Page 19 of 282 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 19

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am not a math person. I am speech-language pathologist. Because I am not a math person So...to break down the language. MFP said my BMR was 1506. I added in light exercise 30 min 4-5 times a week and it was just over 2000. I think 2100ish. So I hsould eat 1500 calories? ARrgghhh....why can't we just eat without all this angst?

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    My Fitness Pal & BMR I just discovered a major flaw in the way MFP calculates BMR. The calculator on the site only gives you your "coma calories" burn, and clearly says that daily activity is not counted. It then says that it's Mifflin-St joer calculation is more accurate than Harris Benedict. BUT the purpose of Harris Benedict is to calculate your activity calories. Somebody messed up.

MFP gives me 1765 BMR. I multiplied by 1.375 for less active days.
    Min Daily Calorie need 2427
    I choose to eat 1850 cals about 20% below. On heavy work out days up to 40% below

IMO everyone should at least eat enough to hit their base BMR without activity, though others I'm sure will disagree.

Harris Benedict tells us to multiply the base BMR by the following:
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    Ya'll are getting wild with all these formulas and such. For those that that stuff makes your brain bleed, stay simple. Pick a range and go for it.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    I am not a math person. I am speech-language pathologist. Because I am not a math person So...to break down the language. MFP said my BMR was 1506. I added in light exercise 30 min 4-5 times a week and it was just over 2000. I think 2100ish. So I hsould eat 1500 calories? ARrgghhh....why can't we just eat without all this angst?
    Sorry, I did not mean to be confusing. I'm not sure why there is angst? I just don't want people acting on incorrect info. You can just use the general macro formula from the first page. The calories are built into that formula. To answer your calorie question, IMO You should at least eat your BMR calories, but could eat a little (say 10%) below your daily caloric needs and still lose weight.

Everyone if you don't want this info, don't use it. The basic KG formula works fine.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    My Fitness Pal & BMR I just discovered a major flaw in the way MFP calculates BMR. The calculator on the site only gives you your "coma calories" burn, and clearly says that daily activity is not counted. It then says that it's Mifflin-St joer calculation is more accurate than Harris Benedict. BUT the purpose of Harris Benedict is to calculate your activity calories. Somebody messed up.

I choose to eat 1850 cals about 20% below. On heavy work out days up to 40% below

IMO everyone should at least eat enough to hit their base BMR without activity, though others I'm sure will disagree.

Harris Benedict tells us to multiply the base BMR by the following:
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    Harris-Benedict is the result of a multivariate regression on males and females in the early 20th century - body mass was correlated with age and gender to derive the equations. They have held up over the years, but they only provide BMR. They do not have the multipliers according to activity. Other folks have added those, as America became more calorie conscious.

Other studies have yielded other formulae - Mifflin-St Jeor and Katch-McArdle are two of the better known ones. I have a spreadsheet I set up when I was calorie counting (which works - PB is right that calories matter when losing weight - I also agree it's one hell of a lot easier with NK). I'll send it to anyone who desires -- feel free to use it as much or as little as you like (tried to attach it but it was tagged "invalid file" -- simple spreadsheet).

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    Hey guys I'm still here following everything. I talked to my doctor about the fatigue and he ran about a million tests so depending on how they come back I may be joining you again soon.

Erin Did you have your iron levels checked?

Annlee,

That is probably why they refer to the activity multipliers as the "Revised Harris Benedict" formula. The note on MFP comparing the two formulae makes more sense now, Thank You.

I have found that the revised Harris Benedict is accurate enough for me and matches the information on calorie burn that I get from my Body Media Fit device.

EDIT: Just for comparison...

My BMR according to Harris Benedict equation (site linked in first post) 1768

My BMR according to Mifflin-St Joer equation (used on My Fitness Pal) 1765

Conclusion: Use whichever one you prefer.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-03-2013 at 04:34 AM.

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    Yep they checked for anemia, checked a lot of vitamin levels and my thyroid again. I should have results next week.

calee is offline Senior Member

My BMR without adding for activity is 1295. It sux being older!! I do lose best eating under 1200 calories.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    GP, I love your turn of phrase, it always makes me smile, thanks!
    You're welcome!

This thread moves insanely fast!!!