Page 125 of 282 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 125

GigiLaPatate is offline Junior Member
    Hi -
    Just thought I'd introduce myself. I don't post much but have followed this thread with interest. I am experimenting with HFLC to try to help me reduce my calories and lose weight. I am 5'10" and 205lb. I have been unable to lose weight for the past while and I think it's because I just consume too many calories - always hungry - even though I eat healthy whole foods, no grains, no sugar, little fruit. The HF has reduced my carb cravings tremendously. I have been able to cut my carbs down to about 50-70 g per day but am struggling with it. I feel hungry all the time.

I am going to try to ride this out for the next couple of weeks and see if things change. This morning, for example, I had 2 eggs, homemade pork sausage patties and coffee with 1TB butter, but am feeling hungry from the lack of carbs. I think if I continue low carb for a while, I will get more used to it, as long as I dont' give up (I'm too easily discouraged by lack of results and easily swayed by different diet theories!!). I am tracking on myfitnesspal and am working on keeping my calories to about 1600.

The reason I think the calories are so important to me is that before Christmas I lost 10lb just from being sick and not being able to eat. Strangely, I did not gain back a single lb after I got better, even though I indulged a lot over the holidays. I am also down about 1 lb since going higher fat in the past week.

I know most of you are aiming for ketosis, but I'm wondering if anyone does carb refeeds and what their experience with them is? I don't think I'm ready to get my carbs much lower than they are and am a bit nervous about trying for ketosis.

Also, I wanted to mention my one big unexpected victory with going high fat - about a week ago DH and I planned a date night to go see the Hobbit. Since I love popcorn, I decided in advance to allow myself a big bag of popcorn at the movies. I even left some room for myself at dinner. But when I got to the movie theatre, my reaction to getting a popcorn was "meh" and was not even remotely tempted. It was shocking to me and very satisfying!!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiLaPatate View Post
    Hi -
    Just thought I'd introduce myself. I don't post much but have followed this thread with interest. I am experimenting with HFLC to try to help me reduce my calories and lose weight. I am 5'10" and 205lb. I have been unable to lose weight for the past while and I think it's because I just consume too many calories - always hungry - even though I eat healthy whole foods, no grains, no sugar, little fruit. The HF has reduced my carb cravings tremendously. I have been able to cut my carbs down to about 50-70 g per day but am struggling with it. I feel hungry all the time.

I am going to try to ride this out for the next couple of weeks and see if things change. This morning, for example, I had 2 eggs, homemade pork sausage patties and coffee with 1TB butter, but am feeling hungry from the lack of carbs. I think if I continue low carb for a while, I will get more used to it, as long as I dont' give up (I'm too easily discouraged by lack of results and easily swayed by different diet theories!!). I am tracking on myfitnesspal and am working on keeping my calories to about 1600.

The reason I think the calories are so important to me is that before Christmas I lost 10lb just from being sick and not being able to eat. Strangely, I did not gain back a single lb after I got better, even though I indulged a lot over the holidays. I am also down about 1 lb since going higher fat in the past week.

I know most of you are aiming for ketosis, but I'm wondering if anyone does carb refeeds and what their experience with them is? I don't think I'm ready to get my carbs much lower than they are and am a bit nervous about trying for ketosis.

Also, I wanted to mention my one big unexpected victory with going high fat - about a week ago DH and I planned a date night to go see the Hobbit. Since I love popcorn, I decided in advance to allow myself a big bag of popcorn at the movies. I even left some room for myself at dinner. But when I got to the movie theatre, my reaction to getting a popcorn was "meh" and was not even remotely tempted. It was shocking to me and very satisfying!!
    How long have you been using this method? I know when I was going through the initial shock of VLC I felt hungry ALL THE DAMN TIME! And tired. Oh was I tired. But after about 10 days it seemed to go away. I wasn't hungry all the time (just had that emotional need for munchies b/c it was a certain time of day, or whatnot) and I stopped feeling exhausted. It might just be that you legitimately need a bit more time for things to balance out.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    What exactly is the shangri-la? I have heard it here and there. What is the premis?
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    A few things...

who cares, honestly, who cares what Choco thinks, please people just let him go! (and anyone else who has nasty things to say-argue it out-if you must-in the thread you saw it in, please)

Gigi, when I first started I kept my carbs up to a higher level, was careful to keep protein in check, but was diligent about keeping the fat level up. As I got used to that I have slowly lowered my carb level. Without seeing the actual numbers on your breakfast, I am going to guess that the fat and protein are about equal (in grams) and really your fat should be double your protein in grams (give or take). Yes it will take time, but my suggestion is to make sure you are not getting too much protein and too little fat.

I suspect doing a carb-refeed is a reasonable thing to do in certain circumstances. I am going to guess that it is not good if you get into ketosis though, as I believe going in and out of ketosis can be hard on the body.

I have done VLC without the fat and it was miserable. I have done LC, with moderate fat, not miserable, but not successful. Now I am doing LC with high fat, and of the 3 it is the one that makes me feel the best and keeps my IBD in remission. If there was one correct answer we would all be skinny and diet gurus would not be rich, and Choco would not be saying nasty things to the people who disagreed with him.

Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    What exactly is the shangri-la? I have heard it here and there. What is the premis?
    it has to do with getting flavorless calories and thus fooling your body into not going into starvation mode but still losing fat. I tried it for a while-didn't work for me. you can google it, tons of info on it out there.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Karin, I don't want to high jack this thread, so I will keep it short.

Basically, you take an tasteless oil shot an hour before eating/drinking with taste or an hour after eating/drinking anything with taste. Somehow, the tasteless calories from the good oil (extra light taste olive oil, coconut oil or MCT) help squash appetite. Yes, it's weird. Yes, it sounds deranged, but it's working. This method was developed to help trick the bodies "setpoint." I use it to kill appetite for early work days. It's definitely worth looking in to. The first page or two of the shangri-la setpoint thread has the most info. Don't bother reading the whole thread unless you get really interested.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

mks8500 is offline Member
    On a thread that is normally so happy and cheerful, I'm going to do my part to make it that today. I MUST share...it's gonna get long so there's your warning.

Yesterday, I finally hit -100lb lost since I had my son almost 8 years ago. At first I was excited, then I was slightly embarrassed because it's taken 8 YEARS!!

In the last 8 years I've tried everything. I remember finding out I had PCOS and thinking I wouldn't be able to have a child. My doc suggested low carbing since it was also determined/assumed that I was insulin resistent. I did low carb (and charted, etc) and it worked and I got pregnant...not quite that quickly and easily, but you get the idea. I had the worst morning sickness for most of my pregnancy and found that oyster crackers helped...so I ate 2 or 3 at a time, for most of the day. I kept my calories low (around 1400) but was gaining weight so quickly. I was exercising and couldn't figure it out. By the time I had my son I was closer to 400lbs than 300. I now know that I was eating things that MY body didn't like.

So, I went to war with my body after I had him. I was back in the pool 2 weeks after my C-Section swimming laps. Back in the gym doing the ellipical a few months later. I watched my calories and even signed up for weight watchers. I ended up with extra points every day. I did Medifast (under 1000 calories a day) for 6 months and lost 6 lbs (my dad lost 36 in 6 weeks and we ate EXACTLY the same). I was told at the time that I needed to stop exercising for it to work but refused and should consider gastric bypass. I tried UltraMetabolism (no gluten, no dairy, some starch, mostly organic) for costrocondritis (inflammation around the sternum) and had some success but after about 20 lbs, it stopped. I felt like I was on to something with those 20lbs though so gluten free I went and lost more. Stalled after 2 years of being gluten free, exercising and keeping my calories around 1200 per day. So, I decided to try Primal because I thought I might need to be dairy free too. Ultimately, I wanted to lose weight and reduce inflammation...I've always been willing to try anything. I started Primal and started following this thread and saw results right away! I found this forum (this board specifically) and the thing that stuck out the most to me besides the support that was offered to ANYONE was the belief in N=1 and the understanding that my N might be different than yours. You mean medifast and weight watchers don't work for everyone? You don't say!!

Not once in all the weight I've lost have I gained more than a lb or 2 back without losing more a little later. I ran my first 5k EVER in July of 2011 and did my first triathlon in July of 2012. Even though I played college ball, college rugby and professional football, running was never my strong point even though I never shyed away from exercise in general. Most of you know the quest I'm on to figure out my N with my blood ketone monitor and my charting and graphing and I'm determined to figure it out. Do I like the idea of bacon, sirloins versus tenderloins, heavy whipping cream and real eggs? No, I don't always like it and sometimes allow myself to get concerned about it but almost 400lbs was pretty concerning too. I make sure the carbs I do eat are from veggies and keep my sugar to a minimum...THAT can't be more unhealthy then some of the weight that we're all trying to lose.

This whole N=1 thing and the support the board offers is what makes me continue to come back. I don't sit and read all the posts so that I don't have to exercise and I certainly don't read the posts eating bon-bons. We all know this! We're all trying to find what works for us and our bodies. Period!

Thank you ladies and gentlemen for helping me on MY journey. Happy Valentine's Day.

Megan
    Last edited by mks8500; 02-14-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Megan, in the last 8 years you lost 100 pounds!!! OMG, congrats is not enough! I am thrilled for you, and want to remind you that this is a marathon not a sprint to the finish. The time is not nearly as important as the fact that you did it.

also, I have heard tell that going slower reduces your chances of loose flesh.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    mks8500- Congratulations on the 100 mark!! I am proud and happy for you!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    100 pounds? Who cares if it takes 80 years, that is great!