Page 158 of 281 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208258 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 2806

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 158

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by epicuriousbynature View Post
    I make gravy! I make LCHF gravy all the time and a little added bacon fat is a good thing in my book.
    Can you tell me what you use in your gravy for the thickener? Obviously not wheat flour..........
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    I haven't considered the fact that last time I was 135 my heaviest weight to that point had been 155. NOW, my heaviest was 216 - so taking into consideration the extra skin that needs to tighten - maybe you are closer to the correct goal weight than I am. I will assess things when I get there I guess. If I still look saggy and flabby at 135 I will definitely continue to work towards lean and mean! I am 52 though - so tight skin is not likely to happen! I'll be happy with looking good in tight jeans! I rarely wear anything shorter than capris so I'm not even working toward having nice summer shorts legs! and if I don't look good in a one peice bathing suit - I really don't care! Maybe I should look into the gelatin thing too!
    It's sure worth a try but it might take several months and the 7 grams of protein per Tablespoon can make LCHF difficult.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    do you take the gelatin in capsule form or is there another way?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member

I don't think I have any specific recipes, but I like to add a dollop in as one of the fats whenever I make gravy! I make LCHF gravy all the time and a little added bacon fat is a good thing in my book.
    I am also interested in what you use as a thickener. I usually use tapioca starch and spread out over a recipe the carb content isn't bad, but I'm sure there's a better way.

How "primal" is Xantham Gum? I saw that endorced on the Fat Fast Cookbook site.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

epicuriousbynature is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Would you tell us about the gravy you make?
    Absolutely!!! Granted, I don't measure anything, but it's super easy. Mostly I make brown mushroom gravy and chicken gravy. Those are two staples. I like to broil hamburger patties in the oven on a sheetpan, usually 6 at a time and use the drippings after they're cooked. Same thing with a pot roast or the cans of beef tips, I use the fat and broth in the can. With chicken, exact same thing, broiled and use the drippings, haven't used the water in the canned type though.

I use both Guar Gum or Xantham Gum, I don't have a preference, I have a bag of each and use which ever I grab first.
    I also use several different types of Better Than Boullion, chicken, beef and mushroom are what I keep on hand all the time. I like a rich gravy, so I always add it.

Drippings in a skillet or saucepan (if your adding in mushrooms or onions, sautee them in the dripping with additional butter/grease
    Add enough water and Boullion in the saucepan like you're making stock... (I NEVER measure, but the jar has directions) bring it to a full simmer. Once it's simmering, slowly whisk in the Xantham Gum or Guar Gum. Personally, I cut off a tiny bit of the corner of the bag and just kind of let the air push out little bits at a time. Whisk whisk whisk on simmer and it'll start to thicken almost immediately.... if you add to much, add a little water. Add any spices you like, I always add salt, pepper and garlic. Be careful with the salt though... you won't need it if your drippings are seasoned from the meat or you are not a big salt craver. I literally crave salt, so I usually end up adding a little bit.

Once it cools down, it gets a bit gelatenous, but can easily be reheated. It won't get the exact smooth texture unless you heat it and whisk it again.

I make both ground beef and the canned beef this way... cook the meat, make the gravy in the same pan and top it with some goat cheese! Yummo!

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    do you take the gelatin in capsule form or is there another way?
    I take it in "granules" like nearly powdered. I buy it in 5 lb sacks from NOW at Amazon. Buying the boxes of Knox are just way too expensive.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 02-21-2013 at 02:41 PM.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of fat, if you want something just out-of-this-world delish, try org duck fat.
    I buy it here Amazon.com: duck fat organic
    It is expensive but it's a good size jar and you use just a little .. Scrambled or fried eggs, OMG, sooo good.

Absolutely!!! Granted, I don't measure anything, but it's super easy. Mostly I make brown mushroom gravy and chicken gravy. Those are two staples. I like to broil hamburger patties in the oven on a sheetpan, usually 6 at a time and use the drippings after they're cooked. Same thing with a pot roast or the cans of beef tips, I use the fat and broth in the can. With chicken, exact same thing, broiled and use the drippings, haven't used the water in the canned type though.

I use both Guar Gum or Xantham Gum, I don't have a preference, I have a bag of each and use which ever I grab first.
    I also use several different types of Better Than Boullion, chicken, beef and mushroom are what I keep on hand all the time. I like a rich gravy, so I always add it.

Drippings in a skillet or saucepan (if your adding in mushrooms or onions, sautee them in the dripping with additional butter/grease
    Add enough water and Boullion in the saucepan like you're making stock... (I NEVER measure, but the jar has directions) bring it to a full simmer. Once it's simmering, slowly whisk in the Xantham Gum or Guar Gum. Personally, I cut off a tiny bit of the corner of the bag and just kind of let the air push out little bits at a time. Whisk whisk whisk on simmer and it'll start to thicken almost immediately.... if you add to much, add a little water. Add any spices you like, I always add salt, pepper and garlic. Be careful with the salt though... you won't need it if your drippings are seasoned from the meat or you are not a big salt craver. I literally crave salt, so I usually end up adding a little bit.

Once it cools down, it gets a bit gelatenous, but can easily be reheated. It won't get the exact smooth texture unless you heat it and whisk it again.

I make both ground beef and the canned beef this way... cook the meat, make the gravy in the same pan and top it with some goat cheese! Yummo!
    This sounds great and easy. Can the Better than Boullion be bought at regular grocery stores?

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I am also interested in what you use as a thickener. I usually use tapioca starch and spread out over a recipe the carb content isn't bad, but I'm sure there's a better way.

How "primal" is Xantham Gum? I saw that endorced on the Fat Fast Cookbook site.
    The Xantham and Guar Gum is what I use as the thickener, one at a time, not both. I recall when I first started using them, the fiber content or each counter balances the carb count. I'll double check my packages. I use Bobs Red Mill brand for both of them. I originally bought both in case I thought one tasted weird and a little bit goes a long way, so it takes a while to use up. They can be used in anything you want to thicken.

Honestly I haven't thought about the primal part. It's in a lot of things you wouldn't think though, like toothpaste and salad dressings. I'm not fully primal, so I don't follow it to a T. I think I'll research that a bit more now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    This sounds great and easy. Can the Better than Boullion be bought at regular grocery stores?
    It takes me abotu 2 minutes to make!!! Super easy and yummy! My boyfriend thinks I make the best gravy he's ever had! He requests the burger patties and gravy often.

Yes, you can buy chicken and beef at costco in larger jars. In the grocery store, it's usually on a top shelf in a glass jar.... We have it in our regular grocery stores around here and the natural stores too. Here's the website, just so you know what the jar looks like. Superior Touch