Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal cure for alcohol addiction page

Rasputina is offline Senior Member

Primal cure for alcohol addiction

Shop Now
    ??
    Last edited by Rasputina; 02-02-2013 at 03:00 PM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Nora Gedgaudas claims that being ketogenic/VLC can cure alcohol cravings, that they're basically supercharged sugar cravings. What style of Primal are you doing now, and have you tried nutritional ketosis?

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    Have any of you conquered alcoholism/alcohol abuse since going primal?
    I may be totally missing the mark by jumping in here. I'm not an alcoholic however, up until recently, I would have a glass or two of red wine most nights. Recently, I started the Shandrala diet (there's a thread on here), which entails taking in 2-3 Tbsps of oil during the day --- the purpose of ingesting the oil is to curb snacking, cravings and reduce total caloric intake. I've been taking the oil for two weeks now. My personal experience is that not only does it suppress appetite, but I have NO desire to snack and I have no cravings for carbs, sugar, wheat etc. What has come as a surprise to me, is my aversion for red wine. I'm completely off drinking because the taste does no appeal to me. Perhaps Paleo + Shangrala is a positive combination for others who would like to either drink less or remove alcohol on a more permanent basis.

As an aside, I have also started crossfitting 3x per week, and the physical training has me so tired that the thought of a glass of wine is quite repulsive. I'm drinking more water than ever before and sleeping like a baby.

Sorry if this posting doesn't complete address your question, but thought I would my own personal experience with taking ELOO (Extra Light Olive Oil) 2 x per day. By the way, big thanks to Heatseeker who first posted this information about Shangrala. /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'm out of ideas, but wish you all the luck in the world in finding a solution.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    I was a heavy social drinker before starting Primal. My last alcohol was Dec 31, and I went Primal Jan 1. I don't know about "curing alcoholism", but I personally do not crave it at all. I would be comfortable having a glass of wine with supper, or equally comfortable saying that I will never drink again if that's what I chose.

Right now I'm leaning towards the latter.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Have you looked into L-glutamine and chromium to help with alcohol cravings? Julia Ross in her book, The Diet Cure, recommends:
    "For fast,emergency relief of carbohydrates and/or alcohol cravings, take 500 milligrams of L-glutamine by opening a capsule under your tongue."

She also states that, ''too much sugar, white flour and alcohol block us from absorbing the chromium that would stop the yo-yo blood sugars and carb cravings."

Zach is offline Banned
    Why would you think anything having to do with diet would cure you of an addiction to a drug? Like any other addiction, its up to you to quit. There might be other aspects of life that you need to change in order to do so. Why do you drink?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if this is a coincidence, but if I drink/take a little ACV toward late afternoon, I'm not as in the mood to drink in the evening. But straight up primal hasn't really made me feel different in any real sense except the lower carb factor has definitely curbed my appetite. Which is a great thing.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hey Rasputina <3

I think to deal with alcoholism you have to really look at addiction. From my experience there's a big difference between dependency and addiction - the triggers in an addiction are much more complex.

What environmental triggers make you want to drink? From arguments, frustrations at work, family stuff (you mentioned your family are ill), being in bars with friends, to lack of sleep, hunger, being cold.

What emotions do the triggers give rise to? These are what you're trying to escape from with alcohol.

When was the first time you felt like this?

I think you can do a lot of work by yourself but the right therapist will help you in leaps and bounds. Psychotherapy is great IMO.

Look at how you're eating and how that impacts upon your mood, your sleep, or any other factors that trigger you wanting to drink. I don't think this is a nutritional thing, but how youre eating will have a knock on effect on the rest of your life, and if the effect is negative, it could make you vulnerable to your inner demons.

Sending you big hugs...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Why would you think anything having to do with diet would cure you of an addiction to a drug? Like any other addiction, its up to you to quit. There might be other aspects of life that you need to change in order to do so. Why do you drink?
    Now you have totally exposed yourself as an uninformed, misguided troll. If you knew even the slightest bit about alcoholism you would realize how stupid and unanswerable your last question is.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast