Page 187 of 282 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 187

  1. #1861
    jenn26point2's Avatar
    jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,783
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post

    I don’t know much about these things but I wonder if the podcasts could be found on android?

    Well done on hitting the macros but the way. It will be interesting to see what happens to your numbers if you are able to hit them consistently

    The Russian circus has crept upon me today, completely unawares, no cramp, no bloating, nothing (scales were down a lb this am) so I got caught out. Luckily had black trousers on. I never thought I would say this but sometimes a little indication is helpful.
    Yes, there are other podcast apps out there and you can get the LLVLC podcasts on them. I downloaded BeyondPod today. It was free. Found Jimmy's podcast there... but you can also listen to them from his website.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)




  2. #1862
    NewfMom's Avatar
    NewfMom is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12
    This is my first post! Just had to chime in about making mayo.

    It is so easy with a food processor that has the attachment for oil dispensing. The attachment fits into the chute - just pour the oil in, and it streams through the little hole while the processor is running.

    For small batches, this one works great - fast to make and easy cleanup - Amazon.com: Cuisinart DFP-3 Handy Prep 3-Cup Food Processor: Kitchen & Dining

    I prefer to do large batches with my 11 cup cuisinart, so do not have to go through the process for a few months, and it is always in the fridge. But, it does require whey for it to keep more than a few weeks. So easy though - place the yogurt in a strainer lined with cheese cloth placed over a bowl. Cover with a plate and leave out at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours while the whey runs out into the bowl. Store the whey in the frig (keeps for several months). The yogurt is now greek yogurt - pour back into the container - will keep for about a month.

    For one batch of mayo, use...
    1 whole egg, at room temperature
    1 egg yolk at room temperature
    1 teaspoon dijon-type mustard
    1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (original recipe is lemon juice, but I prefer ACV)
    1 tablespoon whey (optional)
    3/4 - 1 cup oil (I use a combination of high quality olive oil and MCT oil)
    generous pinch of sea salt or to taste.

    Without whey, keeps about 2 weeks. With whey, keeps for several months. If using whey, let the mayo sit at room temperature, well covered (I pour into several glass canning jars), for 7 hours before refrigerating.

    This info is in the book, Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.

  3. #1863
    jenn26point2's Avatar
    jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,783
    A good rule of thumb I read is that homemade mayo has the same expiration date as your eggs - but that is probably different when whey is present.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)




  4. #1864
    demuralist's Avatar
    demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    9,508
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiLaPatate View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. I have been struggling to get my carbs below 50g for over a year, on and off. I just get really hungry and weak and all trying to fill up on fat just doesn't seem to work. I've made huge improvements over the past year - I now can go several hours between meals and don't need to snack. I almost never binge anymore. And now recently increasing my fat makes me feel a lot better. But I just can't lose weight or even keep my calories below 2000 for more than a couple of days in a row. I'm always hungry. I'm really thinking its a hormonal problem. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay to get my hormones tested and get look into HRT or something. With our public health system in Canada, my family doctor wont' test my hormones, as my cycles are still regular. I'm 45 and in perimenopause, currently 205lb with a goal of 165lb. The weight just won't move -aargghhh. 8 years ago, way before primal, I lost 40lb (and kept it off) just by reducing my carbs somewhat and increasing my protein. Now it just seems impossible to lose even 5lb (the weight gain came after having a baby 4 years ago).

    Anyway - I admire the women on this board and how well you document your individual experiences. - it's good to read.
    I appreciate your concerns, and will say that 8 years ago you were a different body. I know that the first few days can be difficult and will tell you that bouillon will help with the weak feelings and if you add some butter or CO to it that will help with the hunger. I congratulate you on getting past binging as well as not needing to snack. Are you on MFP? if not can you please put a typical day's menu here and let us see if we can make some suggestions for you? if so you can friend me (same username).

  5. #1865
    demuralist's Avatar
    demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    9,508
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    A good rule of thumb I read is that homemade mayo has the same expiration date as your eggs - but that is probably different when whey is present.
    "Julian Dates

    Starting with January 1 as 001 and ending with December 31 as 365, these numbers represent the consecutive days of the year. This number system is sometimes used on egg cartons to denote the day the eggs are packed. You can store fresh shell eggs in their cartons in the refrigerator with insignificant quality loss for four to five weeks beyond this date." Eggs properly kept refrigerated can last 3 to 5 weeks longer than the expiration date.

  6. #1866
    Ddraig Goch's Avatar
    Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    435
    I bought a book a few weeks ago by Dr Eedes Protein Powe:, the high protein, low carb way to lose weight, feel fit & boost your health. It turned up today & went straight out in a charity box. Funny how opinions can change in just a few short weeks.

  7. #1867
    OzK's Avatar
    OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    Do you all make your own broth? I have some chicken broth in the freezer, though it's been in there for months (or longer, lol). I did make that myself, but Whole Foods has cans of broth (I usually keep some around for when my gastroparesis flares up) which don't have junk ingredients (I think...must double check). I might have to use the broth with the oil just until the hunger supression kicks in.
    As we speak! *g* Here's how I do it:

    some kind of chicken bits in a large pot (sometimes a whole free range chicken, sometimes a couple of spatchcock, right now I have chicken necks plus I'll be adding some roasted beef bones) covered in cold water, add a good splash of apple cider vinegar (to leach the minerals) and soak for an hour. Then I add some chopped celery, sliced fresh ginger, fresh garlic bulbs, peppercorns and sea salt, bring to the boil and then simmer for about 3 hours or so. I drain out the liquid and refrigerate, drinking 2-3 mugs a day with CO melted into it. Really good mineral boost, with added fat intake.

    Mind you, I work from home so it's convenient for me to do it this way. I know a lot of folk use a crockpot so they can just walk away and leave it simmering. But honestly, I do think home made is the best. Having absolute control over your ingredients, keeping everything super clean, is key.

    Good luck!

  8. #1868
    OzK's Avatar
    OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiLaPatate View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. I have been struggling to get my carbs below 50g for over a year, on and off. I just get really hungry and weak and all trying to fill up on fat just doesn't seem to work. I've made huge improvements over the past year - I now can go several hours between meals and don't need to snack. I almost never binge anymore. And now recently increasing my fat makes me feel a lot better. But I just can't lose weight or even keep my calories below 2000 for more than a couple of days in a row. I'm always hungry. I'm really thinking its a hormonal problem. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay to get my hormones tested and get look into HRT or something. With our public health system in Canada, my family doctor wont' test my hormones, as my cycles are still regular. I'm 45 and in perimenopause, currently 205lb with a goal of 165lb. The weight just won't move -aargghhh. 8 years ago, way before primal, I lost 40lb (and kept it off) just by reducing my carbs somewhat and increasing my protein. Now it just seems impossible to lose even 5lb (the weight gain came after having a baby 4 years ago).

    Anyway - I admire the women on this board and how well you document your individual experiences. - it's good to read.
    Gigi, I'm so sorry you're having these struggles. It could well be that you're just one of those metabolisms that needs to fire up on a higher carb rate. We're all different and this is the home of n=1! The other problem you might be facing is thyroid. Mine went haywire a couple of years ago and played havoc with everything. Cold all the time, tired, hair falling out in handfuls. I was totally freaking. I reversed course with some vit/min supplements and all is hunky dory now. But it was a huge thing. Can you get a thyroid function blood panel done without any hassle?

  9. #1869
    Pebbles67's Avatar
    Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley New York
    Posts
    9,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    I bought a book a few weeks ago by Dr Eedes Protein Powe:, the high protein, low carb way to lose weight, feel fit & boost your health. It turned up today & went straight out in a charity box. Funny how opinions can change in just a few short weeks.
    You know what? I recommend Protein Power to people who don't think they can handle Primal / Paleo. It is a really good program that works for people who don't have totally screwed up metabolisms.

  10. #1870
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    the desert in Arizona
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by NewfMom View Post
    But, it does require whey for it to keep more than a few weeks. So easy though - place the yogurt in a strainer lined with cheese cloth placed over a bowl. Cover with a plate and leave out at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours while the whey runs out into the bowl. Store the whey in the frig (keeps for several months). The yogurt is now greek yogurt - pour back into the container - will keep for about a month.
    I am so glad you brought this up! I have about a quart of whey in the back of the fridge that I've collected after straining several batches yogurt - could not figure out what to do with it, but can't throw it out! It appears to be fine... I figure it's all protein, but besides a tablespoon in homemade mayo, what else can I do with a jar of liquid whey? I've heard of boiling it down for hours to make cheese, but... no. Suggestions?

    Also - I have been getting a LOT of good help and advice from my copy of Protein Power. Just today I made photocopies of the Daily Mealplan so that I can plan out my meals ahead of time, shop better and be more organized. Also, they say to supplement with 90 mg of Potassium daily!
    Since going on my trip, I've been taking potassium and magnesium morning and night and I haven't had any muscle cramps. I forgot for a few days after I got home, and had one right after going to bed, so I figured it was all the proof I needed that it was working.
    Last edited by desertcreature; 02-27-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: just had to add more words...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •