Page 137 of 282 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187237 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 137

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post

HOW DOES HE EXIST?

10 years old, 55lbs.
    That was my son. He graduated high school 6', 130 lbs. He weighs more now but he really works at it- both in the eating and workout arena.

And my daughter, 22, 5'5 and 95lbs including clothes. All through school everyone thought she had an eating disorder. Teachers would give her giant candy bars that she sat in class and ate.

All of my children can/do out eat me.

Congrats on the weight loss!

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    That was my son. He graduated high school 6', 130 lbs. He weighs more now but he really works at it- both in the eating and workout arena.

And my daughter, 22, 5'5 and 95lbs including clothes. All through school everyone thought she had an eating disorder. Teachers would give her giant candy bars that she sat in class and ate.

All of my children can/do out eat me.

Congrats on the weight loss!
    Thanks!

Wow, so you too with your kids, gah!

I *LOVE* to feed things, and they have been killing
    me since BIRTH, so, well, I overfeed my animals instead.

Not to the point of corpulence, but if they're hungry, then
    by all means mama is gonna feed you!

I get my heavy cream from costco and there's zero sugar in it,
    just 100% fat.

Weird.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    Hello all:

I am perplexed. I read "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance' a few weeks back, and was very intrigued by the prospects of changing my metabolism, so I embarked on a HFLC diet on Sat Jan 26. Today is day 23.

Here's what has me perplexed: I have been using a Precision Ultra blood meter to test my ketones daily. Last week from Saturday to Wednesday, I was at 2.1, 2.5, 3.4, 2.5 and 3.2 (some variation in time of day). Suddenly with no change in my diet (I've been logging and eating very similar foods), it dropped to 1.4 on Thursday and Friday, and 0.8 yesterday and today! And yes, I feel particularly weak and tired, since I haven't eaten any carbs.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? Is this part of the keto-adaptation process? I still have not had the 'aha' moment that others report, even over the time when I was consistently measuring 2.2+. I.e., I haven't felt any positive changes yet, and still suffer from hunger and poor sports performance. The drop in blood ketones is quite surprising to me, since my diet had been 'ketogenic' and it was easy to stay on path I was on, knowing that it might take up to 5 weeks to have an impact. But now I don't even appear to be in ketosis???

Ideas?
    I understand NK to be between .5 and 5.0 so your numbers are still within that range. Unfortunately, Only one of us currently has a ketone meter.
    Make sure you are well hydrated and that you are boosting your electrolytes with bouillon, or salted broth to offset exhaustion.
    Could you tell us your macros, current stats and goals? We may have more input then.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks!

just 100% fat.

Weird.
    This is an American labeling law issue.

If there is .5 gram per serving or less they can call it zero!
    So... there could be .45 grams per Tbs. So... ALMOST 1g per 2Tbs... see.
    For HWC it is about 1 carb per liquid oz. But that reads on labels as 0 per Tbs.

It's a labeling loophole.
    Lots of "low carb" processed products use/used this labeling loophole by having small portions with "zero carbs" when in reality each portion has about .5 carb and they can add up quickly.

Look at nutritiondata... there is some minimal sugars/carbs in HWC, those are from lactose. And some people are sensitive enough to be affected by those.
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Cream, fluid, heavy whipping
    Last edited by cori93437; 02-17-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Brian Nametko is offline Junior Member
    I heard that a high content in fat from such items as mixed nuts, avacado and coconut is actually great for the body as long as nothing is processed. I'm assuming that when you suggest to eat more fat, that you're not including any hyrdogenated-oil based food products right?

Thanks!

Brian Nametko
    Brian Nametko - Seeking Alpha

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nametko View Post
    I heard that a high content in fat from such items as mixed nuts, avacado and coconut is actually great for the body as long as nothing is processed. I'm assuming that when you suggest to eat more fat, that you're not including any hyrdogenated-oil based food products right?

Thanks!

Brian Nametko
    Brian Nametko - Seeking Alpha
    Holy cow... Hydrogenated! Nooooooooooooo!

Yes you are absolutely right.
    Natural healthy fats ONLY please!
    From meats, nuts, fruits, and the like.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

TooSteep is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I understand NK to be between .5 and 5.0 so your numbers are still within that range. Unfortunately, Only one of us currently has a ketone meter.
    Make sure you are well hydrated and that you are boosting your electrolytes with bouillon, or salted broth to offset exhaustion.
    Could you tell us your macros, current stats and goals? We may have more input then.
    I have had salted broth the last 3 days, but I do think that salt-wasting has been a bit of an issue. I haven't tracked macro-nutrients in micro-detail. I've been trying to limit my carbs to no more than 30 g/day (mostly from nuts, kefir and heavy cream - I've had no grains, root vegetables, fruit, sugar or wheat) and my best-guess is that I'm eating 70-90g of protein a day. I'm a 170lb 6'0" male. My goal is to experience the neurological metabolic change of prolonged ketosis - i.e. to switch my brain to ketone-burning from glucose-burning. I have no weight-loss objective, so it seems to me that testing blood-ketones is my best bet for monitoring 'progress'.

The only reference I've found to a drop in levels is on Andreas Eenfeldt's blog at Experiment: Optimal Ketosis for Weight Loss and Improved Performance | DietDoctor.com. For now, I'll just wait it out. I wonder if Dr's Phinney and Volek frequent any forums?

Follow up: I have just discovered a blog, diagnosisdiet.com, whose author is an MD that is currently undertaking a ketogenic diet! She appears to have a large number of expert followers who post on her blog. Some folks here may be interested: http://diagnosisdiet.com/ketosis-week-2/
    Last edited by TooSteep; 02-17-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I think that is a good plan. Sorry we could not be more helpful.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Thanks!

just 100% fat.

Weird.
    Really weird cause my heavy cream from Costco says 1g of carb/sugar.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, Cori, you are right, I knew that (not being a know it all, just saying).

But half a gram per 15g is better than one gram I guess.

That's really weird Demuralist!

My brand is Producer's Dairy.

What's in the ingredients? Something funky?