Page 136 of 282 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 136

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't know how exactly. I do know if you read the label there is sugar in whole milk (lactose) and not in heavy cream. It is why people who are lactose intolerant can have milk (or butter) but not milk. The less fat in milk the more lactose too.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    I don't know how exactly. I do know if you read the label there is sugar in whole milk (lactose) and not in heavy cream. It is why people who are lactose intolerant can have milk (or butter) but not milk. The less fat in milk the more lactose too.
    How very interesting. I went and checked my labels and you are absolutely correct. Maybe it is time to make the switch to tea only. I can drink that with nothing in it.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    I am curious how whole milk can have sugar but heavy cream doesn't. I know they come out of the same faucet. Enlighten me, please.
    HWC is the natural milk fat part removed from the sugary watery milk part.

And why "skim" milk tastes like watery awful azzzzz. Because that's what it means... "skim" means ALL the fat has been skimmed out of it. Blehhhhh. So gross.

Then you could take the cream(milk fat) and beat the heck out of it until it sticks together and any residual wateriness comes out if it... and you would have butter. Magic!

There is a very small amount of lactose in HWC and in butter... but it's small enough that it doesn't affect most people that are lactose intolerant. But some who are very sensitive are affected.
    Last edited by cori93437; 02-17-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Oddly enough, I can do butter, but not HWC. Don't know what to say...

TooSteep is offline Junior Member
    Hello all:

I am perplexed. I read "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance' a few weeks back, and was very intrigued by the prospects of changing my metabolism, so I embarked on a HFLC diet on Sat Jan 26. Today is day 23.

Here's what has me perplexed: I have been using a Precision Ultra blood meter to test my ketones daily. Last week from Saturday to Wednesday, I was at 2.1, 2.5, 3.4, 2.5 and 3.2 (some variation in time of day). Suddenly with no change in my diet (I've been logging and eating very similar foods), it dropped to 1.4 on Thursday and Friday, and 0.8 yesterday and today! And yes, I feel particularly weak and tired, since I haven't eaten any carbs.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? Is this part of the keto-adaptation process? I still have not had the 'aha' moment that others report, even over the time when I was consistently measuring 2.2+. I.e., I haven't felt any positive changes yet, and still suffer from hunger and poor sports performance. The drop in blood ketones is quite surprising to me, since my diet had been 'ketogenic' and it was easy to stay on path I was on, knowing that it might take up to 5 weeks to have an impact. But now I don't even appear to be in ketosis???

Ideas?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    Butter has less lactose than HWC, because quite a bit of the watery stuff has been beaten out of it in the churning process.

If you take 2 cups of HWC and beat it into butter you get about 1/3 or so cup of 'buttermilk' containing the lactose out of it when you are done.

So.. MUCH less lactose in butter.
    Very explainable.
    That's why HWC is liquid and butter is solid, and HWC is less calorically dense.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    I am still in moderate ketosis..how do i go deeper and do i need to?
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Karin, if you are continuing to lose weight and feel good, then I would argue that you don't need to go deeper. Just me 2 cents.

I don't know to go deeper.... I have heard (but don't know this) that dairy is a problem for some (not that you seem to be having all that much). Or, it could be a drop of 1-2 g of protein per day. Not sure, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    Maybe you should check your labels, cause the cream I get from costco has a sugar per tablespoon but the brand I got from Kroger didn't. So maybe you could find a brand that was a higher percentage of fat and thus even less lactose. Or...maybe it is something besides the lactose?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    Hello all:

I am perplexed. I read "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance' a few weeks back, and was very intrigued by the prospects of changing my metabolism, so I embarked on a HFLC diet on Sat Jan 26. Today is day 23.

Here's what has me perplexed: I have been using a Precision Ultra blood meter to test my ketones daily. Last week from Saturday to Wednesday, I was at 2.1, 2.5, 3.4, 2.5 and 3.2 (some variation in time of day). Suddenly with no change in my diet (I've been logging and eating very similar foods), it dropped to 1.4 on Thursday and Friday, and 0.8 yesterday and today! And yes, I feel particularly weak and tired, since I haven't eaten any carbs.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? Is this part of the keto-adaptation process? I still have not had the 'aha' moment that others report, even over the time when I was consistently measuring 2.2+. I.e., I haven't felt any positive changes yet, and still suffer from hunger and poor sports performance. The drop in blood ketones is quite surprising to me, since my diet had been 'ketogenic' and it was easy to stay on path I was on, knowing that it might take up to 5 weeks to have an impact. But now I don't even appear to be in ketosis???

Ideas?
    Not ignoring you but just don't know. You might find some additional information at the Low Carb Friends website. They have forums as well (even Primal ones) and I know they have at least one on NK, and very likely one based on the book. Maybe scanning through there will help if someone here doesn't come up with something. You could also check into Jimmy Moore's blog as he is currently doing an N=1 experiment where he checks his blood ketones twice daily and sometime gets comments from some knowledgeable people about his fluctuations.