Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Look out america........................ page 5

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanx Sandra - I will add that to my little info booklet.
    We loved Vancouver. In fact during that trip a few years ago I found a mammoth tusk in a wee antique place .............. I really wanted to bring that relic home........ sadly the handbrake said NOOOOOOO -
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    If minimum wages were higher than no one would hire people with current minimum-wage level skills. With a low or no minimum wage, anyone can get a job anywhere really. If it were high, then employers would be more selective and make more demands. I bet I'd have to get drug tested and shit to be able to put a hot dog in a bun in a parking lot.
    But this is only a guess. Or maybe there's a youtube.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I love your blankets. Thanks for showing them to me. Looks like you crochet, too. Here's a couple of other links for blankets that have been on my wish list for a while.

Ravelry: Babette Blanket pattern by Kathy Merrick

Ravelry: Chameleon Baby Blanket pattern by Tracy St. John

I love colour - can you tell?

BTW, Sandra is bang on about tipping in Canada. It's nowhere near as high as the American figures being mentioned here. I usually tip 10%, plus rounded up to the next full dollar or two.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Here is what my mama made for me a while ago...

image.jpg

"Handbrake" is funny! So how did the daughter decide to come to the US?? Whanau are fine, thanks much! If you are over at my journal place, make yourself known here and there - I'm sure we could have a nice wee chat!

And, if you happen to be driving through Ohio, when you get closer to the Pennsylvania border, let me know! The Family Crabbcakes would love to host you! If you are just a tiny bit lucky, the tractor pulls will be on over the weekend just behind our property - we could show you all the antique tractors you could wish for in one spot (and they all run - they drive in all afternoon long...) with their farmer owners. We actually have TWO pull lanes out here in Brigadoon. And after dark, the bad boys with the souped up engines that blow blue flame are on.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

[QUOTE=marthat;1081234] Here's a couple of other links for blankets that have been on my wish list for a while.

[/url]

Martha - wow - they are amazing. I love making stuff, being creative.
    DH has made me this huge table out of a cable reel. (Found it on the side of the road !!!!) It will seat about 16 people around it. I am wanting to find an old piece of drift wood to make it into a candelabra for the centre - should be fun trying to find said piece of wood !!!!!

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post

image.jpg

"Handbrake" is funny! So how did the daughter decide to come to the US?? Whanau are fine, thanks much! If you are over at my journal place, make yourself known here and there - I'm sure we could have a nice wee chat!

And, if you happen to be driving through Ohio, when you get closer to the Pennsylvania border, let me know! The Family Crabbcakes would love to host you! If you are just a tiny bit lucky, the tractor pulls will be on over the weekend just behind our property - we could show you all the antique tractors you could wish for in one spot (and they all run - they drive in all afternoon long...) with their farmer owners. We actually have TWO pull lanes out here in Brigadoon. And after dark, the bad boys with the souped up engines that blow blue flame are on.
    Awwww CC that is such a lovely offer. I really need to get a big map of America to work out where everyone is !
    I will definately have a wee read of your journal.

DD (17 yrs), loves America - with a passion. She asked a few years ago to go on the AFS exchange, which I did the fob off thing. She was too young. Then 2 years ago she asked again and I suggested that she do her homework and get back to me......... didn't happen, so last year i again suggested she do her homework, and come back to DH and me with a proposal - which she did.
    AFS were all booked up, however she managed to get accepted for the EF (education first) program. Quite a few stipulations, however she passed every one, and is having the bestest time with her host family.
    She is wanting to become a commercial Pilot and thought that she could join the American Airforce - but has found out that its not very easy to get into your airforce as a foreigner - so will possibly look at coming back here to go into our Airforce.........
    She turns 18 later this month, so the world is her oyster !!!!!!
    anyway I am a yabberer at the best of times - so sorry for my long story - however it was the condensed version !!!!!! LOL
    Last edited by NZ primal Gwamma; 02-01-2013 at 05:21 PM.

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post

image.jpg

wow CC they are amazing !!!!!!! (The pickies were still pending approval earlier). You have an amazing Mama - give her a hug for me
    G x

...small steps....

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    question number 1.
    What do you get/make for an amazing american family, who has taken your child (18 years old later this month) in for one whole year, run around after her, done the whole parenting thing etc.....
    I am thinking make them a huge queen sized blanket in lots of colours ????? The emphasis on me actually spending the time to make it myself ????
    thoughts from you beautiful american people please ............
    Ask your daughter and/or the host family what their "colors" are in their home, and then give them a blanket in those colors. While I love home made, if it's not my colors, I get bitchy becuase I have to rehome it (i don't keep things just because it was nicely home made. if it don't match, and frustrates me, it goes. Admittedly, I'm a weird-o minimalist).

In the alternative, something "quintessentially NZ" would also be a viable option.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Hey, Gwamma - we're in the US in May as well! Flying in to Chicago in mid-May, driving to Urbana-Champaign (love the name) for a conference, then driving to Toronto to visit a university there, and back to Chicago. About 3 and a half weeks we think. I've only been once before - to the same conference, but took the kids and went to Disneyland. This time it's just the two of us. Bit nervous about driving on the wrong side of the road!!

The blankets look fantastic everyone!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Hey, Gwamma - we're in the US in May as well! Flying in to Chicago in mid-May, driving to Urbana-Champaign (love the name) for a conference, then driving to Toronto to visit a university there, and back to Chicago. About 3 and a half weeks we think. I've only been once before - to the same conference, but took the kids and went to Disneyland. This time it's just the two of us. Bit nervous about driving on the wrong side of the road!!

The blankets look fantastic everyone!
    Jac - welcome back. I hope that you are well and had a wonderful relaxing time over Christmas and New Year.
    That is sooooo funny..... us Kiwis could go half way round the world to meet !!!!!!!!!! We could have a party. In fact Mr Perf has invited me to the mosh pit.....are you up for that Jac ???????? it could be fun...........dangerous..........but fun LOL

...small steps....

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast