Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Look out america........................ page 4

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    The three states on the left coast (west coast) all have substantially higher than federal minimum wage, with ORegon close to $9. Of course trying to find a job in OR is like trying to find a potential husband in a gay bar.
    In San Francisco it's over $10/hr. There have been thousands laid-off and the unemployment has skyrocketed.

Kidding.

The UE rate in SF is lower than the national average.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Mr Perfidy and Joanie, that seems so unfair, such a low minimum,
    Does it? lol

If minimum wages were higher than no one would hire people with current minimum-wage level skills. With a low or no minimum wage, anyone can get a job anywhere really. If it were high, then employers would be more selective and make more demands. I bet I'd have to get drug tested and shit to be able to put a hot dog in a bun in a parking lot. Fuck that.

however what is the cost of living like ????? Always relative I suppose.
    in places where I've lived, I would have to answer, "unbearable." But I live in NJ and have lived in NY and have a lot of friends in Philly, and believe that this region is generally more expensive and less indicative of the nation as a whole.

It is literally not mathematically possible to make minumum wage and pay rent though anywhere that I have ever rented an apartment (and I always search for the cheapest ones available) unless you only work and sleep. Most rent is paid by couples or by roommates who share expenses, so that there is something left to buy food and internet access and cable. Not that most workers make minimum wage, but most wage jobs around here start you at or near it, and you are lucky to get a 25cent raise in a year.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

valmason01 is online now Senior Member
    Gwamma I am in the south (Florida) but welcome to America! I can't wait to hear all of your adventures..Anytime you want to come down south, we would love to have you!
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    Gwamma I am in the south (Florida) but welcome to America! I can't wait to hear all of your adventures..Anytime you want to come down south, we would love to have you!
    Valmason - you wee sweet thing. DD went down to Florida last year and loved the place. I think she did a theme park ????
    I don't think that we will be heading that far south this trip - however things change all the time in my camp !!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    Does it? lol
    I think our minimum wage at the moment is approx $13.50/hour.
    This isn't a huge amount, however people do make it work. One of the problems that we do have in NZ is people head out into the country for cheaper housing/rent but don't understand that it ends up costing more to live because food is more expensive, fuel to get into the service towns is more etc...
    all relative I suppose

...small steps....

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    The numbers are relative to each other sure. Broke's broke.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Marthat - no I am not fast by any means, however I still have a few months. I am thinking knitted squares in different colours, then crochet around each square with black, then sew all together ???? the jury is still out.
    Here's one of the ideas that I would love to do someday.

Ravelry: POP blanket pattern by tincanknits

If you're looking for ideas, this Ravelry site is the most amazing resource on the net. www.ravelry.com Happy knitting!

okay so another question would be....
    ... what brands of common foods are reputable ???? I am sure they will be different to NZ brands............
    ie - people talk about kerrygold butter - is that a brand of butter ?????
    Jerky ? Nuts ? etc....
    and another............
    What restaurants would offer decent primal fare ???

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    Here's one of the ideas that I would love to do someday.

Ravelry: POP blanket pattern by tincanknits

If you're looking for ideas, this Ravelry site is the most amazing resource on the net. www.ravelry.com Happy knitting!
    that looks very clever - I love it

one of the blankets that I am working on for myself at the moment

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/...blanket002.jpg

If you can imagine the squares being crocheted together with black wool, to make a queen sized blanket

and here is one that I made whilst travelling around the world a few years ago......

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/...blanket004.jpg

this blanket is sitting on a super king sized bed.

in fact I couldn't believe how I got my huge metal needles through customs every time (auckland, Heathrow, Canada, San Fran, Denmark, Ireland). These are 6" metal ends on a length of cat gut - so not only was I going onto each plane with two possible stabbing devices, but a garrote as well !!!!!!

...small steps....

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Next question - I do not understand the tipping system. In fact when we were in the UK a few years ago, we ate at a restaurant and didn't realise that we had to tip - as we left we heard the head honcho say "bloody Australians" !!!!!!! We laughed long and hard over that one.... sorry Australia, Us Kiwis are happy for you to take the rap sometimes !!!!!!
    Tipping in Canada is typically 10-15% (of the pre-tax total). Servers make minimum wage here, which is in the $10/hr range, so tipping is lower than in the US. I like to tip in cash like someone else mentioned. HST is 12%, so I just round that up.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast