Page 181 of 280 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 2797

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 181

  1. #1801
    mks8500's Avatar
    mks8500 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    S FL
    Posts
    90
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    I've never managed to get a trace on a ketostix either though I have never eaten more than 12g carb for the past year so have given up on them. I suspect it might be too much water as I do drink a lot of it

    I think a ketone blood monitor is the only way to go, though given megqn's experience so far, I'd like to get a better understqnding of what works before I try as the sticks are so expensive. Looking forward to Demuralist being the next guinea pig
    I hope that my experience doesn't deter you. I think I'm one of those special cases that require just the right tweaking. I think most people probably get into it faster and can stay in it without being quite as restrictive and specific as I'm having to be. I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong (and I am in a sense) but I'm determined to figure it out for me. I do think the blood ketone monitor is a great asset for those that need some evidence beyond the stixs and who have hit a plateau that isn't budging. The price of the strips, although expensive just isn't as big of a factor for me. I'm not rich and I have money issues too, but I spend $2 on a cup of coffee that I've been making at home instead so I can get more strips. ;-)

    On another note, if any of you have an iphone, Apple has a free app called Podcasts. On that if you search for LLVLC, you'll see Jimmy Moore's podcast. More importantly, you'll be able to search through them for his discussions with many of the MDs that we're following (Attia, Phinney, etc). I've been listening the last few days and there are some super interesting episodes.

    Food for Thought.

    Ooops....ALSO, hit 80/15/5 yesterday and blood ketones were at 1.2 this morning (from .7 yesterday).

  2. #1802
    geostump's Avatar
    geostump is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio, its not the heart of it all
    Posts
    10,744
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Can you come and talk to my MIL... she doesn't believe that Primal can help Fibro...
    It took me almost 3 years of discussion with her to get her to change. Maybe my friend should talk to her.

  3. #1803
    252dlp's Avatar
    252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    This is primal. A lifestyle. Once you meet your goal weight, things like potatoes might be more of an option. Maybe you'll have a nonprimal day planned here or there, but in reality, you shouldn't be thinking about adding back processed foods and sugars and grains again. There just is no point in my opinion. I have discovered that they SUCK, and I have absolutely no need for them. I hope I am making sense.
    Yes, perfect sense. This is exactly right. I've been searching for the right way of eating that I can live with forever. Low carb (i.e., Atkins) was close, but I needed something more flexible. I realize I can make anything flexible, but the mental thing of "cheating" is something that drags me down. I seem to need a structure to my life, even in eating and no matter what I call it, it's structured. So far I think Primal is the closest to what I'd like to do for the rest of my life. The processed carbs are easiest on my stomach (gastroparesis), but make me feel horrible in other ways.

  4. #1804
    demuralist's Avatar
    demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    8,550
    yeah, Megan! Now it will be interesting to see what happens as you hold close to those percentages.

  5. #1805
    geostump's Avatar
    geostump is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio, its not the heart of it all
    Posts
    10,744
    Quote Originally Posted by mks8500 View Post
    On another note, if any of you have an iphone, Apple has a free app called Podcasts. On that if you search for LLVLC, you'll see Jimmy Moore's podcast. More importantly, you'll be able to search through them for his discussions with many of the MDs that we're following (Attia, Phinney, etc). I've been listening the last few days and there are some super interesting episodes.

    Food for Thought.

    Ooops....ALSO, hit 80/15/5 yesterday and blood ketones were at 1.2 this morning (from .7 yesterday).
    Thanks for the app recommendation. I'll look that up.

    Great job on boosting your ketones!

  6. #1806
    demuralist's Avatar
    demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    8,550
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    Yes, perfect sense. This is exactly right. I've been searching for the right way of eating that I can live with forever. Low carb (i.e., Atkins) was close, but I needed something more flexible. I realize I can make anything flexible, but the mental thing of "cheating" is something that drags me down. I seem to need a structure to my life, even in eating and no matter what I call it, it's structured. So far I think Primal is the closest to what I'd like to do for the rest of my life. The processed carbs are easiest on my stomach (gastroparesis), but make me feel horrible in other ways.
    I would think that processing highly nutritious food in your own way (ie. pureed soups, smoothies, etc) would be way better on the stomach as well as for the rest of your body. Your situation might be the one time where juicing might be helpful?

  7. #1807
    mks8500's Avatar
    mks8500 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    S FL
    Posts
    90
    Speaking of processing...does anyone else hear their stomach digesting at night? Weird question I'm sure, but when I lay down to go to bed at night, I feel like I can almost hear the digestion. I don't go to bed for several hours after I eat so it's weird. Not troubling, just curious. It almost sounds like a stomach growl but not.

  8. #1808
    jenn26point2's Avatar
    jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,472
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    It took me almost 3 years of discussion with her to get her to change. Maybe my friend should talk to her.
    I started talking to MIL a year ago. She bought the PB and read it. Practiced it (probably 80/20) for about 2 months or so. I could tell things were not going to work out between her and Primal when I commented to her that using olive oil on the grill was a bad idea due to its low heat tolerance and propensity to go rancid at high temps, causing free radicals that explode through cell walls and can ultimately increase her inflammation if used improperly and recommended she use coconut oil or butter instead... she snapped at me and said "everything is going to kill us". One time I saw she was making spaghetti for dinner and asked if she was still eating Primally. She said it was too restrictive and didn't work. I sent her articles providing evidence that grains can cause fibro pain and a Paleo diet can improve fibro symptoms. She replied with a comment that she knows what her triggers are and what she can and can't eat and basically to leave her alone. Now she uses pot to ease her fibro symptoms. I'm pretty sure any efforts I make to try to help her will fail, so I have given up and walked away.


    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    Yes, perfect sense. This is exactly right. I've been searching for the right way of eating that I can live with forever. Low carb (i.e., Atkins) was close, but I needed something more flexible. I realize I can make anything flexible, but the mental thing of "cheating" is something that drags me down. I seem to need a structure to my life, even in eating and no matter what I call it, it's structured. So far I think Primal is the closest to what I'd like to do for the rest of my life. The processed carbs are easiest on my stomach (gastroparesis), but make me feel horrible in other ways.
    My mom has always said that I require structure in my life. When I joined the Army, she said she wasn't shocked one bit. She said I always liked school because it provided structure to my life - and here I am 33 years old and still in school. I enjoy Primal b/c it's easy to follow - again, certain rules that need to be followed. When I try to eat better without tracking, etc, I sometimes feel like I'm wandering around without a path. But... during my Whole30's I didn't track, so maybe that's not entirely accurate... but there were finite rules I had to follow to see success, so there again, structure.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)




  9. #1809
    252dlp's Avatar
    252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    425
    [QUOTE=MrsZimm13;1109305 think at many times during my life I have wanted the weight to magically disappear, but with Primal it's different. The lack of cravings and desire for food is amazing. I feel free from the intense manic need to eat before boarding a plane. I used to have to "stock up" and buy something to have on the plane - the thought of NOT having food available would panic me. No longer. I can be cooped up and not constantly think of where the next mouthful will come from.
    [/QUOTE]

    OMG, this is SOOOO me! It started when I found out I am Celiac and dairy intolerant...I started doing just THIS! I thought I had overcome most of it, but got myself in trouble last year when my boss wanted to send me back East on business. My first thought was, "what am I going to eat!". I still do it, I still pack food. For that trip, most of my 30" suitcase was food, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by calee View Post
    I'm clse to getting back to my summer weight of 142. Just 4 to go.
    Great job!!


    ~~~~

    Yesterday's percentages were still too high and I was still too hungry. I think today's percentages will be better, but it's just getting over the hunger, which, if I'm truthful, I think is mostly in my head. I "think" I'm hungry. I'm feeling hungry now, but am going to wait a bit longer to make sure it's true. It probably is since I haven't eaten for about 4 hours and even then it was just 1 oz of goat cheese and a commuter cup of coffee with a little butter, and I've been drinking water, so it shouldn't be "thirst".

    Yesterday:

    106g protein (20%)
    64g carbs (12%)
    163g fat (68%)
    Calories 2,156 (wow)

    Today is planned as follows:

    96g protein (23%) (still to high, but better)
    49g carbs (12%) (again still to high, but better)
    124g fat (66%) (slightly low)
    Calories 1,680 (better)

    Oh well, it's a process. I had to laugh last night....I could NOT get to sleep. That's not usually my problem, my problem (lifelong) has always been staying asleep. So, after an hour of just laying there, I got up with the intention of playing on my computer. It had other ideas so I decided to read more of the Primal Blueprint, which I haven't finished yet. The laughing part came in when I opened to where I left off and the chapter was about sleep.

    So, I had a lot of time to think about a lot of things last night and what I reinforced into my brain was that I need to move more. I don't move nearly enough. If I did, percentages like the last few days wouldn't be as impactful. {{sigh}} It's a process.

  10. #1810
    jenn26point2's Avatar
    jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,472
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    Oh well, it's a process. I had to laugh last night....I could NOT get to sleep. That's not usually my problem, my problem (lifelong) has always been staying asleep. So, after an hour of just laying there, I got up with the intention of playing on my computer. It had other ideas so I decided to read more of the Primal Blueprint, which I haven't finished yet. The laughing part came in when I opened to where I left off and the chapter was about sleep.

    So, I had a lot of time to think about a lot of things last night and what I reinforced into my brain was that I need to move more. I don't move nearly enough. If I did, percentages like the last few days wouldn't be as impactful. {{sigh}} It's a process.
    I need to sleep more and move more too. I just commented about sleep on my journal. lol
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)




Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •