Page 150 of 281 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160200250 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 2808

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 150

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I'm within just a few pounds (actually 4 or 5) of my goal and I've hit a wall, up a little, down a little. I'd like to try Low Carb High Fat but I want to avoid all the tracking, figuring and percentages because it would fire up my obsessive nature and before long I'd be measuring and weighing all the time. I've lost 121 lbs over the last 2 years on Primal and I wondered if there would be any success in just randomly upping my fats while lowering my protein. The figures I do know are that I'm 5" 4", weigh 123 lbs., I need 1144 calories to lose weight and about 71 to 149 grams or 16 oz. of protein a day. That last seems like a huge spread. This last was from a chart posted by someone on this thread a day or two ago.
    I think you could start with the formula from the first page of this thread, which is essentially your goal weight in kg (google "convert pounds to kg") then that number is the number of grams of protein you need, half that number is the number of carbs you need, and twice the protein number is the number of fat grams you need. The carb and protein numbers are upper limits, fat the lower limit.

Then if that doesn't create fat loss, after you have given your body a chance to adjust, you can tweak from there.

There are people on this thread who do this without tracking for the same reason you give. I would not be able to do it without tracking. You could try tracking for a day or two to get a feel for the food ratios, then go from there without tracking, unless you feel like you could do it without.

p.s. congrats on your loss so far!

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I think you could start with the formula from the first page of this thread, which is essentially your goal weight in kg (google "convert pounds to kg") then that number is the number of grams of protein you need, half that number is the number of carbs you need, and twice the protein number is the number of fat grams you need. The carb and protein numbers are upper limits, fat the lower limit.

Then if that doesn't create fat loss, after you have given your body a chance to adjust, you can tweak from there.

There are people on this thread who do this without tracking for the same reason you give. I would not be able to do it without tracking. You could try tracking for a day or two to get a feel for the food ratios, then go from there without tracking, unless you feel like you could do it without.

p.s. congrats on your loss so far!
    Thanks. Tracking for a couple of days can't hurt and I would get a feel for amounts and ratios.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    I'm 5" 4", weigh 123 lbs.
    Rosemary - At 5'4" and 123 pounds! I'd say you're AT goal weight! Congrats on the 121 pounds lost! that is totally awesome!

I'm also 5'4" and my goal is 135! But I have a medium build and thats where I look healthy. Maybe you're small boned and need to get down there - either way........... at this point whats 4-5 pounds!

I say don't sweat it......... love yourself exactly the way you are - and if your body set point is 118 then it will naturally get there.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I'm within just a few pounds (actually 4 or 5) of my goal and I've hit a wall, up a little, down a little. I'd like to try Low Carb High Fat but I want to avoid all the tracking, figuring and percentages because it would fire up my obsessive nature and before long I'd be measuring and weighing all the time. I've lost 121 lbs over the last 2 years on Primal and I wondered if there would be any success in just randomly upping my fats while lowering my protein. The figures I do know are that I'm 5" 4", weigh 123 lbs., I need 1144 calories to lose weight and about 71 to 149 grams or 16 oz. of protein a day. That last seems like a huge spread. This last was from a chart posted by someone on this thread a day or two ago.
    The protein level should only change based on activity. You should only be eating 149 if you are a weight lifting athlete. See my post from this morning.
    123 = 56 kg, 56kg x .8 = 45 grams of Protein as a base. If you exercise, then anywhere between .8 and 1.5 would be appropriate (84 grams). I would only go above 1.5 if you are an extreme exerciser with 2.5 being the absolute max (140 grams).

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Rosemary - At 5'4" and 123 pounds! I'd say you're AT goal weight! Congrats on the 121 pounds lost! that is totally awesome!

I'm also 5'4" and my goal is 135! But I have a medium build and thats where I look healthy. Maybe you're small boned and need to get down there - either way........... at this point whats 4-5 pounds!

I say don't sweat it......... love yourself exactly the way you are - and if your body set point is 118 then it will naturally get there.
    Thank you, I've done this 3 times in my adult life, once a gastric bypass, once a type of portion control and now Primal. Primal has been the easiest by far and a way of life I could easily live with. Trying to reach 120 (I'm pretty sure I'm medium boned) because I have so much loose skin. I figure if there is any residual fat left in the skin in won't be inclined to tighten up as well. That is also why I take 1TBL of unflavored gelatin twice a day, for the collagen. That packs in around 7 grams of protein each TBL. but if it helps the saggy, loose skin I'll just have to work around the extra protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    The protein level should only change based on activity. You should only be eating 149 if you are a weight lifting athlete. See my post from this morning.
    123 = 56 kg, 56kg x .8 = 45 grams of Protein as a base. If you exercise, then anywhere between .8 and 1.5 would be appropriate (84 grams). I would only go above 1.5 if you are an extreme exerciser with 2.5 being the absolute max (140 grams).
    Not an extreme exerciser I work at a desk. A broken thigh bone kept me in a wheel chair for about a year. It's mended now so I plan to start walking.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Not an extreme exerciser I work at a desk. A broken thigh bone kept me in a wheel chair for about a year. It's mended now so I plan to start walking.
    Well, in that case, I would stick to protein between 46 and 56 grams.
    FYI, If you figure your macros based on the first page formula, You get 56 grams of protein, 28 grams of carb and 112 grams of fat for a total of 1344 calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Well, in that case, I would stick to protein between 46 and 56 grams.
    FYI, If you figure your macros based on the first page formula, You get 56 grams of protein, 28 grams of carb and 112 grams of fat for a total of 1344 calories.
    Thanks for doing the "head work".

mks8500 is offline Member
    According to my macros, I should aim for around 36 carbs per day. My new realization? 30g of carbs effectively drops me out of ketosis. Point taken, note joted. I figured it out last night and this morning after having too many nuts and cabbage yesterday. I wanted to know and wondered and since I was so low anyway I figured no time like the present to figure it out.

Megan

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Wow. that's not cool. Are you sure your protein isn't the culprit?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)