Page 179 of 282 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189229279 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 179

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Regarding the question of ketosis and why some have to do more macinations with the macros to lose weight, well if we knew the answer we would be rich. I do know that my first diet, 40+ years ago worked much better than my last one about a year ago. That is why this thread is all about supporting each contributor in their own N=1 experiment.

Well I'm frustrated . I've been on a huge binging streak, and it's not like I keep bad things in my house which means I'm going out to the store and buying all sorts of crap food which in turn is making me feel all kinds of physically/emotionally crappy. I'm debating going the 5 htp/l glutamine route, what are people's experiences with it, doseage, etc? It sounds like maybe it could be something that might work on my sleep issues too?

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    A few thoughts...

There are different levels of ketosis. Anything from .5mmol to 5.0mmol Ketones in the blood is ketosis.

Ketostix are notoriously inaccurate. Some people don't register, others get super high readings, but blood ketone readings may not match.

Some of us are striving for the 4.0-5.0 range which calls for high fat, low carb and for some, lower protein.
    Makes more sense now. It just struck me. Of course, now that I'm thinking about it again... I was nine freakin' year old. My body was probably like.. "The hell?"

Quote Originally Posted by SAdams View Post
    Demuralist my husband works out of town for 20 day each month and has a very poor diet while he is gone. Well I decided that I was going to convert the kids over to primal and stoped buying the chips and crap. He came home for his 10 days off and even though we were eating ribs and steak and chicken he was pissed that their wasn't any frozen pizza or ramen noodles or chips in the house which ended up with me going out to the store at 10 pm to buy his stuff. He was really upset but after being off primal and gaining the 20lbs I lost plus 10 more pounds he has said we should start eating this way again. He is a normal size man, ranges from 155-170 at 5'6" with a little beer belly, and has decided he wants to get back to his lean weight. We were both pretty thin when we met but after 2 kids have both gained weight.

Gladmorning I wanted to recomend trying some Elderberry syrup. A few weeks ago my children both seemed to be coming down with the flu and after 3 doses were back to their healthy selves. It has also helped to shorten a cold I had a while back, usually they would last weeks but it only lasted about 3 days and wasn't to bad (I may also contribute that to quiting smoking).
    I will see if I can find some elderberry syrup tomorrow, thank you! Sounds like you were in a very situation to mine. Only now, I refuse to bring the crap home. I always get 2-3 texts messages from her when I'm at working asking for things. I've stopped bringing them. I always come up with an excuse as to why. I know she's going to catch on, and the Shit is going to hit the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Regarding the question of ketosis and why some have to do more macinations with the macros to lose weight, well if we knew the answer we would be rich. I do know that my first diet, 40+ years ago worked much better than my last one about a year ago. That is why this thread is all about supporting each contributor in their own N=1 experiment.
    Which is why I follow this thread adamantly. There are so many wonderful people here so unafraid to try new experiments. Lots of good info with good ideas to try if something doesn't work. I think I am starting to fully understand the whole fat/protein thing. Ketosis... well... that I will probably never understand. I am back into it, though. I hate the taste in my mouth.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I've been eating very low carb Primal and losing weight for the last 2 years. I can't even manage the level of "trace" on the Ketostick. Will the blood ketone monitor show if I'm in ketosis?
    I've never managed to get a trace on a ketostix either though I have never eaten more than 12g carb for the past year so have given up on them. I suspect it might be too much water as I do drink a lot of it

I think a ketone blood monitor is the only way to go, though given megqn's experience so far, I'd like to get a better understqnding of what works before I try as the sticks are so expensive. Looking forward to Demuralist being the next guinea pig

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal Betty View Post
    Well I'm frustrated . I've been on a huge binging streak, and it's not like I keep bad things in my house which means I'm going out to the store and buying all sorts of crap food which in turn is making me feel all kinds of physically/emotionally crappy. I'm debating going the 5 htp/l glutamine route, what are people's experiences with it, doseage, etc? It sounds like maybe it could be something that might work on my sleep issues too?
    l-glutamine powder placed under the tongue can help stop the brain craving for carbs. It is an amino acid that the brain uses for fuel. I find it useful when I am out of calories and protein for the day, but feel bingey.

I use 5htp to improve my sleep and raise evening levels of serotonin. Night bingers often have lower than normal evening levels. I would start with one 50 mg dose with dinner.

adavison is offline Member
    Must...confess...I've been eating dairy. BUT, it's not causing cravings. I have limited it but added just a little to my daily diet. I've added HWC, Asiago and Gouda. Seems to be doing ok. My appetite is gone! Stuggling to eat enough. I have cut out eggs because I've noticed drainage when I eat them. And then I cough and cough and cough.My clothes are hanging on me. I will weigh on Saturday. I'm sleeping well and the crazy, vivid dreams are gone. I'm struggling with leg cramps, so I've started broth. Also I've have noticed heart pounding occasionally. I feel like I might, just might, be in my healthy weight range. I am so close. We shall see on Saturday.
    37 yof
    5'9

Macros:
    70% fat
    20% protein
    10% net carbs
    1300-1500 calories

SW:180ish
    CW:171
    GW:155

mks8500 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    do you mean FBS? the idea, for me, is that Dr. Ede, who is doing her own N=1 experiment, posted a blog that included information from a doctor who states that being in deep ketosis and having FBS in the 50's will deter if not cure cancer. He quoted studies. Rats I can't find the details of either her blog or his study. I can look it up when I get home, unless Pebbles jumps in here before then.

I would kill to lose .5 a pound a week consistently.
    Yeah I meant FBS. I too would love to lose .5 per week consistently....I gained last week. Pebbles I hit 80/15/5 tonight! Fingers crossed for tomorrow's numbers. :-)

mks8500 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adavison View Post
    Must...confess...I've been eating dairy. BUT, it's not causing cravings. I have limited it but added just a little to my daily diet. I've added HWC, Asiago and Gouda. Seems to be doing ok. My appetite is gone! Stuggling to eat enough. I have cut out eggs because I've noticed drainage when I eat them. And then I cough and cough and cough.My clothes are hanging on me. I will weigh on Saturday. I'm sleeping well and the crazy, vivid dreams are gone. I'm struggling with leg cramps, so I've started broth. Also I've have noticed heart pounding occasionally. I feel like I might, just might, be in my healthy weight range. I am so close. We shall see on Saturday.
    Excellent!!

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Ditto! Excellent job adavison

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I ran into one of my friends at work today for what will be the last time we'll be seeing each other and she looked at me and was like "holy crap Georgette. Are you losing weight?" So I said I have been and I explained NK to her and she was like "wow!" In other cool news, I have gotten a good friend of mine in Canada to go primal. She started last week and has had fibro since she was a kid. She is so amazed at all the energy and how great she feels. I'm glad she has finally started this.
    Georgette