Page 185 of 282 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 185

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    When it comes to bacon grease, I do what Jenn26point2 does and filter the little bits with cheesecloth and keep it in a mason jar in the fridge and just refill it as I cook bacon.
    Last edited by geostump; 02-27-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    Georgette

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    You could pay me to make it for you! lol
    From Iowa to Calif.? I'm going to try again, I think it will improve my character. If I need to, I'll email an order. In the meantime, could you send a recipe? I do have a Ninja, sort of a cross between a blender and a food processor, I also have a stick blender.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    There are also recipes for using bacon fat or CO as the fat of choice for mayo. I just don't make it or buy it. I've made it almost 37 years without the stuff and keep it out of my system for another 37.
    Georgette

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Rosemary231, search it on pinterest. There is a "full proof" recipe that uses a stick blender.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    I definitely want to try the stick blender version of mayo. I tried it years ago with the drippy oil thing and it so did not work for me, lol. I am not a cook by-the-way, lol. I have the instructions at home, I just need to do it. Not motivated to do much of anything once I get home these days.

I DID do 10 minutes on the elliptical on my lunch break today. Tried to make it more of a lower body workout than cardio though...really concentrated on using my legs to push down instead of using momentum like I normally do.

So, somewhere in this thread someone (sorry, I forgot who) posted a link to the army's spreadsheet to find out body fat. Um, I finally got around to doing that this morning and according to that my BF is 38.34%. Wow. So if I'm 38.34% body fat, is it as simple as I'm 112.222 lean body mass? I weight 182, but just multiplied that by 38.34% and figured the rest was lean body, lol.

Off to go find a lean body mass calculator.

Edit: Answered my own question. Yes, it IS that simple, lol. I'm trying to figure out if my goal weight is reasonable and it is, so I'm on the right track.
    Last edited by 252dlp; 02-27-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Gigi, I agree with demuralist. You need to lower those carbs to below 50 to get into ketosis and add fat when you are hungry. Otherwise, you will just be in limbo and torturing yourself.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    I definitely want to try the stick blender version of mayo. I tried it years ago with the drippy oil thing and it so did not work for me, lol. I am not a cook by-the-way, lol. I have the instructions at home, I just need to do it. Not motivated to do much of anything once I get home these days.

I DID do 10 minutes on the elliptical on my lunch break today. Tried to make it more of a lower body workout than cardio though...really concentrated on using my legs to push down instead of using momentum like I normally do.

So, somewhere in this thread someone (sorry, I forgot who) posted a link to the army's spreadsheet to find out body fat. Um, I finally got around to doing that this morning and according to that my BF is 38.34%. Wow. So if I'm 38.34% body fat, is it as simple as I'm 112.222 lean body mass? I weight 182, but just multiplied that by 38.34% and figured the rest was lean body, lol.

Off to go find a lean body mass calculator.
    I posted the spreadsheet. To answer your question, I don't know, but would assume you did the math right.

It says my body fat is roughly 38% as well, and I weigh 183 (as of last official weigh in). 112 lbs in lean body mass wouldn't be too far fetched considering I was skinnish-fat at 140 lbs with a body fat percentage of roughly 27%.

I have found using my stick blender only works well for things that have a very thinner consistency (like cream cheese pancakes) and not so much for things with a thick consistency (like mayo and "whipped" heavy cream). Mayo works very well (for me anyway) with a hand mixer on medium. I place the ingredients into a 2 cup measuring cup with one beater in my mixer. I pour the oil directly into the beater about a tbsp at a time and it mixes up in about 5 minutes.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 02-27-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Gigi, I agree with demuralist. You need to lower those carbs to below 50 to get into ketosis and add fat when you are hungry. Otherwise, you will just be in limbo and torturing yourself.
    I've found that's the golden answer for me. In the first few days I was hungry a lot, switching over to NK/EMF, because my body was in transition from glucose burning to fat burning. Now I've transitioned I'm finding it a lot easier. It's helping to have 3 cups of broth a day with CO melted into it. But adding the carbs only prolongs the transition and makes life harder, I think.

Good luck with it, Gigi!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OzK View Post
    I've found that's the golden answer for me. In the first few days I was hungry a lot, switching over to NK/EMF, because my body was in transition from glucose burning to fat burning. Now I've transitioned I'm finding it a lot easier. It's helping to have 3 cups of broth a day with CO melted into it. But adding the carbs only prolongs the transition and makes life harder, I think.

Good luck with it, Gigi!
    ^this... Your body is used to running on glucose and when you don't supply it, it thinks it's hungry... but there is plenty of fuel available if you're overweight like me. There's a transition period where you feel hungry and tired b/c your body hasn't made the switch yet - about a week. After that, you'll be good to go on less food and very little carbohydrate.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do you all make your own broth? I have some chicken broth in the freezer, though it's been in there for months (or longer, lol). I did make that myself, but Whole Foods has cans of broth (I usually keep some around for when my gastroparesis flares up) which don't have junk ingredients (I think...must double check). I might have to use the broth with the oil just until the hunger supression kicks in.