Page 188 of 282 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 188

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    You know what? I recommend Protein Power to people who don't think they can handle Primal / Paleo. It is a really good program that works for people who don't have totally screwed up metabolisms.
    Yeah. Sometimes the shift away from Standard Western Diet is so confronting, folk need to kind of sneak up on it. And while they call it High protein, I don't think it really is. Not as restrained as NK, obviously, but not everyone needs that level of restraint.

BTW, while I think of it, looking ahead - some months down the track, true, but even so - what's the deal re: transitioning out of extreme NK to long term maintenance. Is it just a case of bumping up protein intake, and a little more carb, till you hit the sweet spot of no more loss, but no gain either?

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Yes, Atkins called it "Finding your critical carbohydrate level". The "1972 version" of his book there is a good plan for slowly adding carbs back in if that is what you intend to do. It may be in newer versions as well.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    It is a very long way off for me. But not sure if i will bother to add back in carbs given that a huge reason i tightened up what i am doing is for cancer prevention. And the only thing I really miss is a really good piece of cake with buttercream icing. Of course that is crazy hard to come by so no problem there.

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Yes, Atkins called it "Finding your critical carbohydrate level". The "1972 version" of his book there is a good plan for slowly adding carbs back in if that is what you intend to do. It may be in newer versions as well.
    Yeah, I just got a copy of the updated original version. But I'm thinking, given the whole problem with carbs, that increasing protein intake first might not make more sense. To get to goal my daily intake is 60 grams, which isn't a whole lot. So bumping that by 20 gm increments until a comfortable amount is reached might decrease the danger of rebound carb stuffing, d' you think?

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    It is a very long way off for me. But not sure if i will bother to add back in carbs given that a huge reason i tightened up what i am doing is for cancer prevention. And the only thing I really miss is a really good piece of cake with buttercream icing. Of course that is crazy hard to come by so no problem there.
    Heh. Not when you do the baking yourself ...

Quote Originally Posted by OzK View Post
    Yeah, I just got a copy of the updated original version. But I'm thinking, given the whole problem with carbs, that increasing protein intake first might not make more sense. To get to goal my daily intake is 60 grams, which isn't a whole lot. So bumping that by 20 gm increments until a comfortable amount is reached might decrease the danger of rebound carb stuffing, d' you think?

I think that would be a good way to go. I wouldn't go over 1.5x weight in kg. unless you are a really heavy exerciser. I'm beginning to think too much protein can cause cravings much like carbs. For carbs I would ultimately stay under the 150 maintenance level. If you have had metabolic syndrome, I would stay under 100 grams. I guess it depends on why you stuff carbs. If it is mostly a nutritional problem, then once that is fixed, you shouldn't have a problem.

I will be eating this way for life, but hope to be able to eat off plan on special occasions and get right back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by OzK View Post
    Heh. Not when you do the baking yourself ...
    Therein lies the problem...demuralist is a wonderful baker. Thank God she lives hours away from me.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Yep, pretty darn good baker. Luckily I don't do it because I love it, I do it to make the people I love happy (special cakes for birthdays and events), so I don't miss doing it. BFF's birthday is coming up the first week of March, and I make her Tres Leche which is her favorite, but it is a take home and she eats it for breakfast, every day till it is gone, won't let anyone else in on it! She is hilarious, and skinny as a rail (literally). My husband tells everyone he has lot hundreds of pounds since we have been married, in 10 pound increments (he gains ten then loses it then gains then loses, but he is very fit).

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    You know what? I recommend Protein Power to people who don't think they can handle Primal / Paleo. It is a really good program that works for people who don't have totally screwed up metabolisms.
    Perhaps then I should read it before sending it on just for education purposes

Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    Perhaps then I should read it before sending it on just for education purposes
    Definitely. I read alot of books that are not strictly Paleo/Primal, just to add to my bank of knowledge. I would also recommend "The Schwarzbein Principle II", a book that is especially good for women who want to add carbs for optimal hormonal response.