, good luck!

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OzK View Post
    Hmm. Well, I'm a newbie here but I'll chuck in my .02c worth.

Firstly, I'd give the IF a miss for the time being.
    This.

Disclaimer: I'm not tracking my macros or my calories, and I've only been doing LCHF (emphasis on the LC) for a bit.

That said, I've done the breakfast-skipping IF off and on for pretty substantial periods of time. It was okay but I was absolutely eating more in two meals than I am in three now because I was also experiencing way more hunger signals. This protocol feels really, really different than IF did for me.

So far, I've been starting the day with bulletproof coffee and eggs (and sometimes an additional meat). I've found that it really keeps the hunger manageable throughout the day.

Also, in the couple of times where I've been able to shift into ketosis quickly and fairly painlessly I was REALLY LC, like, the only carbs I was getting were the ones that were incidental in things like macadamia nuts or coconut milk. A couple of days without veggies is not catastrophic, IMO. If I'm not mistaken, this is similar to what the ladies around here refer to as a "fat fast," though I wasn't necessarily trying very hard to keep protein low.

As always, ymmv, but at any rate, good luck!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BklynGirl View Post
    Many of us are not eating low calorie. I aim for my BMR (1750-calories my body would burn in a coma), which is about 30% below my true calorie burn with exercise. I do not believe that people should eat below BMR, but some on here do. 1) If you calculate your macros for your goal weight based on the formula on the first page, it should give you a good amount of calories for your height. Choose a weight that is within a logical range for your height. I am 5'10. The low end of the range for me is 150, but I was skinny at 165 once upon a time so that is my goal. 2) Or you could figure out your BMR. and calculate your macros from that.

If you are aiming for ketosis, you need to keep your carbs below 50. Mine are actually below 20. Too much protein can also keep you out of ketosis. To much of either macro can also keep you hungry. Once you are solidly in ketosis, you should see the hunger go down. Make sure you are eating enough.

Good Luck.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    February EMF Report

Weight 226.6 -2.6 lbs

Inches -5

BF% -2.2

I am happy with my results this month. Sadly, I had 6 binge days.
    Between the middle of January and Feb 10th I had a run of 25 clean days. I let myself get talked into eating some wheat and sugar at a party and completely lost my momentum. I have only been able to string together a few days at a time since. I have told my husband that "a little bit " does hurt, so please understand when I say "No!".
    I got back into the gym full time this month which shows in the inches and fat % lost.

This month I learned:

that the lower protein experiment is working in spite of the binges.

that when getting back into ketosis there is a crisis at about 5 days to a week when my body will scream for carbs just before it changes over to fat burning. I have to make it past this hurdle.

that keeping hydrated and balancing electrolytes is essential to staying on track.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 03-01-2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: add info
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member

First month done. My results

Hey Folks.

This is the end of my first month on primal. Mostly I have stuck to EMF. I cannot believe it has gone this quickly. This is the first time in my life, changing my diet that I had no "bad days." Anyway, I have lost 18 pounds this month. I was afraid to weigh in this morning as I had some sushi yesterday, and I was just SURE the rice would make me put on water weight, well I guess it didn't.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nice job, Pebbles and Gladmorning!! I am constantly inspired by the posts in this thread and everything that is being accomplished.

For me this month took a slight nose-dive as I had a couple of days that were not in my best interest food-wise as my weightless for the month ended at zero, but I have lost another 2-3/4 inches! So I am pleased with that and am ready to tackle March. EMF continues.....
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172