Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Look out america........................ page 23

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Mr P Sir - Buggar..... Gwamma is in Vancouver on the 18th May................ I would have loved to have pegged me a man with a water balloon......praps next time !
    actually it brings a song to mind..........
    I have pegged me a man with a water balloooo-oooon
    I have pegged me a man...............
    Tall and gentle ...............
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    actually it brings a song to mind..........
    I have pegged me a man with a water balloooo-oooon
    I have pegged me a man...............
    Tall and gentle ...............
    you know that song
    .....I have loved me a man like my mama loved..........I have loved me a man...............

...small steps....

9 more sleeps...................
    someone suggested to me not to bring hundie green backs - because they could be counterfeit. Should I be trying to change my hundies for fifties before I come over ?????? or does it cost to change money in a bank in America ???????

...small steps....

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I am confused...if you are bringing them, why would you be worried about them being counterfeit? Wouldn't that be a concern where you got the money? I am assuming that you got your Benjamins from some kind of bank in Australia, right? They have fake american money in regular-ass foreign banks?

You shouldn't bring hundreds though because mad people are suspicious about them and assume they are counterfeit, like assholes.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Hundreds are often difficult to cash at stores, restaurants, etc, particularly if you are hitting smaller towns and out of the way places that don't do a lot of tourist business. Even fifties can be difficult to use sometimes. Try to travel with some twenties, that is the unit most often used here.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Gwamma, I'd check with my credit card company for conversion fees. It might be easiest to bring as little cash as possible and do everything on your credit card. Just about every business uses credit and/or debit cards. Honestly, on a daily basis, I hardly ever use cash. And if you're using Mastercard or VISA, they're international companies whose system does the conversion at point of sale and adds their specific conversion fee.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Gwamma, some banks do an international card which you can load a certain foreign currency on at a set exchange rate at this end, whic you then just use as a debit card when travelling. Gets around the conversion and interest rates in your credit card, and lets you set your budget for your trip.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badkty22 View Post
    Hundreds are often difficult to cash at stores, restaurants, etc, particularly if you are hitting smaller towns and out of the way places that don't do a lot of tourist business. Even fifties can be difficult to use sometimes. Try to travel with some twenties, that is the unit most often used here.
    This ^. I was surprised a number of years ago when I returned to the US on a vacation from my apartment in Germany, back when I lived there - I exchanged some then-Deutsch marks for greenbacks at a big-name bank in Germany just so I would have a couple of hundred for a few days upon landing, and immediately discovered that -nobody- would take my hundreds over here. My friends had to explain to me that that was standard procedure now in the US, what with counterfeiters and the drug trade.

Fast forward to today in my Podunk town, and many local stores are now using those yellow "is this bill counterfeit?" marker pens to swipe bills as small as fives! Not eeeeeeveryplace, mind you, but enough that it makes me wonder if the retailers are all going batshit-paranoid all at the same time, or if it is for cause, what the hell this country has come to.

Gwamma - if you are going to stick to a lot of back roads, I will tell you that not all places where you could spend your money will take credit, either, so you will need a mix of payment options. Around here, for example, are a few cash-only places, especially at farmer's markets and farm stands. But yeah, otherwise credit will get you through most purchases.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

thanx guys. I am not so concerned that it is counterfeit, more concerned that buisnesses in America will think its counterfeit. Anyhoo I might change a couple of hundies to smaller ones before I come over.
    Either that or I could buy some BIG purchases !!!!!! now theres a thought. When we went to Canada years ago, I found a mammoth tusk in an antique store - I loved that tusk - but couldn't afford the $3000 Canadian pricetag !!!!!!! and still wouldn't be able to - however what prised piece that would be on the dining room table !!!!!!
    We also sent DD over to America with an AirNZ card. That has been a godsend. I can easily put money on it this end, and as much as she could have easily spent heaps - she has been incredibly frugal. So yay for DD !!!!!

...small steps....

Patti is offline Senior Member
    While 20's are the largest commonly used bill, US banks won't charge you anything to "break" your 100's into smaller bills if you already have them.

How many sleeps are left? Have you chosen your crochet project yet?

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast