Page 169 of 282 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219269 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 169

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    No. It was so frustrating to be unable to see his results after reading the comments section.
    Ketone Measuring | DietDoctor.com

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    OH - well I guess that isn't such a bad price....... but still - my cheapness is saying, "do I need to spend $14.99 for something that I will pee on and throw away?" Maybe I'll splurg just once

SCIENCE, Tomi, SCIENCE!!!!!

And yes, the booze will probably throw you out.

I'm 4 days on the wagon... care to join me?

Julie

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    There is a recipe group for LCHF on MDA , and in that group there is a discussion called "How to get more fat for NK" and there are 2 links in there with suggestions. Also many of us are members of MyFitnessPal and have friended each other, so we can check out each other's diaries for ideas and suggestions. The recipe group itself also has recipes for fat bombs and other things for getting fat.
    Great, I was just wondering the same thing as BklynGirl.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Yeah Thanks, I've read all of those, but none of them seem to clearly follow up on his post from Sept 10th. He has a bad habit of laying out teasers and then never answering them. IMO anyway. I prefer the clear way Dr. EDE gives her results.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    question............. will alcohol throw me out of ketosis?
    Okay, I know the breath stink thing isn't 100%. The other day I had about as non-primal a day as one can have. Health wise if not off food-wise. Basically all I had to eat and drink all day was a generous amount of vodka, and about a cup of cooked white rice. I put about a tablespoon of butter on the rice. I woke up the next AM, went potty, came back into my bedroom, and the room smelled like keto breath. To say I was surprised is an understatement.

Can ketosis occur just because calories are low?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mks8500 View Post
    What tests? :-)

My HSIS is between 91 and 100kg. I know this seems high, but I remember myself just a few lbs skinnier than that and it wasn't pretty. I workout 5 days a week alternating between swimming, cycling and running. On days that I run I throw in a few sets of push ups, med ball exercises or something involving a kettle bell.

So Pebbles, mine would be 91kg x .8 = 72.8 or 100kg x .8 = 80, right? Many of my days were below 80 (many of them weren't too). I think I'll aim for the lower number of 70-72 ish this week.

I hope I'm not sounding combative or argumentative. I'm writing/talking through this as I go. I really do appreciate the input.

ME
    We have lots of different heights here, and largely female, so your numbers will clearly run pretty high. (100kg = 220 pounds) It looks like a starting point would be (using the higher numbers):

80-100g protein -- 400 kcal
    40-50g carb -- 200 kcal
    160-200g fat -- 1800 kcal
    total for the day -- 2400 kcal

I see you said 5'11'' - 6' tall. How muscular?
    Last edited by Annlee; 02-25-2013 at 08:31 PM.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

Can ketosis occur just because calories are low?
    Absolutely, cuz when I did the potato hack and was ending up with 500 calorie
    days, but still doing my usual exercise, the sticks turned purple.

However, the alcohol is very dehydrating, so it coulda just been booze fumes
    in your case. HAR!

Julie

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Lower protein experiment Day 3

Macros...Binge!

Wt 229.8 +3.2
    FBS 112
    Ketostix - Negative

So, looking at this scientifically, 1) I was on day 5, on the brink of going into deep ketosis. I was really hungry yesterday. I ate all my primal calories by noon. I have to figure out how to get past this hump. I have successfully done it before.
    2) Sundays are dangerous for me. I have binged the last three. Yesterday, I began to dwell on the difficulties of the upcoming week. So the emotional stuff coupled with my body screaming for something was too much for me.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-25-2013 at 03:08 AM.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I am having trouble as well. Not sure why, but the switch to lower protein has set off afternoon cravings. The odd thing is that breakfast is essentially the same as before, as well as lunch, it is just that I have less protein for dinner, which should not effect my afternoon. Unless it is about the idea of feeling deprived? I dunno.

For now, I am not going to worry about it. I am going to continue to keep the carbs low and go back to trying to keep each meal with less than 25g of protein instead of 20g. Hopefully that will take care of things.

p.s. I googled "blood ketone monitor" and decided to go with this site Nova Max Ketone Strips With FREE Glucose & Ketone Meter Kit | Glucose Meter I am sure you can get them at any drugstore, just make sure you get one that tests blood ketones and the sticks that will do the same.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, then add me to the crowd that has a little trouble. Weekends are a "treat" day for me. One of those is a Sunday walk with a Starbuck's coffee. I usually get a "skinny" with soy milk...totally not primal, but at least not too carby. Yesterday I tried a soy mocha. The good news is that I found that I really wasn't enjoying it, so did throw it out as soon as I found a garbage can, but the bad news is that I probably drank at least half of it. That put my carb count up around 90 grams (total for the day) yesterday. That caused some water weight gain today and seemed to wake up my hunger a bit--I was just getting the appetite suppression thing. {{Sigh}} Lesson learned.

Another area of trouble is that I need to do a better job of planning things out. Today I'll be a little high on protein...not sure how to remedy it now that I'm at work, but I can do better tomorrow. My calories will also be high today. {{Sigh}}

I refigured my numbers on my goal weight of 140:

(Rounding)
    32 g carbs (for 128 cal)
    64 g protein (for 256 cal)
    127 g fat (for 1,143 cal)

That's a total of 1,527 calories. I'm eating way more than that. Last week I was at around 1,700 calories. Today will be more like 1,900 calories, so I'm way overeating, and most of that is protein.

If I eat everything I've brought for lunch, and try to salvage my macronutrients at dinner, my day should look like this:

96 g protein
    22 g carbs
    158 g fat

for 1,924 calories