Page 167 of 280 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217267 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 2797

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 167

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    The meter is the same meter as Diabetics use, though not all meters can test for ketones. Some only test blood sugar. And the strips for blood sugar are different than the ones for ketones.
    Would you repeat what I should look for on his meter to discover if it is usable and what strips to buy if it is the correct one.
    Thanks.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I don't actually know at the moment, mine has not arrived. You should be able to google the name of his device to see if it is capable of testing the ketones. If so you need to get the ketone strips specific to the meter he has.

I don't actually know at the moment, mine has not arrived. You should be able to google the name of his device to see if it is capable of testing the ketones. If so you need to get the ketone strips specific to the meter he has.
    Thanks, that sounds like the easiest way. To borrow someone elses meter isn't exactly like asking to borrow his toothbrush, since the only area that touches one's body fluids is the test strip, right?, it shouldn't put him in an uncomfortable position.

When my weight loss has stalled and I feel it's due to water retention, (my wedding ring fits a bit snugger) I notice after a few days to a week of going to the bathroom like crazy (pee), this can go on all of 1 day and through the night (really annoying), but after it slows down and I weigh, I find I'd lost considerable weight. Could I be right in suspecting that this is how my body retains and then releases water?

no, but you can get the meter for free when you buy the test strips...Nova Max Ketone Strips With FREE Glucose & Ketone Meter Kit | Glucose Meter

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    When my weight loss has stalled and I feel it's due to water retention, (my wedding ring fits a bit snugger) I notice after a few days to a week of going to the bathroom like crazy (pee), this can go on all of 1 day and through the night (really annoying), but after it slows down and I weigh, I find I'd lost considerable weight. Could I be right in suspecting that this is how my body retains and then releases water?
    well urinating is definitely the way your body releases water (as well as sweat). There are lots of reasons why the body retains water, and where it holds it (mine is generally the outer extremities-hands and feet).

well urinating is definitely the way your body releases water (as well as sweat). There are lots of reasons why the body retains water, and where it holds it (mine is generally the outer extremities-hands and feet).
    If I knew what was causing it I stop it, guess anyone would. The school library is a bit of a walk to the bathrooms and sometimes I need to go every 45 mins. to an hour.

Sorry, didn't realize you were asking for possible explanations of why. Simplistically, salt concentration in the system is the most common reason for retention. Either from ingesting too much salt or too little water. When it gets back to normal the body releases the water. For me consistently drinking a good bit of water every single day is the best way to make sure I don't spend one day puffy and the next day in the bathroom. I also add a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) to a 50oz bottle of water (along with stevia to taste) and drink that in the morning every day. My intake of fluids is from 125oz to 150oz a day.

Inactivity can also cause retention or at least pooling in the extremities as muscle action is what moves the fluids around. Personally I plan to make a trip to the bathroom at least once an hour while at work because I have a job where I sit too much.

If you don't think that is the issue, then you should probably have it checked. Constant water retention is related to high blood pressure (not sure which comes first, but when I don't retain water I don't have high blood pressure). And there are medical reasons for retention, that probably require medication.

OzK
    OzK is offline Member
    Well, after spending yesterday reading this whole thread (!) I have to say, wow. What an amazing group of people. I am so inspired by the honesty and results and dedication to finding a healthy way to eat and live. Thanks so much to Pebble, who got the ball rolling on this thread and especially for making the calculation for NK eating so simple that even I can make sense of it.

In a nutshell, I am battling (yet again) to get my weight and fitness under control. I'm coming off 15 years of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, a year of chronic sinus infection, prolapsed disc x2, ruptured disc and 2 prolapsed discs, sprung rib, rotated vertebrae - and most recently, a bout of norovirus followed by a tooth extraction that got infected. The norovirus thing, which is like having food poisoning for a week, after which I could only eat potatoes for a week, really acted as a circuit breaker. After getting really fit and lowering my weight almost to goal, a couple of years ago (that was after finally kicking the CFS, pretty much) it's been a nightmare of sickness and physical issues. But I'm confident that's behind me now and I can work my way back to optimum weight, health and fitness levels and never have to deal with this kind of nonsense ever again.

It's taken me a long time to really accept that I must eat primal/low carb if I'm to have any hope of sustaining my health, given that my immune system is permanently compromised. But now I think the NK angle is the final piece of the puzzle. It's only been a few days and I can already feel the difference. I'm really looking forward to the ongoing transformation.

Biggest tip as a newbie I can pass on is the absolute brilliance of bone broth/stock. I had some spatchcock at their use by date on Friday and for some reason I thought, hmm, I need to make some soup/broth out of this. The chicken, some celery, some sliced fresh ginger, fresh garlic cloves, mixed peppercorns and sea salt, simmered in a heavy pot on the stove for 4 hours. Meat, bones and stuff taken out - and I drank the whole lot in one day. I could feel my body weeping with joy at the kick of healthy salts, fats and minerals. I'm now making it a daily intake, but now I soak the meat/bones in the water with a splash of apple cider vinegar for an hour first to help leach the bones. The stock really really helps with the NK transition, and the electrolyte issues that can arise.

Because I have body image/binging/emotional eating issues I'm not going to weigh myself very much at all. I have clothes that should fit and don't. I'll let them be my guide on this journey, for the most part. Also looking in the mirror. I'm not counting calories because that messes with my head too. I want to focus my energy on living and moving and climbing out from under the weight of so much ill health that has kept me so limited and in a small space.

Thanks! I look forward to sharing this journey with you.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Welcome Ozk!