Page 186 of 281 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 2806

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 186

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Dr. Attia recommends bouillon. As counter-intuitive as that seems, he justifies the "questionable ingredients" by reminding us that they are there in such a small amount that it won't cause us harm. The bouillon is good for the electorlytes (salts, etc) but some have found success with salted broth. I personally use bouillon b/c it follows his recommendation.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    I'll look for some at Whole Foods on the weekend. Thanks! I have low blood pressure so my doctor actually suggested broth, lol.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    I used the bouillon to keep away the symptoms of the change over to ketosis, for me the broth did not do it as well-even salted. But I use broth for hunger. Homemade is best there, it isn't just about what they might add to it, it is about what comes from the bones when you stew them long enough to pull the minerals out. It should keep for months in the freezer unless it defrosted.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I used the bouillon to keep away the symptoms of the change over to ketosis, for me the broth did not do it as well-even salted. But I use broth for hunger. Homemade is best there, it isn't just about what they might add to it, it is about what comes from the bones when you stew them long enough to pull the minerals out. It should keep for months in the freezer unless it defrosted.
    If you freeze it and then thaw it, then boil it before refreezing, it'll be ok. It's synonymous with cooking thawed meat before re-freezing.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I make my own broth, both chicken and beef and add a half cube of bouillon to it in the morning. I like the the fact that the bone broth is helping my fingernails and hair out immensely and the bouillon adds a bit of salt which I love. It's a win-win in my book.
    Georgette

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    If you freeze it and then thaw it, then boil it before refreezing, it'll be ok. It's synonymous with cooking thawed meat before re-freezing.
    Nice tip!
    Georgette

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OzK View Post
    My big hurdle's going to come when people start notice that I'm losing weight again.
    Having lost only half the weight I need to lose, my mum has become very anti me losing anymore weight so rather than cause friction I donít mention it anymore & if she asks I just remain non-committal. That is why this forum is so great. There are lots of supportive friends here we can celebrate our successes with.

Quote Originally Posted by mks8500 View Post
    I hope that my experience doesn't deter you. I think I'm one of those special cases that require just the right tweaking.

I do think the blood ketone monitor is a great asset for those that need some evidence beyond the stixs and who have hit a plateau that isn't budging. The price of the strips, although expensive just isn't as big of a factor for me.

Not deterred at all. I think your n=1 is very interesting. Unfortunately money is a real issue for me right now but my new n=1 has got me very excited, so for me, not having the monitor is not such a problem at the moment. If I were going to use the blood ketone monitor I would want to be able to do at least 3 months worth Ė I think to get it right takes time & I think it would be more worth while for me personally when I am down to the last few pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by mks8500 View Post
    On another note, if any of you have an iphone, Apple has a free app called Podcasts. On that if you search for LLVLC, you'll see Jimmy Moore's podcast.
    I donít know much about these things but I wonder if the podcasts could be found on android?

Well done on hitting the macros but the way. It will be interesting to see what happens to your numbers if you are able to hit them consistently

The Russian circus has crept upon me today, completely unawares, no cramp, no bloating, nothing (scales were down a lb this am) so I got caught out. Luckily had black trousers on. I never thought I would say this but sometimes a little indication is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    yes, what I do for myself and what I would suggest to others, when considering food safety are a bit different. In advice to others I err on the overly safe side, but you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I make my own broth, both chicken and beef and add a half cube of bouillon to it in the morning. I like the the fact that the bone broth is helping my fingernails and hair out immensely and the bouillon adds a bit of salt which I love. It's a win-win in my book.
    ooo, excellent idea.

GigiLaPatate is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I would personally urge strongly NOT to increase your carbs as that would generally trigger hunger. My suggestion is to try to stick close to the percentages until you get over the hunger then slowly lower the calories. I have forgotten what your goal weight is? For 1680 calories you would get 140g of fat, 70g of protein and 35g of carbs. For your 2000 calorie day I think you would be better off pushing your calories from the carbs to the fats. So closer to 150g of fat, 88g of protein and 35g of carb. Then once you are comfy and have reached a level of appetite suppression you can lower the protein and then the fat. I would suggest nuts or even chocolate is a better choice than dates though. But for me the best thing for after dinner I am still hungry is a cup of tea (or decaf coffee) and bullet proof it to the extent that I have the macros left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Gigi, I agree with demuralist. You need to lower those carbs to below 50 to get into ketosis and add fat when you are hungry. Otherwise, you will just be in limbo and torturing yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by OzK View Post
    I've found that's the golden answer for me. In the first few days I was hungry a lot, switching over to NK/EMF, because my body was in transition from glucose burning to fat burning. Now I've transitioned I'm finding it a lot easier. It's helping to have 3 cups of broth a day with CO melted into it. But adding the carbs only prolongs the transition and makes life harder, I think.

Good luck with it, Gigi!
    Thank you all for your replies. I have been struggling to get my carbs below 50g for over a year, on and off. I just get really hungry and weak and all trying to fill up on fat just doesn't seem to work. I've made huge improvements over the past year - I now can go several hours between meals and don't need to snack. I almost never binge anymore. And now recently increasing my fat makes me feel a lot better. But I just can't lose weight or even keep my calories below 2000 for more than a couple of days in a row. I'm always hungry. I'm really thinking its a hormonal problem. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay to get my hormones tested and get look into HRT or something. With our public health system in Canada, my family doctor wont' test my hormones, as my cycles are still regular. I'm 45 and in perimenopause, currently 205lb with a goal of 165lb. The weight just won't move -aargghhh. 8 years ago, way before primal, I lost 40lb (and kept it off) just by reducing my carbs somewhat and increasing my protein. Now it just seems impossible to lose even 5lb (the weight gain came after having a baby 4 years ago).

Anyway - I admire the women on this board and how well you document your individual experiences. - it's good to read.