Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Look out america........................ page 13

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    okay so no All blacks gear
    any ideas ???
    and also the 17/18 year old daughter is into Pagents, but other than that - what do I bring over for her ???
    and all you gorgeous American people who are gonna make me coffee - what do I bring for you ???
    and the lovely guy who stops us on the street and asks to marry me - what do I give to him???
    and the big burly american guy who gives Dh the finger because he going to slow in the fast lane - what do I bring for him???
    and Hillary Clinton when I go and give her advice on how not to wear her hair - what I give to her ????
    and little red riding hood when I suggest that the wolf has really huge teeth and she doesn't listen to me, and gets eaten up - what do I give to her..........................

and praps I had best stop
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    okay so no All blacks gear
    any ideas ???
    and also the 17/18 year old daughter is into Pagents, but other than that - what do I bring over for her ???
    and all you gorgeous American people who are gonna make me coffee - what do I bring for you ???
    and the lovely guy who stops us on the street and asks to marry me - what do I give to him???
    and the big burly american guy who gives Dh the finger because he going to slow in the fast lane - what do I bring for him???
    and Hillary Clinton when I go and give her advice on how not to wear her hair - what I give to her ????
    and little red riding hood when I suggest that the wolf has really huge teeth and she doesn't listen to me, and gets eaten up - what do I give to her..........................

and praps I had best stop
    From teenage boys I know nothing - give their mother a cage to keep them in until they're house-broken.

Pageant girl: A gift certificate to Tiaras R Us?

Folks offering coffee: some valium to decrease the jitters.

Big burly guy flashing finger: Flash him your breasts.

Hillary Clinton: tell her JoanieL is going to steal that man from her someday, so she'd better be doin' him like he likes being done. (I.e., advice.)

Little Red Riding Hood: fashion advice.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

thank you Joanie - those were exactly what I was thinking !!!!!!!

...small steps....

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I would say that getting them NZ made things would be good. they don't even have to be that iconic.

Lothlorian products have been very popular with my family. My parents and ILs all have socks, mittens, and fingerless gloves; DH and I have a sweater each (mine is a pancho), and we also have socks. They really are great socks.

They have a lot of nice scarves as well, with some "very new zealand" patterns. And, we sent one of our friends one of these -- since we're all so "connected" emotionally to the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films.

There is also a great market in wellington -- the underground market at frank kitts park -- where a lot of local crafts people (including weta artists) sell their own product. They have really nice leather journals and bags, wallets and stuff -- as well as various items of clothing and just really interesting things in general.

To keep it simple, you might go for some paua jewelry or some of the maori stone/bone carving stuff. Perhaps even some hair sticks if the girls have longer hair (i find these harder to find here, but there are some carvers who make them).

I recommend just keeping it as simple as you can. Carved jewelry can be hung on the wall rather than worn, or put in a frame, you know?

thanx Zoebird - great ideas

...small steps....

Alright my gorgeous americanites - how does one wash clothes in America - when one is travelling ?????
    When we went to the UK a few years ago, there were like NO laundromats anywhere and washing clothes was a nightmare !!!!!!!
    So any ideas on that one ?????

...small steps....

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Laundromats are on the decline (I think there's only one left in wellington), but many hotels might have laundry areas. You can call or email ahead to find out. Some might also know where you can do laundry along the way. And, you can use the internet to find laundries in towns where you'll be staying -- which is another option.

Some hotels provide service. It costs more, but it's easy enough -- you drop the laundry at the desk and it's often cleaned for you by the morning. so that might be an option as well.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Alright my gorgeous americanites - how does one wash clothes in America - when one is travelling ?????
    When we went to the UK a few years ago, there were like NO laundromats anywhere and washing clothes was a nightmare !!!!!!!
    So any ideas on that one ?????
    Lotsa laundromats in the US, tho. Just google them ahead of time to find their location in/near the towns in which you will be staying. You will need rolls of quarters from the bank - most regular loads cost usd 1.25 or 1.50 per load, the big machines cost more - and the machines eat only quarters. Each roll of quarters comes in a paper tube that equals usd 10.00. Dryers cost 25 cents per unit of time (10 minutes) but you will need at least three units to dry a regular-ish load, perhaps more for thicker fabrics like towels.

My favorite laundromat name of all time - "The Lost Sock"
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Also the front desk clerk at a motel, or the concierge at a hotel can recommend a close one. Actually, these folks can be your best friend when traveling. I had a cat with me on my last long trip, so I stayed at motels and the front desk folks always knew where to eat, where to get cheap gas, who delivered food to the motel, etc.

Motel 6 which is a large chain that had a (deservedly) horrid reputation in the 70s and 80s has totally turned it around. They are trying to be family friendly now, so no hookers by the ice dispenser. Some have pools and laundry facilities. At most of them, the wifi was free, and at the one that did charge, it was only $2.50. Clean and safe, which is all I really wanted after 7-9 hours of driving each day.

Try to avoid M/Hotels with names like "No One Gets Out Alive," even if you're exhausted and they advertise laundry facilities. *chuckle*
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

LOL - I love it ......... actually I don't think DH will be extending his overdraft any time soon to include a concierged hotel !!!!!!!

and I love the horror stories. Actually I really don't do horror movies, but the odd thriller has dodgy motels - so I really have no idea what to expect.
    When we stayed in San Fran - the motel was lovely but there were some really weird characters staying there - us included.
    In fact this really tall 6'4" woman came into breaky with a short short skirt, high high heals on. When she bent over to pour her milk into the bowl I got a look at her very hairy arse, and on closer inspection noticed her 5 o'clock shadow................... It just doesn't happin in NZ - well I never see it. And I am not really judging, it was just a huge eye opener.
    It will be fun !!!!!!!

...small steps....

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast