Thread: Primal Pregnancy Questions page

lolawolf is offline Member

Primal Pregnancy Questions

Primal Fuel
    29weeks pregnant, I'm 4'9", 160pounds. Started at 190 after giving birth to my son in April 2011. Weighed 160 before we knew I was pregnant (found out early august), went to 150, now back to 160. Just for added ... effect?... I have a shirt that I couldnt get into before I was pregnant that can fit me fine now&I do have a big baby belly!! Been primal on&off for over a year. I guess I have a net gain of 0 so far with this pregnancy since I lost 10pounds at first?
    Tested positive for hypothyroidism so I was on a medicine 1/2grain 2x a day and was hoping eating primally would help make it better. Didn't at first (started eating primally, THEN was diagnosed) but the midwife had my thyroid levels checked (t3&t4) and said everything was in the normal range so who knows if that's normal for me. Hard to tell if I feel better because I'm pregnant&not sure if the ickiness is from my thyroid or from my baby lol

1st trimester: I was hungry but had no appetite whatsoever so I wouldn't eat and then I'd get nauseous&this whole cycle is back with a vengeance this trimester.

2nd trimester: Nothing memorable to report other than cravings closer to the end of the trimester

3rd trimester OH MY GOD. Everything. You name it. Aches&pains, hips trying to give out, can't even exercise because I feel so tired&if I do exercise or even clean I feel worse, major sciatica pain, heartburn if i eat too soon before laying down, MASSIVE cravings - not just sweet stuff but for HIGH CALORIE things like milk shakes&giant greasy burgers.

I don't keep track of what I eat anymore or when but I'd say more often than not I'll have a handful (I have pretty small hands) of some kind of meat - usually roast or everything else I make in the crockpot lol - plus some potato with butter&cottage cheese. I'm trying to get more eggs in, same with veggies but since getting pregnant, veggies either gross me out or are soooooo unappealing - pretty sad since i used to LOVE them, especially spinach - I try to eat an avocado every day
    Lately it's been smoothies since nothing sounds appetizing - not even smoothies - so 1/2 a nanner, flax meal, coconut milk, almond butter, honey, avocado maybe
    I was going on a warm berries with cottage cheese (plus maple syrup&sliced almonds) kick, that was way different for me lol

Question 1: When you're stomach/body is very hungry but you have no appetite, or nothing ever sounds good at ALL, what do you do? I should eat to stop the nausea before it starts but nothing sounds even appetizing so I'm having a hard time deciding what the "best" thing to eat is-nutrient wise&something that will keep me full so I don't have to worry about this problem SO often during the day lol

Question 2: What are your theories about why I'm craving such high calorie foods? Just because I'm pregnant&my body thinks I need the calories? As you can see, I am overweight&am trying to not gain as much this pregnancy (gained 80pounds with my son so I'm doing REALLY good so far).

Question 3: I wasn't able to breastfeed my son (i contribute that to poor eating&my thyroid problem), even after trying EVERYTHING to produce more milk&nothing worked =( Has anyone not been able to breastfeed, switched to primal, then was able to breastfeed another child? My BIGGEST dream is being able to feed my baby MY MILK and not some gross, unnatural formula!

Question 4: I've been making bone broths (for thyroid&baby/stretch marks)&researching&researching and even after doing everything that all these blogs suggest, my broths don't taste good. I was hoping they'd be better tasting than store bought but that is certainly not the case. I've roasted the bones&added the acv&it just doesn't turn out as expected, maybe i'm expecting too much? Always comes out like jello though so that's good!

Question 5: I hear that low carb is bad for thyroid, and I firmly believe it because when I was going for ketosis, I always felt like shit. ALWAYS. Never came out of what seemed like the "carb flu". Plus the best I EVER felt was when I was basically a fruitarian - VERY different from what I've been taught about primal lol Anyway, I'm wanting to lose weight but also feel good so I'm having a hard time figuring out how much of my diet should be carbs. Do some of you work better with a potato every day, every few days, or go for a completely different kind of carb?

Question 6: Do you think your baby has been healthier - stronger, more active - because of being primal in the womb? I've been able to feel this baby since a little before 4 months i believe and she just kicks SO HARD, to the point where it throws me off balance. Just wondering if diet has anything to do with it since my 1st pregnancy i ate almost nothing but processed carbs&he didn't seem very active

Question 7: Were you able to give birth naturally? I gave birth naturally with my first, but with severe back labor, and I guess I'm worried about this baby because I want to give birth at home&just don't want anything to go wrong so I end up in the hospital. Hoping she's not giant because I really don't want a c section - the thought of having my baby surgically removed&having to deal with post surgery really irritates me - so, like all moms, i just want delivery to go smoothly

Question 8: Do you have ANY other tips, recommendations, stories, advice, ANYTHING that you could tell me so I'm more prepared for delivery, having 2 kids, how to keep up with my thyroid, anything at all is GREATLY appreciated!!

So sorry this post is SO long, and thank you so much for taking the time to read it!
    Heaviest - 4/28/11 - 190
    - 1/12 - 171.4
    - 07/12 - 160&got pregnant!
    - 11/12 - 150ish
    Losing fat but gaining baby? WOO!
    Goal - healthy, happy baby and happy mama!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Hi! You have lots of words there. Obviously, you are pretty interested/excited about all of this, and I don't blame you! Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Now, I'm no expert on any of this, particularly from a primal POV or anything else, but I"ll give it a crack, ok? I had one baby, was vegetarian at the time (but I did eat meat about 7 or so times during the pregnancy. Might have been 5 though.). I gave birth naturally at home, and was able to breastfeed. I also run slightly hypo, but I've never been medicated for it.

Questions!

Question 1: When you're stomach/body is very hungry but you have no appetite, or nothing ever sounds good at ALL, what do you do?

Pick that which is nutrient rich and palatable and eat. I didn't have much nausea with my pregnancy -- or many problems at all really (I had intense exhaustion in the first trimester) -- but when I was hungry but nothing seemed appetizing, I would eat whatever was most nutrient rich.

Question 2: What are your theories about why I'm craving such high calorie foods? Just because I'm pregnant&my body thinks I need the calories?

Your body is craving nutrient rich foods because it is growing a baby and trying to maintain itself. Eat nutrient rich foods, and if you want, feel free to count calories. You usually need your normal caloric intake plus an additional 300-500 calories per day (depends upon you, the trimester, etc). If you eat nutritious food, though, you're more likely to have appetite control. It just works that way.

Question 3: I wasn't able to breastfeed my son (i contribute that to poor eating&my thyroid problem), even after trying EVERYTHING to produce more milk&nothing worked =( Has anyone not been able to breastfeed, switched to primal, then was able to breastfeed another child? My BIGGEST dream is being able to feed my baby MY MILK and not some gross, unnatural formula!

Connect with a lactation consultant *right now* -- before you have your baby. Just get names/numbers and call around to see if they have openings around your due date. It's important to get in early, and some might even see you before hand to talk to you about what happened in your first go around.

I'll be honest with you, a lot of women are given crap information from their doctors, and the doctors blame it on the hormones, the broken body, whatever. Really, it's their lack of knowledge and bad advice. One friend of mine was told to pump every 30 minutes to help increase supply, and when that didn't work over the course of 3 days, to pump every 24 hrs. Dumb dumb dumb! My lactation consultant (whom I happened to share this with at the time) was completely livid! My friend decided not to see my LC, she decided instead that "my body just didn't work" becuase that's what her doctor told her and "better luck next time!"

*Get a lactation consultant!*

Question 4: I've been making bone broths . . .my broths don't taste good.

I suggest adding veg and herbs, as well as salt. Ours turn out great. I also dont' like mine that gelateous, and I took out the ACV, and it tasted a lot better.

Question 5: Do some of you work better with a potato every day, every few days, or go for a completely different kind of carb?

This really depends upon you. Under the primal blueprint, weight loss zone is getting between 50 and 100 g of carbs per day. I would recommend though, since you are preggers, putting yourself into the maintenance category at this point -- getting between 100g and 150g per day.

You can get these carbs any way you want. I always look for the "more nutrients!" element. I feel (it may not be scientifically accurate) taht I get more diverse nutrients and nutrition from a BAS than from a potato. My BAS might equal a potato in carb counts. Thus, I prefer a BAS to a potato.

Also, if you love fruit, then use fruit instead of potatoes. I would much rather have a BA-Fruit Salad than a potato. That's just me though.

And, I keep my carb counts between 80 and 125 depending upon the day and how I feel and where I am in my menstrual cycle.

Question 6: Do you think your baby has been healthier - stronger, more active - because of being primal in the womb?

My son was just like your little one while in the womb. We weren't primal, but I was eating a very nutrient rich diet. He -- quite literally -- threw me out of a chair about 2-3 weeks before his birth. Yes, he was that active. And, he's very strong and healthy.

He's been primal for two years like us, and he's a strong, healthy kid. Rarely gets sick, very strong, etc. He's great.

Also, exhausting. So, be ready! He has two modes: on and asleep. On is ON! LOL

Question 7: Were you able to give birth naturally? I gave birth naturally with my first, but with severe back labor, and I guess I'm worried about this baby because I want to give birth at home

I would say that you need to talk to your midwife about why and when she would advocate going to the hospital. Reason being that back labor, or for that matter posterior presentation which usually causes it, isn't necessarily a reason to transfer. But, you do need to talk it out with her.

I had a posterior presentation and back labor. That being said, I had no pain in labor/birth. I know it was back labor because that's where I felt the pressure and that makes sense because of how I stand (which is malpositioned in and of itself, and I'm doing a physiotherapy course to correct it!) as well as his presentation. As I said, I birthed at home no problems, but I'm an outlier (I had an unassisted childbirth and wasn't at all concerned about him being posterior).

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lolawolf View Post
    Question 7: Were you able to give birth naturally? I gave birth naturally with my first, but with severe back labor, and I guess I'm worried about this baby because I want to give birth at home&just don't want anything to go wrong so I end up in the hospital. Hoping she's not giant because I really don't want a c section - the thought of having my baby surgically removed&having to deal with post surgery really irritates me - so, like all moms, i just want delivery to go smoothly

Question 8: Do you have ANY other tips, recommendations, stories, advice, ANYTHING that you could tell me so I'm more prepared for delivery, having 2 kids, how to keep up with my thyroid, anything at all is GREATLY appreciated!!

So sorry this post is SO long, and thank you so much for taking the time to read it!
    Hi there, best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy and delivery. Having only discovered primal a few months ago I don't feel qualified to answer most of your questions.

However I can share that I too had a backache labour with my first baby. Second and third babies were delivered naturally and with much MUCH shorter labour. So yes, it is entirely possible. There are never guarantees though and personally I would rather be in hospital if necessary than far away when some help was needed.

As for being prepared for delivery, continue eating well, don't exercise hard out but I found that squatting (with some support like holding onto the side of the bath) helped with flexibility and readiness. Now is not the time for weight loss. Breastfeeding should help with that.

Having two children is wonderful. Yes it's busy, but many many people have done it and lived to tell the tale.

Best wishes.

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    This is my third pregnancy (I'm about 17 weeks) and my first one primal, so I can't really tell you how primal changes the experience. I can say that I have had much less morning sickness this time around, fewer cravings, and overall more energy.

Some things are worse, though. My sciatica, for example, has started acting up sooner and just seems more painful. Same with joint pain in my knees. And I am not overweight. I am 5'0" and was about 104 lbs when I got preggers.

I do tend to gain a lot during pregnancy. In both previous pregnancies (eating SAD) I gained about 35 pounds. I was also eating McDonalds QPs, fries and a Sprite most nights of the week... and sometimes a fish filet thrown in for good measure.

Honestly, I'm not sure the positives of this pregnancy (less cravings, less nausea, more energy) can really be attributed to my diet. I also have two young kids now, so I'm distracted/busier. Maybe I've got too much on my mind to notice my cravings. haha Also, every pregnancy is different. That's what they say and I believe it's very true.

I breastfed both my kids fine eating SAD. I'm not sure what causes problems BFing, but maybe you should consult a lactation expert before the baby is born (and you have the stress of handling a newborn) to get some suggestions.

I had terrible back labor with my first, got an epidurel, had third degree tears that led to agonizing pain in my girly bits, and took 6 months to recover.

With my second, I elected to have a c-section and was recovered in 2 weeks.

I'll elect for the c-section again. Natural births are great and I am so proud of all the ladies who do it, but it definitely wasn't for me. I don't feel like less of a woman or mom because of it, either. My kids are happy and growing into strong, independent people. That's what matters to me.

Best wishes for your pregnancy, delivery, and little one! It's so exciting when a new life comes into this world.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    Forgot to add: I found the transition of going from one kid to two kids pretty easy. But my second kid was a fairly easy baby: not demanding, slept through the night early, basically content. Now that they're older (4 & 2) it's just life, you know? Can't imagine it any other way. (Well, until the third one gets here. Then it all changes again. haha)
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm 3 weeks out from finishing a primal pregnancy (also I have diabetes, PCOS, and hypothyroidism)

Question 1: When you're stomach/body is very hungry but you have no appetite, or nothing ever sounds good at ALL, what do you do?

Honestly, I turned to protein shakes/smoothies. I think it's better to get something into your system in this situation than avoiding basic nutrients altogether. My go-to was Sun Warrior, Jay Robb, or Isopure Zero with almond milk and grass fed heavy cream every morning. Or I'd have cottage cheese & fresh berries.

Question 2: What are your theories about why I'm craving such high calorie foods? Just because I'm pregnant&my body thinks I need the calories?
    Yup. You're growing another human being. Your body knows that's kind of a big deal
    I craved meat & fat the first few months, and unless my grass fed steak was still mooing it was unacceptable. Towards the end I didn't really want meat, just fat and carbs. Listen to your body, give it what it wants (within reason)

Question 3: I wasn't able to breastfeed my son (i contribute that to poor eating&my thyroid problem), even after trying EVERYTHING to produce more milk¬hing worked =( Has anyone not been able to breastfeed, switched to primal, then was able to breastfeed another child? My BIGGEST dream is being able to feed my baby MY MILK and not some gross, unnatural formula!

My diet was terrible with my first. It's not that I ate bad on purpose, I just didn't know better. I tried to do right by her, but it didn't work out. By 3 months, I was drying up, and she'd scream when she latched on. Looking back, I think it was an early indication of her gluten sensitivity (she was super spitty-- like pea soup possessed baby), and she started losing weight rapidly. It was frightening. This go round, I feel confident in my supply, and Thing 2 is a better nurser, to boot.

Question 4: I've been making bone broths (for thyroid&baby/stretch marks)&researching&researching and even after doing everything that all these blogs suggest, my broths don't taste good. I was hoping they'd be better tasting than store bought but that is certainly not the case. I've roasted the bones&added the acv&it just doesn't turn out as expected, maybe i'm expecting too much? Always comes out like jello though so that's good!
    Try this recipe, it's delicious (and you still get the best part of the bone in it)
    Sweet Marrow Custard with Vanilla Bean

Question 5: I hear that low carb is bad for thyroid, and I firmly believe it because when I was going for ketosis, I always felt like shit. ALWAYS. Never came out of what seemed like the "carb flu". Plus the best I EVER felt was when I was basically a fruitarian - VERY different from what I've been taught about primal lol Anyway, I'm wanting to lose weight but also feel good so I'm having a hard time figuring out how much of my diet should be carbs. Do some of you work better with a potato every day, every few days, or go for a completely different kind of carb?
    I do just fine on low carb, but I allow myself carb refeeds at least once a week. Before pregnancy, I'd limit my intake to 25g per day. During pregnancy, I let it go a little higher once I had to go back on insulin. Now that I'm breast feeding, my intake continues to be higher, but I try to make the carbs count and come from the right sources. I average 50g-100g daily. When it's closer to 100, I try to keep my fat intake lower, and vice versa on the other end.

Question 6: Do you think your baby has been healthier - stronger, more active - because of being primal in the womb?
    I dunno. Thing 2 has her own personality, and while I was pregnant with her I called her Mean Baby. She was super active and hell bent on breaking my ribs every day. I had the doctor laughing when I was pushing her out. I just concentrated on that pain in my ribs and growled "You are SO outta there, you little hoser!"
    Now that I have her, she's mostly super sweet, but she does have some anger issues still, lol. She was a pound heavier and an inch longer than my first baby.

Question 7: Were you able to give birth naturally?
    With my first one I tried hypnobirthing and made it to 7 cm dilation before panicking and getting an epi. I was going to do the same with this one, but ended up getting an epi at 3 cm cuz they needed to break my water, but it was super uncomfortable with how high baby still was. Thanks to diabetes, I was induced with both, but my 2nd one went a lot better than the first! I feel, thanks to primal, I've even recovered faster, and post partem depression has been minimal. I had it bad with my first.

I spent 6 months preparing my oldest for her new sister, letting her know how different things would be, and getting her to be more independent and do more for herself. She's been the best big sister one could hope for and is super loving/affectionate with her "chunk-a-lunk"
    As for bodily functions (thyroid, etc), just make sure to eat right, regularly, and stay on top of your medications if any. Eat the foods that are healthy but make you happy. I've been nomming on nuts, fruit, and chocolate to my heart's content.
    Make an effort to get out and exercise regularly, too (go for a walk, get some sunshine)
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com