Page 175 of 280 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 2797

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 175

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Orranhawk did a Whole 30 and cut out the stevia, which she thought was relatively benign, and within two days discovered that it was what had been causing her a number of issues she couldn't shake.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Absolutely. Programming us to ignore our hunger by eating everything that is on our plates is one of the worst things parents do to their kids.

I was raised to clean my plate "for the starving children in India". We were proud how well we cleaned our plates, regardless of how much was there, whether it was tasty or awful, or who had decided how much to put on it.

Of course, we weren't allowed to put on our plates only what we were hungry for. They had to be heaped high with food. It was a point of pride how much food we were able to pack down.

How'd that work out for starving kids in India, Mom? Didn't work out so well for me.
    This is what I do with my kids. I don't pull the starving kid in India routine. I just let them eat when they want. If dinner isn't ready and they want something, they can eat. I'd rather them eat when they are hungry versus when I have food ready. I know with 5 of us in the house, it'll all be eaten eventually. The only night that everything seems to get eaten at the same time is on Tuesdays. That is called "Taco Tuesdays" in our house and is probably the only night I can guarantee no leftovers.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    The only fat bomb I have now is my bulletproof coffee. I may have a hot tea in the evening with some CO if I want it. The rest of the day I eat food with a lot of fat in it and that helps.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    I too had the starving kids in China thing. I tried to reason with my mom way back then that what was on my plate had nothing to do with people in China, but she wouldn't have it. Still it is part of my upbrining, so it's hard to shake sometimes. I continue to overeat, but I know that once I get into ketosis my appetitie will subside. I just seem to be having a bit of trouble getting there. Today will be a much better day in that regard. I've got everything planned out until dinner.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    This is what I do with my kids. I don't pull the starving kid in India routine. I just let them eat when they want. If dinner isn't ready and they want something, they can eat. I'd rather them eat when they are hungry versus when I have food ready. I know with 5 of us in the house, it'll all be eaten eventually. The only night that everything seems to get eaten at the same time is on Tuesdays. That is called "Taco Tuesdays" in our house and is probably the only night I can guarantee no leftovers.
    Most people can't leave a skinny kid alone. I recall an intelligent woman at the lunch table describing how a houseful of adults would browbeat one kid to get her to eat more, convinced that if they didn't do this the kid would literally stop eating and starve to death. I could only think of how they had trained the kid to see mealtime as a game to rile up the adults.

When I first moved into the house I live in, I didn't have a stove here. Every day for a month until I got the stove my 2 year old daughter wanted carrots for supper. Did I get sick of microwaved carrots or what? And then when she went to school, every day she had a peanut butter sandwich, plain or with chocolate, until she got into high school and started bringing leftovers. After she graduated she thanked me for letting her have what she wanted, while all the other kids were bringing in stuff their parents forced on them.

My boyfriend's mother is Korean and grew up in true poverty. She would serve small portions, and you had to eat your portion before she would ask you if you wanted more. His American grandparents tried to force him to eat once, and he vomited at the dinner table. It happened only once.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 02-26-2013 at 07:33 AM.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    I don't force my kids to eat what is on their plate. I try to plate up just a small amount of food for them. Sometimes they eat it, sometimes they don't. Every night while I'm making dinner, they're complaining of being hungry and rummaging through the fridge for things like string cheese, hotdogs, etc. We are on our last pack of hotdogs and I won't buy any more. I have a fridge that is fully stocked with apples, pears, strawberries, blueberries, cheese (3 kinds), and bananas on the counter. They are allowed to eat any of that stuff they want before dinner, and skip dinner if they're full when it's ready.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

3 of my 11 lbs is gone - overnight - just like that. Not practicing the low carb thing right now - just getting back into the groove of eating primally after my week off. Will start working toward ketosis again tomorrow.

That's fantastic Jenn!!

Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    That's fantastic Jenn!!
    haha Thank you... but I'm thinking what would have been fantastic is to have remained on track, to not have eaten wheat and sugar like it was an endangered resource, and to have NOT gained 11 lbs doing so! lol But thank you for the encouragement!!

You're welcome {{speaking as one who just put back on the two pounds she lost by endulging in too much of whatever and now can't get TWO pounds off, lol}}