Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to replace fat with muscle but not lose weight, advice please page 2

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Also, think about dropping the cardio. Depending on what you are doing, it can help with fat loss, but it will detract from your muscle gain, and that sounds like more of a priority for you at the moment. The strength training is going to help you more with your goals than most cardio plans.

smashtime is offline Junior Member
    eKatherine, thanks, yeh it definitely won't hurt, believe me lol. the way I feel at the moment I want to lose as much fat as possible, and just feel better about myself.

smashtime is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Also, think about dropping the cardio. Depending on what you are doing, it can help with fat loss, but it will detract from your muscle gain, and that sounds like more of a priority for you at the moment. The strength training is going to help you more with your goals than most cardio plans.
    Yeh i'm doing MMA circuit training, and can't really drop the cardio, but its not cardio per se, like running or rowing or cycling, its strength and endurance training all in one workout.

sarah13 is offline Junior Member
    Hi,

I'm having the same problem although I don't think my metabolism is as fast as the girl who posted this! Since starting the Primal diet about 3 weeks ago I have seen the fat literally drop off my stomach and hips - Im very slim anyway, 55kg and 5 foot 7, but I looked too slim before so have been trying to gain lean muscle and definition, and it's not really working so far. On a typical day I have an apple and 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast or sheeps milk yoghurt and nuts, with 1 tsp coconut oil in my tea in the morning, then snack on a handful of almonds whilst at work (I have a very sedentary job), then for lunch I have a huge primal salad with about 1tbs olive oil or avocado oil, and 100-120g lean meat or chicken or some other fish, and sometimes I throw in half an avocado. I workout 4-5 times a week in the evenings after work, usually 20-30 minutes cardio at no more than 60-70% of my maximum heart rate, then I do bodyweight exercises for 40 minutes, use the viper/weights/kettlebellss/trx etc.

For dinner its usually 1 sweet potato or other carby veg, with lots of chicken or a whole fish such as mackerel, and I load up on veg. I can't seem to put on any muscle though? on fitday I usually get 1000 calories so maybe this is much too low for my height and age, should I be adding in more carbs or upping my fat and protein? I reckon I get about 40 g protein average a day, and 40-50g fat and about 100g carbs.
    thankyou I would really appreciate any advice!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It takes time to grow new muscle. It's a long-term project.

You should probably be eating 80g or more of protein a day to gain muscle. 40g is not enough.

sarah13 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks EKatherine you are probably right - yesterday I had 90g protein!
    I'm still not gaining weight despite eating more calories, does anyone else have this problem? I think it's to do with not enough carbohydrates especially after I exercise in the evenings, I'm having oats for breakfast with nuts etc and lots of starchy veg...Im thinking about drinking full fat organic milk now, as since cutting out milk (apart from yoghurt and cheese occasionally) I definitely noticed that I lost weight, although I cant be sure it was from the milk. I used to have it in my tea several times a day so not sure that I was actually drinking THAT much. I might get some kefir too, anyone tried this?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Some people need to eat a lot more calories to gain weight than others. It is a very individual thing.

Your body is inefficient in its utilization of calories.

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Agree with the others, lift heavy! HEAVY!

My weight has stayed almost the same for 6 months but my body has changed hugely. (You can click the journal link in my signature for photos)

It takes time but just every now and then you're sort of like WOAH when did that muscle get there. Especially because as females we are so use to looking to the scales for validation.

I barely ever weigh myself now.

Go get em girl
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah13 View Post
    55kg and 5 foot 7

I workout 4-5 times a week in the evenings after work, usually 20-30 minutes cardio at no more than 60-70% of my maximum heart rate, then I do bodyweight exercises for 40 minutes, use the viper/weights/kettlebellss/trx etc.

I usually get 1000 calories
    You're not going to gain muscle eating at a severe caloric deficit. Add in all of the exercise you're doing, and you are not fueling yourself properly to even maintain your weight, nevermind gaining muscle -- so no wonder you're losing so much.

Eat more. Lift. Figure out how much you should actually be eating and eat that.
    Health-calc - Energy expenditure adv.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12