Page 131 of 282 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 131

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ken, I have been getting headaches too, and I notice it is the worst when in deep ketosis. I'm not sure why, but I have heard it is a side effect. On the other had, I am down an official 10 pounds since 2/7/13. Not sure if it's just changing to primal or EMF. Either way, I really don't care.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    The darker my ketone strips get the worse my headaches get. Thats one way to lose weight, die of stroke.any suggestions anybody? I probably need to hire a doctor to work this diet. Been hard core Paleo since New Year's Eve.
    I did a quick search and found this article. I don't know how long you've been in ketosis, but for me, it's been roughly a week.
    Hoping I start to come out of it soon. Of course, I could possibly take myself completely out of it tomorrow at this stupid social dinner. Stupid socializing. Who needs it.
    Ketosis Symptoms

pamola10 is offline Member
    This thread is both inspirational and a bit overwhelming (because I can't keep up with reading the posts). The inspiring part is that y'all have got me going as of 15 Feb. to do the VLC thing. I did a whole 21 (knew that I wouldn't do 30) in January, ending on the 28th and have been slightly off the wagon since then. So as of yesterday, new start...began tracking with MFP (I used to use FitDay but MFP has an easier interface with my phone).

I am aiming for 1200 cal; 75% fat, 20% pro, and 5% carbs but it is hard because I have a lot of beliefs about variety of veggies for quality diet. However, I managed to change my beliefs about whole grains so I can probably work with this, too. I am 57, 5' 2" and 133 pounds but the real issue isn't the fat as much as the poor condition overall. I have started yoga and bodyweight exercises but probably need to do a lot more. But for right now, I need to get adjusted to very low carb and figure out how to limit protein (somewhat) and increase fat. I don't eat dairy except clarified butter. This is too bad, because I used to find cheese a wonderfully satiating food.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration and I hope to get back to post as well as lurk and read.

I have already learned lots from this thread, and from the recipe group.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    The key for me for keeping a headache at bay was to add salt to my diet and keep my magnesium and potassium in balance. I have gotten rid of headaches by drinking salt water. Weird but it works. I use Real Salt but not sure it matters.

Down another pound yesterday but out of town for next 9-10 days so can't measure until Feb. 25.

Interestingly. I am 10 pounds from my prepregnancy weight. However, no where near the same size. Noways 10 pounds will get me into those jeans. I am guessing 30-40. Just goes to show the benefits of having muscle. My bike and I along with some weights need to become reaquainted. Off now to a day on the slopes. Happy weekend everyone.

lala70 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pamola10 View Post
    This thread is both inspirational and a bit overwhelming (because I can't keep up with reading the posts). The inspiring part is that y'all have got me going as of 15 Feb. to do the VLC thing. I did a whole 21 (knew that I wouldn't do 30) in January, ending on the 28th and have been slightly off the wagon since then. So as of yesterday, new start...began tracking with MFP (I used to use FitDay but MFP has an easier interface with my phone).

I am aiming for 1200 cal; 75% fat, 20% pro, and 5% carbs but it is hard because I have a lot of beliefs about variety of veggies for quality diet. However, I managed to change my beliefs about whole grains so I can probably work with this, too. I am 57, 5' 2" and 133 pounds but the real issue isn't the fat as much as the poor condition overall. I have started yoga and bodyweight exercises but probably need to do a lot more. But for right now, I need to get adjusted to very low carb and figure out how to limit protein (somewhat) and increase fat. I don't eat dairy except clarified butter. This is too bad, because I used to find cheese a wonderfully satiating food.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration and I hope to get back to post as well as lurk and read.

Welcome !

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pamola10 View Post

If you are not concerned with weight loss, you could easily not go as low carb and get plenty of veggies in. The last thing I tried before starting this in January was to get 10 different veggies in a day. Properly chosen that got me around 50g to 75g of carb a day. Still low, just not VLC. And if you don't do dairy it should be even easier.

Good Luck, the thread seems to be slowing to a more manageable pace so it should be less overwhelming.

Thanks for the tip, primal123. I'm not sure how to go about balancing potassium/mag? Someone suggested I take potassium citrate with some mag, but I'm not sure how much. Maybe the magnesium will help me sleep. They said another side effect of ketosis is poor sleep, and yes, I agree. This week has been hell. Of course, my work schedule has been hell too!

So, can anyone give me a direct answer as to how much of each potassium and magnesium I should take? I hate taking pills, I always forget. Humph.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    The darker my ketone strips get the worse my headaches get. Thats one way to lose weight, die of stroke.any suggestions anybody? I probably need to hire a doctor to work this diet. Been hard core Paleo since New Year's Eve.
    Bouillon, especially if you work out. Herb-Ox or Knoxx, if the ingredients put you off make bone broth with lots of salt.

I am purposely going to fast over lunch. I am having sushi at my boyfriend's restaurant tonight, and I want to make sure I am actually hungry enough to eat it! YUM! It probably really won't be sushi by technical terms. I've been asking they make it with seaweed only- no rice. The sushi chef is our very good friend, more like a brother, so he makes all the rolls different for me anyway since I am picky about fish. Actually, I HATE fish, but sushi is good. Weird, huh? Same as onions. Hate those nasty little things, but I love onion rings. Of course, I won't be eating those anymore I cook with onions, but boyfriend always cuts them for me. As soon as I peel the first layer off my eyes swell up. Just. Can't. Do. It.

Where's Julie? I miss reading her funny posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Thanks for the tip, primal123. I'm not sure how to go about balancing potassium/mag? Someone suggested I take potassium citrate with some mag, but I'm not sure how much. Maybe the magnesium will help me sleep. They said another side effect of ketosis is poor sleep, and yes, I agree. This week has been hell. Of course, my work schedule has been hell too!

So, can anyone give me a direct answer as to how much of each potassium and magnesium I should take? I hate taking pills, I always forget. Humph.
    Personally I don't supplement unless a blood test shows a deficiency, too easy to throw things off. However, I know people do, and here is a link to Dr. Attia's post "what I actually eat" and at the bottom of the page he lists his supplements and their amounts...What I actually eat The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

also, for me, this eating style has dramatically improved my sleep, by orders of magnitude! You will get there, be patient grasshopper.