Thread: Paleo Vs Vego page

alwillia is offline Junior Member

Paleo Vs Vego

Shop Now
    Ok so I need help! Previously I was a vego (I know right what was I thinking?!), and am now one very happy paleo addict. The problem is my uncle is always at me about 'going to the dark side', and I would really like some proper evidence as to why paleo is not only so much better for us individually but also from a economical/sustainability point of view. I find it really hard to explain so any articles(with proper evidence) would be highly appreciated.. The fact he has an IQ of over 180 doesn't help either
    Alice

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Former vego / veggie here - welcome to the dark side!

What turned me back to eating meat was:

1) Realising that saturated fat isn't the cause of cardiovascular disease and is actually healthy (presume you've read about the Ancel Keys research that started the whole low fat movement?)
    2) Realising all the health complications that can arise by not eating meat (infertility is just one - that's why a lot of vegans / veggies miss periods)
    3) Realising that raising animals doesn't put a strain on the environment if they are raised correctly. When cows are fed corn they produce methane (bad) - this doesn't happen when they're fed grass. Furthermore, vegans claim that raising meat to feed people is unsustainable because it takes so much more land to raise animals than veggies. However, livestock can actually be used to regenerate degraded land. A man called Allan Savory pushed a huge initiative like this in Zimbabwe. Africa Centre For Holistic Management - Home
    4) Admitting that, as cute as I find pigs, I wasn't thriving on that WOE and that I needed to put myself first (I still don't really eat pigs though )

Those were my scientific / ethical justifications for returning to meat eating. However, you're going to be probably dealing with him quoting the China study, and in my view there's no point in getting into scientific arguments with someone who is trying to convince you of something and is not going to change their mind - it's as bad as religion.

What I do now when I talk to my vegan friends is I say that I've realised that:

1) Everyone's protein requirements are different. I wasn't thriving as a vegan, but maybe it suitable for them.
    2) You can prove or disprove anything with science (a quick search of this forum will uncover a lot of debunking of the China Study, par example.
    3) Everyone does what they can for the world.

Enjoy your foray back
    Last edited by YogaBare; 01-31-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: A million typos due to typing in an insomniac frenzy
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat