Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you feed your dog? page

Stephanie is offline Member

What do you feed your dog?

Primal Fuel
    We are getting a Boston terrier puppy in a week or so.

I'm curious what you feed your dog (looking for advise from ppl who don't feed their dogs traditional grain based dog food)? I see the raw meat dog food at whole foods which looks great, but is that all you feed it? Just the raw meat on the bones? Does it need other types of food (veggies, eggs, etc).

Trying to keep our new family member as primal as possible. Ty.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Grain free locally made commercial dry dog food. My dog is a ratter. She gets her raw food from the occasional rodent she catches.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    I have a Mastiff & a German Shepherd.
    I feed a mixture of Veal, Beef, Rabbit, Duck, Turkey, Venison, Pheasant,Tripe, Lamb, fish,liver & assorted Offal...
    In fact the only meat I dont usally feed is chicken due to the crap there fed wich makes my German Shepherd itch like crazy if he eats it a few times in a row.

Bones..beef knuckle bones & Pig feet as a treat, lamb ribs, turkey necks, pheasant & duck carcasses etc as edible bone meals

They also get eggs 2-3 times a week & oily fish .
    The only vegies they get are scraps from dinner & the occasional bits of fruit (my Mastiff Loves Bananas & berries, he will actually sit & pick brambles all day if you let him, he will on the other hand spit out liver like its the devils undershorts unless I mince it with something else. LOL)
    Last edited by DinoHunter; 02-01-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    I have 2 Irish Terriers (7 and 8 years old, 39 and 48 lb) and a Yorkshire Terrier (2 years, 6 lb). One of them is on strict veterinary diet, but others eat Orijen - Canadian made dry dog food, no grains. They also get meat, any kind. Some say that pork is not good for dogs, but obviously, the same say that its not good for people, too. Raw pork is a risk of worms but you have to deworm the dog anyway. My dogs do not like raw offal.
    Egs are ok for dogs. Puppies will benefit from cottage cheese. For a puppy, while its small, you can pour some kefir or fermented milk over the dry food.
    They absolutely love all berries, fruit, cucumber, pumpkin soup, celery soup, etc.
    Some foods that you better do not give, or small quantities are tomatoes, strawberries, apple middles with seeds (apples though are great). Anyway, you restrict but the dogs go in the garden and help themselves. Not such a big deal. Potatoes do no harm and no good. For a dog its not food at all.
    Totally no-no: chocolate, almonds, raisins and poultry/bird bones. Those can kill your dog. Here is a good site in English with all the proper explanations - why those foods are harmful Dog Health by LowchensAustralia.com
    While poultry/bird bones are not allowed, you can take off the cartilage and give a sensible amount to the dog. Its good or joints but not as much as to stop the bowel movement. Or chicken necks for a snack. Bones are not food, they are for biting and cleaning the teeth. If you give bones, the best would be raw cattle upper hind leg - too big and solid (beware that boiled or cooked bones split easier and may injure the dogs intestines) for the dog to actually bite a piece off and eat, just for the teeth, not for tummy
    Unlike cats dogs are not total carnivores, they would eat and benefit from veggies, egs, dairy (not fresh milk). Mostly like people.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    meat.........a wee bit of meat....................and sometimes I feed her...............................MEAT
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

lorichka6 is online now Senior Member
    If you like internet forums check this one out. I got a lot of info from here when we rescued our first dog and knew we wanted to start him on raw food.

Raw Food Diet Forums

Ours get mostly raw bone-in chicken. They get liver as treats. When the butcher gives us scraps (for free - worth befriending your local butcher if you have one) they get whatever that happens to be. Raw eggs from time to time. Our newest gets coconut oil most days to help with her being a little on the stinky side. Both have coats that are shiny and soft (a change for both compared to when we got them) and their poop is usually a joy to pick up. Friends recently dog-sat for us when we went away and one pooped on the floor one morning - they commented they couldn't believe how un-stinky the poop was. And that was unsolicited feedback

If you decide to feed bone in, you may need to help your dog learn how to eat as they naturally should. Kibble just gets swallowed whole and dogs lose the instinct to lick and check their food. I held onto one end of the drumstick/quarter to make sure it didn't get swallowed whole until they learned to do it on their own.

I guess that was my 6 cents worth

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    In addition to various cuts/animals I make them patties with ground beef, eggs, soaked oats, chopped greens, apples, carrots, liver, and sardines. I like them to have a little veg and oats to mimic what they might get out intestinal tracts of herbivores.

tiva is offline Junior Member
    Taste of the Wild--a grain-free, high quality food that comes in bags and is available at our local pet/feed store (so it's easy!). Our vet is very enthusiastic about it. We supplement with fish oils and anti-oxidants for the 17 year old pit bull (not for the 6 year old pit bull). Something must be working right, for Tiva to make it to 17 years of age--that's pretty old for a pit bull.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    raw bone in chicken for our dog and cat as recommended by our vet. An occasional egg, maybe left over vegetables from dinner, some sweet potato or pumpkin for the dog, smelt for the cat. Neither really likes liver but eat it on rare occasions. Dog loves lamb or beef soup bones from the asian market. Both love coconut oil.

BygoneCat is offline Member
    We have a 7 month old mutt (Westie/schnauzer/chihauhua- cutest pup ever!) and he gets a bowl with half Taste of the Wild (cheapest at a farm store) and half a mush I make. Mush is made in a huge pot once a month and includes liver, pumpkin or sweet potato or rutabagas or carrots, tons of greens from our garden, meat of some kind. It's probably half meat, half veggies. I cook it until everything is soft and then mush it with a hand blender. Freeze it in one week portions. He looooves it. My husband accidently bought liver treats that had grain in them the other day and he wouldn't touch them. : ) Freeze dried liver for training is great - cheap at Trader Joes.

Also he gets tons of bones, which he adores. I give him larger ones after I have made broth or on the rare occasion that we can afford steak.

He is exceptionally healthy. We are regularly stopped when we are out walking - people ask what kind he is (mutt!) and comment on how bright and happy he is.

He loves raw carrots and the stems of kale/collards etc. when we are cooking. Be sure to read up on veggies that are dangerous for dogs - onions, garlic, leeks, grapes, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast