Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Look out america........................ page 9

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    BB - hopefully we will get the hang of this tipping, and yes we will have a wonderful adventure...and as much as I call DH Gwumpy Gwandad - he is the loveliest guy - most of the time.
    I am getting excited thou.
    When we did the Uk I bought a little material patch from each place we went to. I am hoping to sew them all onto a blanket - one day. So I am sure that I will accumulate another blanket full. Actually I hope that you can buy little material patches in the wee towns !!!!! or I could rob the odd policeman. They always have little patches sewn onto their clothes.
    Now theres a thought - policemen in uniforms................ hmmmmmm I like me a uniform........... Gwamma digresses !!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    For what it is worth, all 50 states have two-letter capital abbreviations. Ohio is OH. New Jersey is NJ, Texas is TX, Indiana is IN... As in:
    Jane Doe
    123 America Street
    Wholesometown OH 41414

Your guesses at MN were entertaining! You be funny, Gwamma!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

CC yes sometimes Gwamma be funny, sometimes not !!!!!
    I can feel a blanket coming on ........ oh and have finished number 2 square !!!!!!!!! Thank goodness there has been some decent TV to watch !!!!!

...small steps....

Rojo is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    For what it is worth, all 50 states have two-letter capital abbreviations.
    Still have to think twice about the "M" states and "A" states.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Can you post a picture of your squares? I'm really curious to see what you have decided to make...

Hi Martha - I shall take some pickies tonight.....
    am having goat issues today, so fun and games over this side of the world !!!!!

...small steps....

Primal Pamme is offline Member
    I am from Indiana and DH is from Spokane, Washington. We live in Indiana and drove out to Spokane a couple of years ago and it was a great trip. It took us three days, but then we didn't have time to dawdle too much. We had two weeks to drive out to see DD#1 and GD and make it back to Milwaukee, Wisconsin to help DD move from one apartment to another.

You have a couple of choices of national highways. We took 90 out and 94 back. I liked 94 better, but there seemed to be more touristy things on 90. You could also travel on 70 or 80. Since you have a week, look at the national parks and decide what you want to see. We stopped to see Mount Rushmore and thoroughly enjoyed it, but that only took a couple of hours. It was smaller than I expected.

There are Holiday Inns, Economy Inns, and Super 8s all along these highways. These are decent hotels that often have an indoor pool, a workout room and a computer room. There are always national chain restaurants close to these hotels. We tried to eat locally, but these type of restaurants take some effort to find and by the time we stopped driving, we just wanted to eat and go to sleep. At the chain restaurants you can always order a burger without the bun and sweet potato fries.

Before we left for Spokane, we visited our local health food store and bought a bunch of healthy snacks and made some lunch type foods that would keep in a cooler. Especially in Seattle, you will find that most give grocery stores carry a health food section and Styrofoam coolers are cheap. We were in Portland, rather in a small town near Portland visiting DD#1 over the holidays and I was surprised to see that the local grocery store had grass fed meat available at reasonable prices along with other Paleo friendly foods. In many of the local restaurants, you will find buffalo on the menu and buffalo meat in the grocery stores. Here in Indiana, we have to travel to the big town to find such things.

There is so much to see along the way that I regretted having no time to explore.

I suggest you look up several of the big cities along the way along with the national parks to see if there is something you would really like to see. There are lots of signs letting you know what attraction or park is coming up, but do your research or ask the locals or you might miss something.

If you are interested in beer or Harleys, Milwaukee is the place to go. They also have a great food market, art museum and the the park on Lake Michigan where they have ethnic these festivals almost every week. I love that city. We have never eaten a bad meal there. Even the Dennies like restaurant across the street from DD's apartment made everything fresh.

Portland is also a good place to visit. There is the Japanese Garden, Powell's Book Store, and the Rose Gardens. There is a lot to see and do in Chicago, too.

There are so many things you could do along the way and even here in Indiana. If your DD is in Southern Indiana, Brown County would be a great place to visit. If she is up closer to me, the Dunes National Park is very nice. Oh, and there are lots of wineries in Southern Indiana and a few worth visiting elsewhere.

Rojo is online now Senior Member
    If you go non-Primal, I recommend Denny's Nachos. Dead serious, they're the bomb.

Thanx PP and Rojo. DH will do the non-primal thing, however I would like to stick with it if I can. And with a wee bit of planning I should be able to.
    PP we actually have three weeks to get from Seattle, down to Indiana (Lamar), and then back up to NewYork. I imagine we will want to get to the DD as fast as, but after not seeing her for a year, a few extra days sight seeing aint gonna be a big deal. And why not see the country while we are there !!!!!!!!
    All these suggestions are fantastic - thank you all very much.
    Do the hotels/motels come equipt with kitchens and fridge/freezers ??? And what is the water like to drink in America ???
    I hate buying plastic bottles of water, all that plastic getting into our rubbish tips etc.... We drink our water straight from our well. The most beautiful tasting water ever. I suppose it has come from a deep aquifer that is 1000's of years old - so lucky me !

Anyway can you refil drink bottles, with nice water or is it florinated and chlorinated ?????

...small steps....

Martha - I am thinking that this might be okay. I will do some more squares and see. if I decide that its not quite right, I have plenty of time to start again. This can then go to one of my grandbabies.

Each sqaure will be 40cm x 40cm, so if I sew 3x3 together 120cm wide and long, and then if I add a border of another 10cm or so ????
    Just the thoughts and ramblings of an old Gwamma !!!! LOL

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1e51c55c.jpg

...small steps....

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast