Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Primal cure for alcohol addiction page 9

thedannymartin is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Arrggggghhhh, how mad can one thread make you!

This is going to seem really arrogant but when it comes to talking about alcoholism, an addiction to a drug so powerful it can rip families apart and destroy lives, then only people from inside the issue should offer advice, seriously.

It took me 5 years, 2 rehabs (one for 11 months) to finally find freedom and begin my sober life. People confuse heavy drinking with alcoholism, completely not the same thing. I used to work with a guy who drank 10 pints of strong lager a night, every night, but alcohol did not control his life. He was just a social drinker who drank too much for his health. A few years ago the doctor told him to stop for a month and he did. No problem, no withdrawal, nothing.

AA is an answer for some, but others not. But please people stop with your 'just stop drinking, mind over matter, if you want to stop you will' bull-crap.

An alcoholic knows no rationale, we will do anything to drink, forsaking family, kids, money, law - anything. It controls every second we are awake, and we rarely sleep. The remorse chews at us, so we drink more to slay it. Alcoholism wants to get an alcoholic in a corner and kill them. It takes a massive effort to fight back, and this thread has wound me up for some people's lack of understanding for the ball breaking journey any alcoholic faces to recover.

If it was a quick fix, then we would all have loads of stories about people who are alcoholics one day and the next not. And we don't... in fact in 10 years of alcoholism and recovery and meeting thousands of addicts (a lot of them now dead) I have not met one person for whom recover and sobriety was a quick fix bumper sticker slogan.

All is good now though, huzzah.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedannymartin View Post
    But please people stop with your 'just stop drinking, mind over matter, if you want to stop you will' bull-crap.
    When I bring up "will power" or "discipline" to my shrink she would respond with "how's the working out for you?". That answer was alway "not very well". That's because discipline is overrated. And its usually something used to beat over someone over the head, or beat ourselves over the head.

Whether alcoholism, depression, anxiety, etc.....our minds are labyrinths and making our way out take effort, illumination, patience and tenacity. None of these should be confused with discipline.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    BOY I SURE GOT TOLD BY THIS WHITE KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR

Seriously, dude, before you attempt to look any more foolish by trying to play forum hero, read over my original posts. I even received PM's from people apologizing for the way I was attacked on the OP's behalf in this thread, because they genuinely thought I offered helpful advice. People are stubborn and close-minded. If you take this as provoking, you haven't seen anything.
    Oh get real, anyone who has read more than a dozen of your pathetic posts wouldnt give a shit what you (zach alterego, tag team, whatever) think.

You troll here.

To label it as if you are thought provoking is utter bullshit.

and in response to your next post on thread, I doubt anyone gives too shits what you eat. Die from CW related food diseases for all I care. Just stop trolling a decent forum looking for a reaction. Its not provoking, its pathetic. Get a fucking life

This is going to seem really arrogant but when it comes to talking about alcoholism, an addiction to a drug so powerful it can rip families apart and destroy lives, then only people from inside the issue should offer advice, seriously.

It took me 5 years, 2 rehabs (one for 11 months) to finally find freedom and begin my sober life. People confuse heavy drinking with alcoholism, completely not the same thing. I used to work with a guy who drank 10 pints of strong lager a night, every night, but alcohol did not control his life. He was just a social drinker who drank too much for his health. A few years ago the doctor told him to stop for a month and he did. No problem, no withdrawal, nothing.

AA is an answer for some, but others not. But please people stop with your 'just stop drinking, mind over matter, if you want to stop you will' bull-crap.

An alcoholic knows no rationale, we will do anything to drink, forsaking family, kids, money, law - anything. It controls every second we are awake, and we rarely sleep. The remorse chews at us, so we drink more to slay it. Alcoholism wants to get an alcoholic in a corner and kill them. It takes a massive effort to fight back, and this thread has wound me up for some people's lack of understanding for the ball breaking journey any alcoholic faces to recover.

If it was a quick fix, then we would all have loads of stories about people who are alcoholics one day and the next not. And we don't... in fact in 10 years of alcoholism and recovery and meeting thousands of addicts (a lot of them now dead) I have not met one person for whom recover and sobriety was a quick fix bumper sticker slogan.

Thank you. Well said.

Those people who don't know what addiction is about should stop calling people pathetic and just piss off.

I guess I better have a diet of eggs, pig fat, bacon, butter, muscle meat and avocados then I can say whatever I want around here and it won't be provoking and I won't need to get a life because I'll be part of the fat adapted secret club.

I guess this about sums everything you said up.
    just go join a 20 bananna a day forum then

you can't even give up grains and sugars and you call addictions pathetic!

you can't even DO primal

come back with your pathetic input when you know the science and have the willpower to give up sugar - how pathetic indeed...where's your willpower troll?

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    I'm not sure that a diet/lifestyle can 'cure' an addiction to be honest. From my own experience (and this is only MY experience), I misused alcohol for about 11 years and I also had anorexia. These coping mechanisms stemmed from stuff that happened in childhood.

However, over the years, everytime stress would come into my life I would turn to the drink - so that could be a stressful day at work, meaning I'd have either a glass or bottle of wine in one sitting, to my divorce a few years back which had me drinking a bottle of wine most nights and blacking out.

I've been in therapy for over a year now and over Christmas I decided to have a 'dry' January because I'd gotten fed up of using the alcohol and I also feel I didn't need to use it any more, thanks to the work I did in therapy. I have not had a drink since and am now considering abstaining all together, because I have found I can now cope with life without the alcohol.

I haven't seen all the replies, but have you considered therapy? Maybe there are things that need to be got off your chest and talking to someone impartial can sometimes help with that?
    I have a similar reaction to stress. Yet I can go months without. Yet...it is my go to for stress.

I agree completely. Telling someone its mind over matter is just obnoxious. And ill informed if you have no idea what you are talking about. Lets just tell the overweight people its mind over matter, shall we.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

you can't even DO primal

come back with your pathetic input when you know the science and have the willpower to give up sugar - how pathetic indeed...where's your willpower troll?
    Very good point! They come onto a primal forum but blindly defend their bread and ice cream, and yet critise people with alcohol addictions.

I think people who ridicule people with insight into their wekaness, who are searching for answers, utter scum.

Whilst I would express it differently, or silently seeth in anger, I agree about the trolling. People are polite here Derpamix and Zach, but don't mistake that for people valuing your input - it is getting tired. Plu away by all means but lay off the people who are trying to discuss serious issues like addiction. If it was mind over matter "addiction" would be a redundant term. I think your input into this topic is shameful. So - go Quarry!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post

you can't even DO primal

I have given up sugar, and it screwed me over, ergo, not an addiction. I choose to eat sugar. Also, I don't even eat grains(aside from rice every now and again), so congratulations for making baseless assumptions. I can't even do primal? Puhlease, primal is nothing special. 99% of what I eat are primal friendly foods. Difference is, I'm not deathly afraid of neolithic substances because I'm not gullible. If what you mean is, I can't swallow everything Mark Sisson says about carbs blindly, then, yeah, I can't do that.

Btw, it's 30 bananas a day, mate.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katemary View Post
    I have a similar reaction to stress. Yet I can go months without. Yet...it is my go to for stress.

I agree completely. Telling someone its mind over matter is just obnoxious. And ill informed if you have no idea what you are talking about. Lets just tell the overweight people its mind over matter, shall we.

Very good point! They come onto a primal forum but blindly defend their bread and ice cream, and yet critise people with alcohol addictions.

I think people who ridicule people with insight into their wekaness, who are searching for answers, utter scum.

Whilst I would express it differently, or silently seeth in anger, I agree about the trolling. People are polite here Derpamix and Zach, but don't mistake that for people valuing your input - it is getting tired. Plu away by all means but lay off the people who are trying to discuss serious issues like addiction. If it was mind over matter "addiction" would be a redundant term. I think your input into this topic is shameful. So - go Quarry!
    I find it hilarious how you claim this forum is polite, while saying people are scum, and cheerleading a guy who is doing nothing but blindly spitting out insults. Of course, these posts go unnoticed. You're anything but polite, but continue to pat yourself on the back, you fit in well amongst the self-serving people of this forum.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

I have given up sugar, and it screwed me over, ergo, not an addiction. I choose to eat sugar. Also, I don't even eat grains(aside from rice every now and again), so congratulations for making baseless assumptions. I can't even do primal? Puhlease, primal is nothing special. 99% of what I eat are primal friendly foods. Difference is, I'm not deathly afraid of neolithic substances because I'm not gullible. If what you mean is, I can't swallow everything Mark Sisson says about carbs blindly, then, yeah, I can't do that.

Btw, it's 30 bananas a day, mate.
    Go troll another site then puhlease

I find it hilarious how you claim this forum is polite, while saying people are scum, and cheerleading a guy who is doing nothing but blindly spitting out insults. Of course, these posts go unnoticed. You're anything but polite, but continue to pat yourself on the back, you fit in well amongst the self-serving people of this forum.
    LOL. Oh you just make shit up. I think people who act scummy re people with addictions are pretty different to people tolerating your stupid obnoxious trolling posts. Completely sep issue. Did you read what she wrote?

Bye then if thats what you think about people here.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast