Page 155 of 282 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205255 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 155

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    I found this BF% calculator which is supposedly used by the US Navy so I guess it ought to be fairly accurate.

Body Fat Percentage - Free Body Fat Percentage Calculator

Unfortunately when I put my measurements in (waist, hips, neck & height) I got 33.79% If only!!!
    That figures I think my true B% is nearer 40.3% so it would be approx 7% out but on the low side
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I have a spreadsheet I found online that calculates BF% by Army standards. I checked my Army BF% and compared it to the Navy BF% posted above. There was nearly a 10% difference, with the Army being more favorable. The biggest difference I noticed is that the Army uses wrist and forearm measurements as well as hips and neck to determine FRAME (small, medium, large) and then calculates body fat based off of that. The forearm and wrist measurements are what determine the body frame size.

This one is accurate per the spreadsheet I have. This form is used by an ROTC program at the University of Delaware... Make sure you pick the correct form though. At the bottom of the page, there are tabs. Make sure you selected male or female as appopriate. Save it to your computer and you'll never have to google it again.
    Ok when I first posted earlier I estimated my neck measurement & it was too small

so using the navy calculator (with correct measurements) my BF% is 31.66
    using the army calculator that jenn has provided my BF% is 31.49

my body fat monitor (which pretty much matches the BF% machine at the local gym) shows 40.3%

All great fun but I wish I hadn't started this now cause I now want a DEX scan (the cost of 3mths worth of blood ketone strips pales into insignificance at this point) wheras before I was happy just to see the number going down

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Ok when I first posted earlier I estimated my neck measurement & it was too small

my body fat monitor (which pretty much matches the BF% machine at the local gym) shows 40.3%

All great fun but I wish I hadn't started this now cause I now want a DEX scan (the cost of 3mths worth of blood ketone strips pales into insignificance at this point) wheras before I was happy just to see the number going down
    w0rd!!

I so want a DEXA scan!! (Because I don't like "estimation"... I like hard proven facts!)
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

TooSteep is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mks8500 View Post
    I'm a little late with my response, but I'm also measuring with the blood ketone monitor. You're getting some GREAT numbers compared to what I have. I've found the biggest difference so far is keeping my fat higher than my protein and keeping my protein under about 80. I haven't experimented yet with lowering the protein significantly but have raised my fat without effecting my carbs much (under 22g) and my numbers are going up. I'm testing first thing in the morning...what about you? Feel free to PM me. This is working for me so I'm just trying to fine tune. 3.2 is AWESOME! The highest I've been is 1.3 this morning when I measured after a run.

Megan
    Hello again:

I've been testing at different times. 8:00 am, 4:00 pm and 9:00 pm. I'll chart these 3 over time and see if there is a pattern. More cost effective than testing multiple times per day.

My levels kept dropping through Monday (day 24 on the HFLC diet) when they bottomed out at 0.4! And that was with no change in my diet from the previous 2.2+ readings. I did drop my protein levels and increase my fat since Monday, and the levels have gone back up: 1.7 on Tuesday, and 3.0 yesterday. That was, in my mind, an unexpected and unexplained drop.

why is it that when i do multiple quotes in a post, having saved the post the multiple quotes are still ticked. This is p***** me off as I have to go back and find them all and cancel the ticks. There must be an easier way!

(sorry vent over but if anyone has the answer i would love to know)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    Hello again:

I've been testing at different times. 8:00 am, 4:00 pm and 9:00 pm. I'll chart these 3 over time and see if there is a pattern. More cost effective than testing multiple times per day.

My levels kept dropping through Monday (day 24 on the HFLC diet) when they bottomed out at 0.4! And that was with no change in my diet from the previous 2.2+ readings. I did drop my protein levels and increase my fat since Monday, and the levels have gone back up: 1.7 on Tuesday, and 3.0 yesterday. That was, in my mind, an unexpected and unexplained drop.
    your experiment sounds interesting. Can I ask what your protein grams & fat % was when your levels went back up. These numbers seem to be the key

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    w0rd!!

I so want a DEXA scan!! (Because I don't like "estimation"... I like hard proven facts!)
    My husband joined a research study (I can't remember what for, but it was through his Wellness Center) and he got a free DEXA scan as part of the data they needed. If you have a University in your area you might check and see what kinds of studies they are conducting. The only other thing I know he had to do was a 20 page food survey, which I ended up filling out because he doesn't really know what I put in most of his food. It probably had to do with some sort of work out regime but he works out every day anyway so I didn't see any change there.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    why is it that when i do multiple quotes in a post, having saved the post the multiple quotes are still ticked. This is p***** me off as I have to go back and find them all and cancel the ticks. There must be an easier way!

(sorry vent over but if anyone has the answer i would love to know)
    Idk why this is happening for you. I've never had that problem.

If you just pick one method and stick with it, you'll see a downward trend. The actual number doesn't matter too much as long as you can focus on the trend.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Quote Originally Posted by pamola10 View Post
    Hi, Pebbles67.

There was an article on NPR recently about how a calorie isn't just a calorie: Calorie Counts: Fatally Flawed, Or Our Best Defense Against Pudge? : The Salt : NPR

Apparently there are many factors beyond protein, fat, or carb that influence the actually calories available to the body. I guess we all probably knew intuitively but now science is catching up.
    I loved the video on this link - another reason to eat primal

If you just pick one method and stick with it, you'll see a downward trend. The actual number doesn't matter too much as long as you can focus on the trend.
    31 sounds so must better than 40 don't you think?

I'm going to do all 3 out to interested when I measure once a month & use the monitor when I weigh weekly. Hopefully the difference will be similar on both.

Thanks for the spreadsheet by the way. I had to laugh though that they had to translate 1/4 = 0.25 etc

epicuriousbynature is offline Junior Member
    Hello, to all!

I'm new to the forum but LCHF is the norm for me!!! I've been following a ketogenic diet for a few years, sometimes a bit loosely and sometimes feeling the need to be very aggressive for a while, now being one of those times.

I started reading through this thread and was excited to see others with the same frame of mind. I struggle with the lifestyle, mostly due to others and their ugly words about how bad it is for me, so I generally have to keep to myself about it. Just an hour ago, I was in the break room at work filling up my coffee and one of the gals mentioned how yummy it looked and it must be unhealthy. (I drink my coffee and tea in large Mason jar type glass, with heavy cream) I mentioned that it's not, but also that it depends on what your idea of healthy is and we chatted about it a little bit. I could tell she didn't agree with me, but it wasn't an ugly situation. She did say as long as my tests were all good, that's what mattered and I agreed with her!

Anywho.... I'm excited to have found this blog/forum and hope to be able to join in the camaraderie!