Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leptin Reset - checking my understanding page

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member

Leptin Reset - checking my understanding

Primal Fuel
    Been reading a bit about leptin, leptin resistance and Leptin reset.

So I just want to ask to make sure I've got this right and I'm not missing anything

1) Eat a big low - zero carb breakfast within 30 mins of getting up that has at least 50g of protien

2) Absolutly no calories outside of meal times (no coffe with cream, or tea with milk or just a bit of dark chocolate)

3) 3 meals a day to start with, if not hungry skip lunch and go down to 2 meals

4) Low carb - defo below 70g a day, ideal about 50g - calories don't matter at this point.

5) Eat primal food only

6) Do not excersise for at least 2 weeks - move slowly is ok, but not before or straight after breakfast

7) After weight starts to drop and you've been on the programm a couple of weeks start HIIT and Lifting heavy (or start again after being forced to stop by the protocol in my case)

8, 9 & 10) EAT BREAKFAST, EAT BREAKFAST DAMN YOU, EAT A BIG F-IN BREAKFAST, DO YOU HEAR ME - EAT BREAKFAST.

Have I got that right?
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

DigiSurg is offline Member
    They key is to eat 50-70 gms of protein within 30 minutes of rising to reset your endogenous clock of the brain at the SCN. If you want to add a help.......as soon as you rise let the sun light hit your retina for 30-60 seconds then eat. This helps your AM cortisol cycle reset. Why is the clock deal huge? Read EMF 1-3 but focus in EMF 2. EMF 2: EINSTEIN, MEET LEPTIN | Living an Optimized Life

Ok I'll stare at the sun for a bit when I get up, as long as the sun is actually up when I get up
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

otzi Guest
    Here's the thing with the 'Leptin Reset': It doesn't deliver.

I've watched dozens, possibly 100's, of people here and on Jack Kruse' website try to fix a broken metabolism by doing a 'leptin reset'.

If you have a broken metabolism, your first stop should be a doctor. Get a full set of labs drawn and use this as your baseline. Make sure they include TSH/T4.

Second, eat according to the Primal Blueprint. A good idea is to eat a breakfast with lots of protein and low carbs, but it is not a magic bullet to reset your leptin, and in fact, will probably cause you to gain weight in the short term. Eat right, exercise, and follow your labs. Don't get caught up in Low Carb dogma.

Here's what happened to lots of followers of the Leptin Reset:

- Began eating big protein breakfasts, ate low carb, gained weight.
    - They were told they had 'leaky gut' and needed longer.
    - They persevered, to no avail.
    - They were then told they need to see the sun in the morning and block all blue light after sunset.
    - They did this and still not better...
    - Now they were told they need to get really, really cold...soak in a cold bath, drive with AC on.
    - Still no better
    - OK, what you REALLY need to do is not eat paleo, but EPI-Paleo, VLC with lots of seafood!
    - Uh-oh, still not working...but now people are having numb fingers and losing hair.
    - OK, here's what I've been holding back...Factor X...I'll tell you later....
    - Still not better, still fat, still cold all the time
    - OK, here's Factor X...a comet hit the earth, the only survivors were those that could adapt to the dark and cold...better now?
    - Still no better
    - Of course you are still sick...you got the EMF Blues! You need to ground yourself dummy, I've known this for 7 years and just now telling you!

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Just do the eat moar fat, it's working for me. Lost about 5 lbs in 3 weeks (after over a year of primal and painfully slow loss- but loss none the less- and not having much left to lose either) and my appetite is way under control now.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    Been reading a bit about leptin, leptin resistance and Leptin reset.

So I just want to ask to make sure I've got this right and I'm not missing anything

1) Eat a big low - zero carb breakfast within 30 mins of getting up that has at least 50g of protien

2) Absolutly no calories outside of meal times (no coffe with cream, or tea with milk or just a bit of dark chocolate)

3) 3 meals a day to start with, if not hungry skip lunch and go down to 2 meals

4) Low carb - defo below 70g a day, ideal about 50g - calories don't matter at this point.

5) Eat primal food only

6) Do not excersise for at least 2 weeks - move slowly is ok, but not before or straight after breakfast

7) After weight starts to drop and you've been on the programm a couple of weeks start HIIT and Lifting heavy (or start again after being forced to stop by the protocol in my case)

8, 9 & 10) EAT BREAKFAST, EAT BREAKFAST DAMN YOU, EAT A BIG F-IN BREAKFAST, DO YOU HEAR ME - EAT BREAKFAST.

Have I got that right?
    yes!
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    @Otzi - I've been eating as the Leptin Reset diet prescribes for the past two and a half weeks. I have no idea if it's doing anything to reset my leptin or fix my metabolism or not, but it has stopped me from grazing on food all day long and has finally let me have some peace of mind when it comes to food and eating, after a long time of food-related anxiety and stress.

I'm only weighing once a week, but on Monday (start of week three) I was down five pounds.

I'll admit I haven't been super stringent about the blue light after sunset, sunlight first thing in the am, cold thermogenesis (another thing I read Kruse advocates), being strict primal or paleo for eight weeks and my carb intake fluctuates from day to day.

It hasn't helped with my being cold all the time (neither did going primal in the first place) and my hair still falls out some, but I have a ton of it, so I'm not concerned. But the impact it's had on my mental outlook toward food and eating in general has made it useful for me.

And my most recent labs (22Dec) show my TSH/T4 are picture perfect, so low thyroid doesn't explain why my hands and feet freeze all the time, either.

@TribalRob, that's about the gist of it. Give'r a go and if you find it works for you, great. If not, carry on to something else. Nothing out there is the magic bullet so cure all our ails, not even the almighty Primal Blueprint.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    How would you know for sure that leptin levels were too high or too low in the first place? If you thought for some reason something wasn't right, that means go see a doctor. But aside from that, I'm sure it's something you can fix at home. Here's a few thoughts to consider.

A person with leptin resistance:
    This is a result of constantly eating too much and gaining too much fat. The only way to combat this is to lose weight. And the only way to do this is to eat less and exercise more.

Combating too low of leptin levels:
    Eating more is never the answer. Why? Because if your leptin levels are low, the chances are they're low because you've been dieting to drop the fat. And you're a bit frustrated because you temporarily hit a plateau. So you blame it on leptin because you read a book where the author said that was why people don't lose weight.

And I call BS. I mean really? You mean if I eat less I won't lose weight? This is the same old fairy tale that dieters in the USA keep telling themselves, and it doesn't work. Because if you eat more, you get fat, and that's why they are fat. And that's why when they eat more to reset leptin levels, they still get fat. It's a load of crap. If you have enough extra fat on your body, you can afford to eat less calories; it will only do you some good.

Now if you really did believe your leptin levels were low, there is a simple solution. Periodically eat some starchy carbs such as sweet potatoes. Studies show that they do the best on restoring and maintaining leptin levels.

Speaking of carbs, it's actually been my experience that you simply can't get a lot of energy to perform well physically while on low carbs. Try doing construction work on low carbs. I tried it and my performance was in the dirt.

So the way I see it is, very low carbs works great when trying to lose weight because it makes it so much easier to cut the calories. But you can only comfortably cut for so long. Eventually you have to go back to maintenance where you'd be back in the low-moderate carb range.

Another strategy you can do while dieting on low carbs is to have one carb day per week. Some people do that with great success. Because theoretically, unlike what might happen if you kept calories and carbs low for a month, you'd be resetting leptin once per week.

Also, about the breakfast, I'd say that's only nonsense and another excuse to eat more. Realize that leptin has a function just like insulin and GH and so you need it. It goes up when you eat and down when you stop eating. This is normal and this is what you want.

What do you think will happen if you ate only 1-2 big meals later in the day? Leptin drops in the morning and rises after your meals. This is normal. And I don't think it's a coincidence that people report feeling fuller after meals after they started doing IF plans such as 1-2 meals per day. I've also experienced this. And I suspect leptin is the culprit.

otzi Guest
    Eating a big protein breakfast and seeing the sun in the morning are both great things, everyone should do it if they can.

My beef is with the "Leptin Reset" protocol as outlined by Dr. Jack Kruse.

When he first came on the paleo scene, he made a big show of it that he lost 100 pounds or so by resetting his leptin. He said 'Leptin is the Master Hormone!'. It seemed so right. Many tried it, but aside from just being a healthy way to eat, it didn't do anything for people with really broken metabolisms, hence all the follow-on protocols that Jack is still trying to get us to buy into.

I think his major downfall is his strict 'No Starch' policy. People with low or broken metabolisms aren't going to get well following a low carb approach. I'll agree LC is good for weightloss in the early stages, but further than that it should only be used for a few certain medical conditions that dictate it's use.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    yes!
    Thank-you for the straight answer

Ultimatly I'm gonna give this a go as I see no harm in eating slightly lower carb than I have been for the last month and see no harm in eating at specific times - considering my lean mass is likely in excess of 150lbs, 50 grams of protein seems pretty reasonable to me for one stitting, maybe a little on the low side

I've been eating straight primal for the last month, working out plenty (5 days week - bodyweight, cycle, rest, run, sand-bag,rest, Tabata interval circuits in that order ) and getting in 1 hour walks most days. Allowing myself more sweet potates, root veg and fruit and have gained weight and appitie has been huge - just not getting full.
    So I'll try this for a month see if it has any effect, if it starts working, rock-on, if not I'll try something else, hell if it comes to it I'll even count calories or try swtiching to HC-VLF to shock my system (I draw the line at eating wheat though).

I know not everyone agrees with what works, I'm just working on me and trying stuff out, I lost a good 30lbs easy starting primal last year, then another 15 or so slow and hard, like a half a pound a week was good, now I've gained a few more far to easy. I feel I need to lose another 30 to get to lean sub 12% body fat, 20 would be acceptable as a start and 25 acceptabalish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast