Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Look out america........................ page 2

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Since it will be May, the farmer's markets and roadside stands will be just opening at that latitude, so I would buy a hard-shell cooler and chuck it in the trunk of the car - ice machines are everywhere, especially gas stations - and just take every opportunity to stop for a look-see. If you buy a box of plastic gallon size freezer bags, the ice can go in there, double-bagged, and then your stuff won't get wet. Just dump the melt water on some dried-up foliage and reuse the bags.

Grocery stores are in every county, but unless you go upscale in the city or hit a health food store, they will be full of the kind of stuff Primals avoid, but if you are starving, they will also do in a pinch. I think you would have better experiences asking the locals where they like to go for some good meat if your plan is to stay off the beaten path. For example, I live in the sticks - 10 miles from the nearest chance to buy anything, and the only grocery store there (the county seat) pretty much stinks... but 1/2 mile down the street from that grocery is a neat little BBQ joint, good food at a decent price.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think the blanket is such a lovely idea - very from the heart and I think a family that takes exchange students would love it! As to teens, I haven't a clue.

You should be able to eat okay (if not grass-fed/wild) at grocery stores along the way or at diners, you should be able to get salads and plain cuts of meat or eggs. Signs along the road that read: Food/Gas/Lodging are often good for more variety, though that's not a given - you might get off the road only to find one motel, one gas station, and one mini mart or McD. Often you can tell by the names on the sign if it's a busy or one-horse stop.

If you spend any time in Seattle, and I hope you do since it's a gorgeous city, check out Pike Place Market - a little touristy, but also a fantastic fresh food market.

My last road trip was ~2000 miles, and I did well with a cooler - not sure what you call these in NZ. Can be as inexpensive as a styrofoam box with a lid or as pricey as insulated with wheels and a handle. Put in some ice (can be purchased at almost any gas station) and it will keep your primal food pretty well. I stocked up on dryer meats like salami, french cheeses, olives, pickles, etc., and avoided a lot of fast food.

Not sure if any of that helps, but I'm delighted that you're adventuring by road - it's a great way to see the States. Vancouver to Seattle, I'd ask your travel agent. If not, there should be a Visitors' Bureau in Vancouver that can help you.

I so hope you have a blast!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Crabs and Joanie, It will be fantastic, althou the hand brake is coming along !!!!!!!!LOL seriously thou, I cannot wait to get over there, but I just need to do my homework. Being farmers I can just see DH doing the "head on up some randoms driveway - just to say hi " !!!!! not quite sure how America wil take the heathens from the colonies..... but will soon find out !!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Actually Crabs - how are the whanau ??? I read your journey every so often - but never ask THE question. Sorry - too wrapped up in my own stuff !!!!
    Joanie how is all with you ???
    I need to get me a map of America - so I can actually see where you all come from !!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Actually Crabs - how are the whanau ??? I read your journey every so often - but never ask THE question. Sorry - too wrapped up in my own stuff !!!!
    Joanie how is all with you ???
    I need to get me a map of America - so I can actually see where you all come from !!!!
    Ummm, Gwamma, I would love to answer you, but what are "whanau"?

If you both are as sweet in real life as you are here on the MDA, then, being farmers combined with those Kiwi accents, you both will be HUGE hits with the country-dwelling crowd over here! Just be prepared to get called "English" or "British" a lot; outside of a rare few folks I doubt most will be able to ID the accent. And a lot of folks are quite shaky on their geography - I was hugely ignorant straight out of the honors program at my high school, and didn't even know it, until I went to Germany and saw how geography-literate the Europeans are!!

Some oddball stuff I am thinking...
    - If you do not know US weights and measures, you might want to study up - kills my metric-raised German cousins every time
    - Absolutely DO get a paper book-style US atlas the minute you hit Seattle - one that has more detailed info on each state. Out here where I live, GPS can't always accurately find our house, even though we are a little more than a mile off of a state route, for example. Any bookstore will have them and AAA offices always have fold-out maps of each state (it is part of their job)
    - For a fun time, ask the locals everywhere you go if there are any "fairs or festivals" going on at the moment, and then go and spend a few hours visiting! We have an astounding array of little, local celebrations going on in the country all the time over here celebrating everything from strawberries to historic events and historic buildings to anything at all like tractors or motorcycle weekends.
    - All county seats will have a "Tourism and Convention Center" office and they will know EVERYTHING about a place, from where the local emergency room is to where the best BBQ can be had, to where the farms and ranches are, to all public activities, if you happen to meet up with locals who don't seem to know much that day
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I'd love a handmade blanket! I think something handmade would be awesome.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    A quilt would be an amazing gift. I took in a year-long exchange student from Germany a few years ago and know the amount of work involved. They would be thrilled. I'd suggest you get your daughter to surreptitiously take a few pictures of their bedroom (if you are planning a bed quilt), and their living room (if you are thinking couch quilt). Then you can confirm the size of the beds and the colours.

Just a warning that the latest trend, in the past 10 years or so, is to go for really deep mattresses and box springs, making beds very tall. It's a North American thing, but it impacts on the size of quilt if you want it to cover properly. Get your daughter to check out the height of their bed, too. I'm not kidding (I'm a quilter, too, so I know of what I speak!) - some of these beds need a footstool to climb into! Means really wide borders on your quilt...

Your peacock-based colour scheme sounds fabulous. And what a trip!

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    My first thought for a gift was a hand made quilt as well.

Also, do you have any books there meant for travel tips in the US from your point of view? These books have been quite helpful to us when we travel.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    we are going on a 1 week cruise around Alaska - to begin. I am sure that my eating will be well catered for...then we get ourselves from Vancouver to Seattle.
    Do we take the bus, train ?????
    In Seattle we pick up the rental car.
    I have said to DH that I refuse to drive on the WRONG side of the road. In NZ we are used to driving on the correct side, not the right side LOL
    We have already bought the Tomtom thingy on the internet to get us around America - so that is sorted.
    Then we drive from Seattle to Indiana - no small feat.... and we are farmers, so we would like to take the byway - not the highway. Where does one stay. What small town motels are nice, but not too expensive ?????
    more questions to come
    There IS a scenic train tour from Vancouver to Seattle.
    Amtrak Cascades

Otherwise the bus or rental car are your options.

Do you have much time in Vancouver?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Come to a show in NJ and I will show yous how to mosh. That'd be awesome. War dance!
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast