Page 159 of 282 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169209259 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 159

epicuriousbynature is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    Speaking of fat, if you want something just out-of-this-world delish, try org duck fat.
    I buy it here Amazon.com: duck fat organic
    It is expensive but it's a good size jar and you use just a little .. Scrambled or fried eggs, OMG, sooo good.
    Yum, I remember eating potato wedges fried in Duck Fat when I was in Ireland a few years ago... A-Maz-Ing!!!

epicuriousbynature is offline Junior Member
    Xantham and Guar Gum info..... I knew some of it and learned some more!!!

http://docs.bobsredmill.com/index2.p...5307&Itemid=29

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I take it in "granules" like nearly powdered. I buy it in 5 lb sacks from NOW at Amazon. Buying the boxes of Knox are just way too expensive.
    I'm going to try this once I have some money. It might even override my short term desire for a blood ketone monitor

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    Speaking of fat, if you want something just out-of-this-world delish, try org duck fat.
    I buy it here Amazon.com: duck fat organic
    It is expensive but it's a good size jar and you use just a little .. Scrambled or fried eggs, OMG, sooo good.
    I cook and eat a duck once every couple of weeks or so... it renders plenty of fat extra for cooking.
    I LOVE duck fat.

I haven't done a goose in a while... I's love to get my hands on one though.
    LOTSA lovely fat there!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    I'm going to try this once I have some money. It might even override my short term desire for a blood ketone monitor
    I get Great Lakes Kosher Beef Gelatin from the company. It is the only pasture raised source I have found. You do also get gelatin from the homemade bone broth. If you cook the bones long enough with a splash of ACV you can freeze it in cubes and use it for cooking. Way cheaper than the granules.

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I get Great Lakes Kosher Beef Gelatin from the company. It is the only pasture raised source I have found. You do also get gelatin from the homemade bone broth. If you cook the bones long enough with a splash of ACV you can freeze it in cubes and use it for cooking. Way cheaper than the granules.
    I have been making chicken stock from the carcass since going primal. I cook it in a slow cooker for 24hrs. Each carcass makes approx 3.5 quarts of stock & I have an 1/8th a day. Not sure how much gelatine this would equal (I have noticed my nails growing stronger though) but I guess I need a lot more for it to make any difference to sagging skin.

If I made it from beef bones any idea how much would be the same as taking 1 tbsp of granules?

The only bulk gelatine I can find here in the UK is NOW FOOD beef & chicken but its expensive & I cant find any thing that tells me how many tbsp you get in a lb so its a bit difficult to work out how long 5lb would last.

Still, will put it on my ever-growing list.

PS what is ACV please? I keep seeing it mentioned but have no idea what it is.

sigzephyr is offline Senior Member
    I take 3 gelatin capsules a day. They are very cheap. I get these ones on iherb.
    21st Century Health Care, Gelatin, 600 mg, 100 Capsules - iHerb.com

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Good Morning NK Gang! You have all been busy on the recipe front. If only I liked to cook.

FF Report

Wt. 228.6 New Low! (By .2 lbs)
    BF% Down by .2 as well

FBS 109 (Still too high)

Ketostix - Trace

Well, this FF was not wholly successful due to user error. Mon and Wed were good FF days, Tuesday I had a binge and last night I wasn't feeling well. My husband made a beautiful dinner and made me a plate, so I ended up eating way too much un weighed protein and about 1800 cals. (All Primal) I cry "Uncle".

My body really craved protein during FF. I wonder if one could use a protein powder to hit min protein needs and then add fat to 90%. I may try that if I do it again.

New Macros Based on Dr Ede's experiment using Dr. Seyfried's cancer work, I have worked out the following plan.

1600 cals (10% below BMR)
    60g protein (Based on goal wt. in kg x .8)
    20g carb (gross)
    142g Fat (80%-because that is what my body likes.)
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-22-2013 at 03:19 AM.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sigzephyr View Post
    I take 3 gelatin capsules a day. They are very cheap. I get these ones on iherb.
    21st Century Health Care, Gelatin, 600 mg, 100 Capsules - iHerb.com
    Thanks for the info but I would have to take 48 to = 1 tablespoon so maybe not so cheap. Anyway, one thing I’ve learn with PB – it’s better to take the real thing rather than processed supplements

(I’m not against supplements it just depends what for.

NB I used to take green tea extract in supplement form because although I drink green tea I do not like it stewed for the recommended 3min (I prefer in & out if you know what I mean). Then I realised that the amount of anti oxidants I was actually getting from the supplement was actually less than my 5 cups of weak tea)

That is also why I take 1TBL of unflavored gelatin twice a day, for the collagen. That packs in around 7 grams of protein each TBL. but if it helps the saggy, loose skin I'll just have to work around the extra protein.
    Just a thought, I assume you are taking 1tblsp of dry granules then mixing it with water, right?

It's sure worth a try but it might take several months and the 7 grams of protein per Tablespoon can make LCHF difficult.
    Re protein – not eating a piece of meat is a small price to pay for being HSIS (if only……)