Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Look out america........................ page 16

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    When coming to a stop, the school bus will first flash yellow lights then red lights. Most buses are also equipped with two little signs on either side that flap out - they contain the word Stop. When they are stopped, traffic in both directions must stop. Once they're moving again, they're just another vehicle.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Crabbcakes is online now Senior Member
    There are situations where you can actually keep on going, for example if the road is four lanes (two coming and two going) and the bus is stopped on the other side of the road - but that is Ohio. And also since most bus routes are such that the kids will get off on the same side of the road as their houses are. But since you are not familiar with the little intricacies of traffic around school buses a l'americaine, I highly recommend you just stop. Maybe some dork will honk at you, but at least you won't court the danger of getting a ticket, and parents like me actually appreciate the gesture, even if you could actually legally go.

My only school bus kid has developmental disabilities, and sometimes she still makes a run for it as she is dropped off, even though she isn't allowed off the bus without an adult (or damn near that age) family member there.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    thanx guys - the other option is to make sure we are not driving around bus time. Does school get out at about 3pm ????

DH and I have had a couple of small domestics over the driving in America. I am not prepared to drive on the WRONG side of the road, encounter a panic situation, and end up killing or maiming us both. However DH is very adaptable - so he will cope just fine. The problem is that I also don't read maps in a moving vehicle - cos I just might end up tasting breaky twice !!!!!!
    I have been told that the distances are indeed HUGE !!!!!! and when you get onto a freeway, its really easy driving for miles and miles - so maybe I will just drive on the freeway ?
    Can you pull over and stop on the freeway ????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

marthat is offline Senior Member
    No, don't stop on freeways. There are rest stops along most freeways, but maybe not where you are going. I would highly suggest you invest in a GPS as well as maps. They are quite the ticket when exploring new places and will give you security about where to turn, etc. And they talk to you - you don't have to study them.

GPS's aren't idiot-proof - you still need to know roughly where you are going, as they sometimes take you along the most direct route, even if it's a dirt sideroad. So maps are still advisable.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    thanx guys - the other option is to make sure we are not driving around bus time. Does school get out at about 3pm ????

DH and I have had a couple of small domestics over the driving in America. I am not prepared to drive on the WRONG side of the road, encounter a panic situation, and end up killing or maiming us both. However DH is very adaptable - so he will cope just fine. The problem is that I also don't read maps in a moving vehicle - cos I just might end up tasting breaky twice !!!!!!
    I have been told that the distances are indeed HUGE !!!!!! and when you get onto a freeway, its really easy driving for miles and miles - so maybe I will just drive on the freeway ?
    Can you pull over and stop on the freeway ????
    Is a "small domestic" KiwiSpeak for an argument??

School gets out anywhere from about 2 p.m. onwards, and buses run until 4 - 4:30 p.m. I honestly wouldn't worry about getting held up too awful much - it becomes a drag normally only in densely populated areas/neighborhoods, and you won't find yourselves traveling through the 'burbs and neighborhoods unless you are completely lost or are intentionally there to visit somebody, and then you just have to deal with it in order to see your friends.

Yes, it is physically possible to stop on the freeway, but not recommended - only disabled cars and cars carrying people having emergencies of some kind are okay to stop. If you do stop, a police cruiser will shortly pull up behind you to ascertain the nature of the emergency, even if you haven't called them. There are such things as "rest stops" though, and these are marked by big signs along the highway. I am not talking about a full-blown truck stop here - these are places run by the highway department of the state you are crossing, with parking lots, toilet facilities, a lawn where you can walk the dog or run the kids, typically a picnic table or two, trash cans, a water fountain, and some vending machines and a map wall (that will show you all the rest stops along the highway you are currently on, and sometimes others on different highways as well).
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

thanx guys. DH bought a new GPS as soon as we booked our tickets, and he has already bought and downloaded America onto it.
    So he is on the ball there.
    I am slowly getting this blanket done. I will post a picky as soon as it has been completed.

...small steps....

What I wanted to add, before hubster phoned in just now (as he is currently on I-80 in Pennsylvania on his way to New Jersey), is that you can google-search the terms "rest stops Ohio" or "rest stops Indiana", etc., and get to the official state website lists and maps of rest stops. That way you can plan ahead the night before in the comfort of your hotel room using the hotel's wifi. The web addresses vary, but all of them are some variation on:

www.(various).us
    (especially if the letters ".dot" are in the address, as DOT stands for Department of Transportation)
    OR
    www.(various).gov

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Gwamma, driving the highways is actually easier than once you pull off into a city. I think I missed whether or not you're bringing a laptop. If you are, google maps and mapquest are very easy to use. You put in your starting point and your destination, and voila! your own individual road map. You can do it for the whole trip or break it down into pieces.

My last trip (Oregon to Louisiana), the only place where there was a really long distance between rest stops was either Arizona or New Mexico (I forget which), but there were signs indicating "last rest stop for 136 miles."

Just in case the gps gets weird.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    comin to Philly gwamma? I will meet you there. This sunday is a smoke-out civil disobedience demonstration- a bunch of us are going to smoke blunts at the Liberty Bell. You should get it on that
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    comin to Philly gwamma? I will meet you there. This sunday is a smoke-out civil disobedience demonstration- a bunch of us are going to smoke blunts at the Liberty Bell. You should get it on that
    thank you for the invite mr. Perfidy Sir - but I am not sure what a smoke out civil disobedience demonstration is ????? and smoking blunts at the liberty bell ??????

...small steps....

Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast