Page 178 of 281 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188228278 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 2806

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 178

mks8500 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Well those numbers came out all crazy looking. Sorry. I'm losing weight (like .5 in a week) but not like I was the first few weeks when I'm certain I just THOUGHT I was in ketosis (water weight?). I thought for sure I'd be up around the 2's today so I was perplexed to see it actually dropped. I've been testing in the morning so I wanted to be consistent. What does the testing of the FBG show/prove? Does anyone understand the correlation?

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    do you mean FBS? the idea, for me, is that Dr. Ede, who is doing her own N=1 experiment, posted a blog that included information from a doctor who states that being in deep ketosis and having FBS in the 50's will deter if not cure cancer. He quoted studies. Rats I can't find the details of either her blog or his study. I can look it up when I get home, unless Pebbles jumps in here before then.

I would kill to lose .5 a pound a week consistently.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I just checked MFP and while I haven't been practicing EMF the last couple of days, my carbs have remained at about 16% of my calories and my fat has been about 65% of my calories. Not bad for not really trying...

Tomorrow, I be trying again.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Megan, I have read that you do need a high percentage (70 or more percent of total calories) of fat in relation to the other macros to reach deep ketosis. Our original macro formula gives most people from 70-75% fat.

So your mission if you choose to accept it it to keep carbs and protein low, but eat the fat!

The lower Fasting Blood Glucose (55-65 mg/dl) correlates to a higher blood ketone level. It is useful for those of us that do not have a ketone monitor or are trying to hit a lower FBG for cancer prevention.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-26-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    I would say ya'll are doing great. I've stopped fussing about macros and and ketones, and I'm just living and eating. I have lost a total of 15 pounds since february 1st. 10 of which I am convinced was water weight. Doesn't matter to me. My whole second week, russian circus was in town and I gained SEVEN freaking pounds of water weight by day 2 and spent the next 5 days losing it. Today was the first new progress. Down an official pound since beginning of Russian circus. Take that mother nature. I really hope someday I won't gain so much weight with it. It's very irritating to deal with THAT on top of it. Ya know?

I have been getting sick over the last three days. Started with a sore throat and has now turned to a cough and chest full a gunk. Mom and dad are both sick. I am trying to aid myself my water, tea and extra vit C. They are stuffing themselves with ice cream, frozen pizza and brandy. Yeah, because that's going to help. Sometimes, it's really freaking hard to live with these two.

I originally came back to this place because Mom couldn't take of herself or the house. I genuinely believed it was out of her control- her health being so bad. NOW I believe that almost all of it is related to her piss poor diet of cheese sticks, frozen pizza, fast food and every sugary substance on earth.

Ok, I could go on but I'll end this rant. I'm just crabby and sick.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Ya know what I don't get about ketosis? Back in the day, when I was 9 years old and on my first diet (thanks, dad) I did atkins. So you know, I ate nothing but meant, cheese and eggs in butter, or raw. I was in ketosis the whole time. Pretty sure, though I was eating quite a bit of fat, my protein what through the roof. Why is that if people are saying fat has to be the highest to get into ketosis? NOT trying to be a jerk or combative or anything. I'm just remember what I went through, and now I'm confused.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating very low carb Primal and losing weight for the last 2 years. I can't even manage the level of "trace" on the Ketostick. Will the blood ketone monitor show if I'm in ketosis?
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 02-26-2013 at 02:57 PM.

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    I think with the alcohol, it gets in the way because it's a carb/sugar that the body burns first for quick energy. So if you don't imbibe, you keep on burning the fat. I think! But I don't drink, so ... *g*

This new way of approaching nutrition is starting to settle. I do find it hard to get the fat in, not because I don't like it but because there's a lot of fat to eat every day! But I'm adding CO to every mug of bone broth, plus I cook my morning eggs in a mix of grass fed butter and CO, and I beat them with some heavy cream first, I'm eating the fattiest cuts of meat/chicken I can find and eating an avocado every day.

The Russian Circus (great label!) has just pulled up stakes, and I'll jump on the scales first of the month for a base line. But I can see just looking the mirror that I've dropped some weight, and I can feel it in my body. I'm trying hard to focus on visual/sensory clues about how this is working for me instead of falling into the trap of letting external cues dictate how I feel about myself and my body. Because I have to keep reminding myself - I don't need someone else to jump on the scales for me to work out that they're carrying too much adipose on their body. So if I can tell with someone else, I should be able to tell with me. And I must must must learn to trust myself and my judgements instead of waiting for external validation.

Back to exercise this morning too. Simple cardio, walking/elliptical machine, to get things moving. This is probably my biggest challenge. Before I broke my immune system, many years ago, I was so fit. I was 9 stone, running 20-30 miles a week, just wonderful. Since then, all I do is struggle to get back there. But I can do it, and I will.

Gladmorning, I am so sorry you're enduring such a negative space. It's really really hard. I'm keeping good thoughts for you. As for the cold, can I recommend the chicken broth loaded with garlic, to kill the crappy germs? Also some zinc.

As ever, thanks everyone for the ongoing inspiration.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    A few thoughts...

There are different levels of ketosis. Anything from .5mmol to 5.0mmol Ketones in the blood is ketosis.

Ketostix are notoriously inaccurate. Some people don't register, others get super high readings, but blood ketone readings may not match.

Some of us are striving for the 4.0-5.0 range which calls for high fat, low carb and for some, lower protein.

SAdams is offline Member
    Demuralist my husband works out of town for 20 day each month and has a very poor diet while he is gone. Well I decided that I was going to convert the kids over to primal and stoped buying the chips and crap. He came home for his 10 days off and even though we were eating ribs and steak and chicken he was pissed that their wasn't any frozen pizza or ramen noodles or chips in the house which ended up with me going out to the store at 10 pm to buy his stuff. He was really upset but after being off primal and gaining the 20lbs I lost plus 10 more pounds he has said we should start eating this way again. He is a normal size man, ranges from 155-170 at 5'6" with a little beer belly, and has decided he wants to get back to his lean weight. We were both pretty thin when we met but after 2 kids have both gained weight.

Gladmorning I wanted to recomend trying some Elderberry syrup. A few weeks ago my children both seemed to be coming down with the flu and after 3 doses were back to their healthy selves. It has also helped to shorten a cold I had a while back, usually they would last weeks but it only lasted about 3 days and wasn't to bad (I may also contribute that to quiting smoking).