Page 172 of 282 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222272 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 172

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    I do my shopping on Saturday, but that can also get me in trouble if I buy too many new things because I want to try them all at once, lol. This week I bought a spaghetti squash. I haven't had one in years, and I never really did love them, but I wanted to try again since way back when I was still eating regular pasta and was trying to substitute for that. Yesterday I decided to just make it a dish by itself, not a substitute, so I sauteed it with chicken in some garlic herb butter and it was yummy. I'm planning on having that for dinner tonight, but with bacon instead of chicken since my protein for today is already too high.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
    so I sauteed it with chicken in some garlic herb butter and it was yummy.
    That does sound yummy. The only way I eat spaghetti squash is as spaghetti... I nuke it with water and butter. Very yummy. But your way sounds better.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Well, now that I've been gluten free since 2005, I may actually try it as spaghetti replacement again too. The rice noodles out there are really very good, but mentally I think I could accept the spaghetti squash now better than I could before I had to go gluten-free, especially now since I found it so yummy yesterday. Does that make sense, lol?

mks8500 is offline Member
    Well it seems like the weekend did it in for some of us. I managed to hang on but was STARVING last night after trying to keep my protein around 50. The good news is that I did it (77g fat, 52g protein, 6g carbs). The better news is that the low protein worked. My blood ketones were at 1.7 this morning which is the highest they've ever been. I know it was the protein since I've had days with 6g of carbs before. The bad news is I have no idea how to maintain this I only ate 896 calories yesterday as a result...no wonder I was starving. So...I need to keep protein AND carbs low...swell.

In other news, I go on vacation for a long weekend on Thursday and have no idea how I'll do it since it's a celebration trip (finished my master's degree today) and a reunion with college friends...for whatever reason we ALWAYS meet over a meal. I'm going to do my best but not be crazy. I'm stressing about being out of ketosis just as soon as I've figure it out though.

Megan

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Megan, Why is your fat so low?

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mks8500 View Post
    Well it seems like the weekend did it in for some of us. I managed to hang on but was STARVING last night after trying to keep my protein around 50. The good news is that I did it (77g fat, 52g protein, 6g carbs). The better news is that the low protein worked. My blood ketones were at 1.7 this morning which is the highest they've ever been. I know it was the protein since I've had days with 6g of carbs before. The bad news is I have no idea how to maintain this I only ate 896 calories yesterday as a result...no wonder I was starving. So...I need to keep protein AND carbs low...swell.

Megan
    Megan, you are starving because you didn't have enough fat, with 52g of protein your fat should be over 100g. If you do dairy, you could end your night with a Bullet Proof tea (you would get 11g of fat for a T of butter, 14g of fat for a T of MCT oil, 10g for a T of HWC if you chose to use that.) Or you could make a fat bomb.

p.s. congrats on the Master's Degree!!!!

pamola10 is offline Member
    Megan, congrats on the degree! Yahoo!

Good thread as always. Nothing like opening up and finding four new pages...since yesterday!

It does sound like the weekend was rough but lots of people have strategies in plan and in place to make things work better. My weekend was good: I am here by myself, enjoying that. I am very tired and foggy in the head but I think it is more about work and less about EMF. I am getting the "more fat, less protein" part better now, and focusing my veggies on mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, brussels sprouts (rather than the beets, carrots, onions and tomatoes that I prefer). I am also saving a spot for a bit of 85% dark chocolate because otherwise I'll dip into deprivation mind which is an unsafe place to be.

I located ketostix here but they only had the glucose and ketone type. That'll do. My last ketostrip, desperately out of date, showed MODERATE this afternoon....YAY for me! I can't tell you how long it has been since I showed any colour of purple on a ketostick. Even with other markers suggesting ketosis I'll show nothing, and in serious weight loss mode I show trace. So this felt like a big deal, even though I was prepared for anything.

This whole eating thing is a lot easier with my DH out of town. Just noticing that. He'll be back later this week and then I'll have a lot more to figure out.

Keep up the great work, everyone. I am off to look at fat recipes in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Megan, Why is your fat so low?
    Poor planning I guess. By dinner I had run out of protein and really wanted to see how things ended up on the monitor if protein was around 50g. Short of drinking oil I was sort of stuck. I'm hoping today is better but it's not looking like it so far. I tried my first avocado last week and I'm not a huge fan. Trying to stay away from dairy but have used HWC and Cream Cheese for the fat. I just need to find some stuff that works and so far I haven't found it. Still hungry today. It's about 4:30 and I have about 25g of protein to mess with for the rest of the day. Then I'll test again in the morning and will hopefully be above 2. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Megan, you are starving because you didn't have enough fat, with 52g of protein your fat should be over 100g. If you do dairy, you could end your night with a Bullet Proof tea (you would get 11g of fat for a T of butter, 14g of fat for a T of MCT oil, 10g for a T of HWC if you chose to use that.) Or you could make a fat bomb.

p.s. congrats on the Master's Degree!!!!
    What's a fat bomb? I'm willing to try almost anything. I'm not a big fan of tea so I'd have to go buy some.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It is easier for me when DH is out of town as well. Makes no sense really, as I just make myself a big salad and whatever protein I am serving them, then add some starch for them, which I have no problem resisting.