Page 14 of 281 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 14

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    FYI, If you are burning 2000 cals / day, you may be able to eat more than 1200 if you want/need to. 1400-1600 cals would be
    a good 20-30% below your burn. Good Luck!
    Ok thanks- very good to know. My BMR came to 1397, and with the excersise formula, since I'm active, I multiplied by 1.5. Which gave me the 2000. I wonder- will eating less than 1400-1600 make weight loss slower? Is there truth to "starvation mode?" Don't want to sabatoge myself!

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aimlow View Post
    Ok thanks- very good to know. My BMR came to 1397, and with the excersise formula, since I'm active, I multiplied by 1.5. Which gave me the 2000. I wonder- will eating less than 1400-1600 make weight loss slower? Is there truth to "starvation mode?" Don't want to sabatoge myself!
    For me there is, but others on here ignore bmr plus activity, stick to 1200 and do fine. This is where self experimentation comes in.
    I would start at 1600 and go lower if you don't see results.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I suggest you find your BMR from the link in the first post, then multiply that by your Harris Benedict Activity formula. That will give you your daily caloric needs. Aim for 20% below that. I can help if you need it.

Then you set custom goals on MFP based on what you are trying to do not what MFP dictates.
    BMR was 2,143 so would taking down the calories to 1,643 (500 calorie reduction) be sufficient?

It seems like there is no easy way to tweak MFP when it comes to implimenting my own goals? Or is this just user error? To get my carbs (carbs were still off by a bit, but going off of the lower end is okay) and protein where they needed to be I ended up having to bump my fat intake up to 80% (which might not be a bad thing)

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Don't rely too much on mfp's macro goals, they change when you input exersize. I don't go up on my carbs as fast as it does, that is with more exersize I up my fat more and my protein some too, but not as much as it does.

On the computer version, not the app, you can set your macros by percentage. Have mine at 70-20-10, but I don't eat quite 10% net carbs. And I go by net carbs, so I have it show my fiber intake on the food tracking screen as well.

I actually took a screenshot on my phone of my goals and referenced it for a while until I had it memorized.
    Last edited by AshleyL; 02-02-2013 at 06:24 AM.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    MFP goal setting is not as precise as we would like it to be, and as Ashley says MFP will increase them with exercise.

For me to figure out my total caloric goal, I skipped the whole BMR equation and just went with the idea that my HSIS is 160lbs.

Using that I figured out what my protein/fat/carb intake should be. Then I did the multiplication (4x's protein, 4x's carb, 9x's fat) and add those number together. From there a pinch of tweaking after allowing for my body to adjust to the new plan.

If you hit your macros, by definition, you will come in under your calories (with a touch of rounding error from MFP).

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Okay. I keep lurking and asking dumb questions but never jump fully on board. I have gained and lost the same 2lbs for the last 3 weeks. I have this week been following a PHD plan with calories at or around 1500 which according to every calculator I find should be right. I haven't looked at macros, just eaten what PHD recommends though not as much as they recommend because that is waaayyy too much. I lost about 30 lbs on low carb but can't seem to get back on track. I need to be accountable! Can I join the cool girls please??? I need help!
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    Okay. I keep lurking and asking dumb questions but never jump fully on board. I have gained and lost the same 2lbs for the last 3 weeks. I have this week been following a PHD plan with calories at or around 1500 which according to every calculator I find should be right. I haven't looked at macros, just eaten what PHD recommends though not as much as they recommend because that is waaayyy too much. I lost about 30 lbs on low carb but can't seem to get back on track. I need to be accountable! Can I join the cool girls please??? I need help!
    Hop on in! We aren't just girls, though. I know we have some great men here, too.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Hop on in! We aren't just girls, though. I know we have some great men here, too.
    oops! Sorry guys! I know y'all are cool too

Here are my daily breakdowns according to the formulas. I am not sure how I am going to get that much fat without adding calories but willing to give it a try. I don't want to clutter up the forum but it would help me if I could post my food/exercise daily for a couple of weeks to make sure I am on the right track. Is that okay? Thanks all for having such a great support structure.

HSIS (120 lbs) 54.5 Kilos
    proteins 49.05-59.95
    carbs 27.25
    fats 190.75
    calories (per BMR) 1500
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    Here are my daily breakdowns according to the formulas. I am not sure how I am going to get that much fat without adding calories but willing to give it a try. I don't want to clutter up the forum but it would help me if I could post my food/exercise daily for a couple of weeks to make sure I am on the right track. Is that okay? Thanks all for having such a great support structure.

HSIS (120 lbs) 54.5 Kilos
    proteins 49.05-59.95
    carbs 27.25
    fats 190.75
    calories (per BMR) 1500
    I think your fat is a bit high, at a 54kg of goal weight, I would round to 54g of protein, 27g of carbs, and 108g of fat, which would give you about 1300 calories.

p.s. many of us track on MyFitnessPal, which is free, you could track on there and friend us (mine user name is the same) and we could check on your days from there. For me it is easier to see what to suggest if I can see the macros with each food as it appears in MFP
    Last edited by demuralist; 02-02-2013 at 07:29 AM. Reason: add p.s.

Mmm had a slice of fat bread grilled with 3 strips of bacon and two eggs scrambled in some of the bacon grease. Also had a cup of choffy with half & half...choffy is my new favorite thing. Less caffine than coffee and a wonderful deep chocolate flavor. Down another lb at 176 this morning.